Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peep or ghost sight

Default Peep or ghost sight

I have been playing with a paper and tape rear sight on my S&W 686 and think I would like to actually have a peep sight or ghost ring sight on a S&W 686. I understand that all the S&W revolver rear sights are the same so it would not matter for which S&W the sight might be marketed. Any one have an idea where I can purchase one? Thanks.

Might check if these folks can make one for your S&W
    http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/ohs-ruger.html
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'm not much help, but if it was a ruger I have one I'd sell cheap.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Travelers, Hmmm, You and Amigo Will got me thinking. Thats probably dangerous for me. How much would you want for the sight. Think it could be modified somehow to fit a Smith?

Its the windage screw on the S&W rear sight thats the main problem.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    I'm not much help, but if it was a ruger I have one I'd sell cheap.
    Does this imply you've tried the peep with your Ruger and found it lacking, or.....?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have one now on my Alaskan ad I like it a lot. Using two focal points insted of three is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I have one now on my Alaskan ad I like it a lot. Using two focal points insted of three is nice.
    Good to know Will, thanks. I've been considering trying one on my Blackhawks, but have been shy of their website which is a bit low budget looking, but more importantly, the payment portion of which is not secure (not https)...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

As far as I know nobody makes one for Smith. I think the Ruger sight can be fitted to the Smith but never done it and Ruger sight is may not look real spiffy on a Smith due to size.

I think the best bet is to buy a couple replacement Smith windage screws and have a new blade made for it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    ...and have a new blade made for it.
    I wish Bowen would make a peep type blade for his Rough Country.
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    He probably won't because it's just a gimmick. The whole point of an aperture sight is that it's close to your eye. This allows you to "peep" through it, while your eye automatically centers the front sight in the aperture but otherwise disregard it. This cannot happen at arm's length. So they cannot be as precise as a traditional notch & post. For fast work, you'd be better off with an express style sight that at least wouldn't obscure the target area.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
    He probably won't because it's just a gimmick. The whole point of an aperture sight is that it's close to your eye. This allows you to "peep" through it, while your eye automatically centers the front sight in the aperture but otherwise disregard it. This cannot happen at arm's length. So they cannot be as precise as a traditional notch & post. For fast work, you'd be better off with an express style sight that at least wouldn't obscure the target area.
    That's all subject to your individual eyesight. For many of us, it doesn't hold true.
    #Resist

I replaced my v rear with peep and group got alot smaller. I also have a couple rifles with peep mounted in the ballle dovetail and they also work great. The marbles bullseye is nice as well as the Skinner for barrel mounting but one needs to be used to shooting peeps.

I replaced my v rear with peep and group got alot smaller. I also have a couple rifles with peep mounted in the ballle dovetail and they also work great. The marbles bullseye is nice as well as the Skinner for barrel mounting but one needs to be used to shooting peeps.
    Yup they work great near the eye or way out with proper size of hole for those that can shoot them. I never could shoot them worth a hoot but Dad sure could . . . I think its because I have stigmatism in my eye, the hole is never round looking to my eye.

I have a new barrel mounted Skinner brass and black on my bench if anybody needs one. Smitty has a used blue one I think hed sell too, I put a new barrel on the gun with a fold down sight. They work real well foe most just not me.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    Travelers, Hmmm, You and Amigo Will got me thinking. Thats probably dangerous for me. How much would you want for the sight. Think it could be modified somehow to fit a Smith?
    How about $15, I must have give $25 or so...I can stick'em in a .35 envelope or however much postage is nowdays.

I think I've got 2 peeps, a beeg'em an a small one.......

My eye balls just didn't like'em............I've got peeps on a 1895 Marlin, ain't too good with those either.

I have to dig thru my boxes of parts to make sure I still have them....
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    I can stick'em in a .35 envelope....
    Yea them was the days . . . May as well call it fore bits next week, $.49
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Building guns in the shadow of Appalachia

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    We've tried it, with lackluster results. Didn't like'em, didn't have any luck with'em, plus there are too many variables (aperature size, height, etc.) so Hamilton hasn't, and probably won't, ever offer them as a production item.

Hope this doesn't violate forum guidelines, but we do have Rough Country blade blanks available if you have a 'smith to custom make a peep.

Chris

Connected via SkyNet

I replaced my v rear with peep and group got alot smaller.
    What front sight are you using with it, Will?
    #Resist

Travelers, I'll take em. See your private messages for the imformation you will need to send them. Thanks, I'll let you know how it works out.

I put a green dot front on the Alaskan. I have filed the front on blackhawks to make a bead shape and I've also just drilled a small hole in a front and epoxied in a copper plated 7 1/2 shot pellet. They work with a standard post heck a m-1 and m-14 is was got me into peeps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast