Thread: Remington 700 sps Varmint or Varmint SF?

Default Remington 700 sps Varmint or Varmint SF?

Hello all,

I was reading around the web look at the Rem700 SPS varmint or the Varmint SF in .308win.
    I prefer the Remington actions and was hoping to utilize the 26" heavy barrel with 168gr and 175gr bullets.
    Ideally I would be punching paper to 200 yards then use it for hunting and vaminting out to 500+ yards.
    Does anyone have experience with either rifle? I heard Rem700s haven't been quality these past few years, but I could make do with ordering a slightly used target rifle from down south. I also would prefer the stainless barrel since I would like to use it in the boat (out at sea) and out on the tundra.

Anything helps,

Nanuaq2013

I have several Remingtons and they work fine for me. I try to stay with the 700's and shy away from the newer models. The only problems I have had was with the triggers. This was on just one riffle, a 700 in .223. We could not get the screws in the trigger broke loose to adjust it so we replaced it with a Timmey for about $100 from Midway USA. I have a 700 heavy barrel in 6mm that will shoot very well as long as I do my part.

Sorry it was a Timney trigger.

So, I've decided not go with a new remington 700...
    I found a Ruger M77 in 7mm rem mag circa 1979 in good condition for $475.
    I'll be posting about it later in the Shooting forum or elsewhere.
    Thanks!