Thread: September hunting

Default September hunting

I'm thinking about going up there, but can't make it till September. What available hunting wise in early to mid September? Also what's the weather like by then?

Default huntin' september

Quote Originally Posted by 338mag View Post
    I'm thinking about going up there, but can't make it till September. What available hunting wise in early to mid September? Also what's the weather like by then?
    Weather: Rain likely - snow a possibility the furtrher north you go and up in high elevation.

What's available:
    •Black Bear
    •Moose - closes September 20th in most locations
    •Caribou - may be rut issues in bulls (others will know better than I)
    •Ptarmigan and Grouse
    •Bugs Bunny
    •Wolf, Fox, Coyote, and Wolverine (requires a lot of luck for some of these)

Guided ONLY for non-residents:
    •Sheep
    •Goats
    •Mr. Griz.

Lots of planning to do to pull off much of a hunt this late in the game. Check tis link for more info on seasons and regulations:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...gulations.main

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default I think its the best time...

I think the fall is the best time...the bears wanna eat, the moose wanna breed, and the rain keeps allot of other hunters at home. Just bring some kick-butt rain gear and a positive attitude and you'll have a blast.
    Last edited by Brian M; 05-31-2007 at 00:22. Reason: language
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Sitka Blacktailed deer, the best meat ever
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

What canivore said. The later you get in Sept and into Early Oct the more you have to deal with caribou in rut. Early to mid Sept I have never had a problem. Caribou would probably entail a fly out. Black bear can be hunted by driving and then hiking into areas, most will be feeding on late berries and anything else they can find to prepare for hibernation. ITs a good time to hunt. As far as weather, y2 has good advice. Although it varies by year, during a week long hunt you will get rained on and the chances increase the later you go. I've been snowed on during a 21 Sept hunt. I've also had sunshine a nice temperatures for an entire ten day hunt in mid September, although that would be exceedingly rare.

Default Carabou rut issues?

What issues? New to the concept of Carabou hunting. I've been pointed toward the Nak Nak area for fishing. Thought I might do a little of both, fish a few days then drive North? I'm guessing the Carbou are pretty far North.

In a simplified version, as the caribou go into rut, the bulls start drinking urine from the cows. It gets into the meat and with the additon of what usually happens to bulls during the rut, the meat starts to take on urine smell and taste. Its really bad. Most can't stomach the smell let alone th taste. That's one of the reasons I go early to mid Sept. The smaller bulls can be ok, but usually the big bulls are effected the most.

Default Sept hunting

IN GENERAL for most parts of the state the open season for sheep closes 20 Sept.