Thread: adding outside steering

Default adding outside steering

Boat purhase narrowed down to two boats. If I go with the Seasport I'll be looking to add an outside steering station. Ideas on shops in Anchorage area that can perform the work? Twin outboard motors.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Boat purhase narrowed down to two boats. If I go with the Seasport I'll be looking to add an outside steering station. Ideas on shops in Anchorage area that can perform the work? Twin outboard motors.
    If its a seastar steering system its a pretty simple install, mount helm, run a couple of hydraulic lines to it from the other helm, then bleed the system. Helm should cost aprox $300-350 plus cost of hydro lines, you can use copper tubing or parker makes a real nice rubber hose.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

An alternative:

TR-1 kicker autopilot with a remote. I think they run around $2,000 but I know people with them and they really like them a lot. Make sure you buy the complete kit as less expensive TR-1s are advertised online but they are not the complete kit.

Sobie2

I use the steering station more for running off the big motor than the kicker. Backing down on shrimp pots and the halibut skate, etc. Boat I"m looking at does have the TR-1 setup though.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

yup, outside steering sure make life nice for working gear & stuff......Like potbuilder said helms aren't to bad, I'd certainly go with parker hose over copper just for ease of install & stuff.....I'd think adding another set of controls might be a little more tricky if there not "fly-by-wire" & you got twins, not sure how they all link together but those cables can add up to a bunch of stuff to get back to the motors...I'd certainly investigate that part