Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Really wish I had a shop!

  1. #1
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default Really wish I had a shop!

    I generally shy from project boats, but if this one didn't have any major issues after an inspection I'd probably jump on it.

    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/4285773768.html

    I figure for ~$50-60k I could fab up a swimstep/bracket, hang a pair of 175-200's drop in and plumb up ~160 gallons in fuel tanks and get some electronics in it.

    Impossible get a boat in that size with trailer and new engines for under $100k.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

    If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    It would take no less then a pair of 225's if not 300's. I have the shop, but not the time!

  3. #3
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    But they go so good with a single 230hp volvo diesel ?????

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  4. #4
    Member cormit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tustumena Lake Road
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    But they go so good with a single 230hp volvo diesel ?????
    I thought you hated outdrives?

  5. #5
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cormit View Post
    I thought you hated outdrives?
    I do whats the smiley for sarcasm ??

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  6. #6
    Member cormit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tustumena Lake Road
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Of course we know expecting an outdrive to hold up in a commercial boat is one thing ...... in a pleasure boat ...... that's a little different. A pair of 225 four strokes .... or bigger ... would likely cost more than a decent diesel with a drive leg.

  7. #7
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cormit View Post
    Of course we know expecting an outdrive to hold up in a commercial boat is one thing ...... in a pleasure boat ...... that's a little different. A pair of 225 four strokes .... or bigger ... would likely cost more than a decent diesel with a drive leg.
    I'd still go with the outboards ! The diesel is fine but no outdrives, take for example on the D series volvo's when it comes time to change u joints on those drives you have to buy the whole assembly, can't just change the u joint itself, the part alone is $850 !!! More volvo BS to deal with. It hits me funny on how in most of the boating world folks seem to hate outdrives while here and to a degree the west coast they just think they are great ?? You've built enough boats to see the all the problems with them, they are just a bundle of problems. Hey maybe you should buy that hull and make a whole new bolt on stern for it Now that would be one for the glass vs metal thread !!!

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  8. #8
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I do whats the smiley for sarcasm ??

    Here you go Steve.

  9. #9
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Here you go Steve.
    Thanks buddy i'll save that one, i'm sure i'll need it again !!

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  10. #10
    Member cormit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tustumena Lake Road
    Posts
    355

    Default

    I agree on the outdrive issues ....... and I've installed plenty of them. I'd pay more and go with outboards too. There's a lot to be said about not having an engine room, or in smaller boats ...... a hole through the deck where everything is hard to get to for service. This is a nice hull and would be a fun project ....... especially for someone with more energy left than me.

    I've fished a lot of different boats over the years .... and some of my favorites have been glass. One of the main reasons to build alloy boats was ..... you could make one in your own back yard just as good as the one you get from America. The one you have in your yard Steve would not be so easy to replicate for a back yard boat builder.

    I visited George Hamm's boat shop down in Homer back in the early 70's (he's very well known here on the peninsula). He was popping a hull from the mold and said it was the first one he thought he got everything just right ..... it was his 100th hull.

    Most of us that love boats love 'em all.

  11. #11
    Member JR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    I know a guy that was seriously looking at that boat but he thinks twin 175's would be enough HP... I told him 2x 200+ would do it. Not sure if he got serious, but at the price there has to be something very wrong.

    Mounting an aluminum offshore bracket on the back would not be a big problem, but what about the weight hanging off the back, the boat was designed for an in board diesel and moving 1000+ lbs from mid boat to hanging off the back can't be a good plan.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

  12. #12
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,120

    Default

    To help with weight, enclose the bracket so it adds bouyancy, like my Wolly. It would become a big pontoon off the back.

    BK

  13. #13
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cormit View Post
    I agree on the outdrive issues ....... and I've installed plenty of them. I'd pay more and go with outboards too. There's a lot to be said about not having an engine room, or in smaller boats ...... a hole through the deck where everything is hard to get to for service. This is a nice hull and would be a fun project ....... especially for someone with more energy left than me.

    I've fished a lot of different boats over the years .... and some of my favorites have been glass. One of the main reasons to build alloy boats was ..... you could make one in your own back yard just as good as the one you get from America. The one you have in your yard Steve would not be so easy to replicate for a back yard boat builder.

    I visited George Hamm's boat shop down in Homer back in the early 70's (he's very well known here on the peninsula). He was popping a hull from the mold and said it was the first one he thought he got everything just right ..... it was his 100th hull.

    Most of us that love boats love 'em all.
    I don't think it could be copied with all the curves in that hull, at least out of metal !! I love some boats more than others !!!! That SS would be a fun project but i'd have to spend a day or two really going over it before i pulled the trigger on it.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  14. #14
    Member cormit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tustumena Lake Road
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    To help with weight, enclose the bracket so it adds bouyancy, like my Wolly. It would become a big pontoon off the back.

    BK
    Agreed. Brackets that don't provide flotation can be big trouble on some boats. I like brackets that are an extension of bottom plane w/flotation ..... these have a better track record.

    Big motors on cantilevered brackets sometimes can dip too deep when powered off ..... especially while hanging on the hook in some swells while fishing. Water can get into the power head ..... fun ends soon after.

  15. #15
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,120

    Default

    Roger that, a full extension from the bottom would be smart. It makes the boat a couple feet longer and rides better as well.
    BK

  16. #16
    Member Sobie2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    1,039

    Default

    I am amazed that Steve didn't suggest a straight shaft diesel vee-drive (keep the weight as close to the stern as possible). That Seasport Navigator is very bow heavy and needs to float level with the waterline at the end of the project. An older style outboard bracket with minimum flotation would be best. I bet a pair of the new Yamaha F200 inline four cylinders would be the ticket.

    Sobie2

  17. #17
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    I am amazed that Steve didn't suggest a straight shaft diesel vee-drive (keep the weight as close to the stern as possible). That Seasport Navigator is very bow heavy and needs to float level with the waterline at the end of the project. An older style outboard bracket with minimum flotation would be best. I bet a pair of the new Yamaha F200 inline four cylinders would be the ticket.

    Sobie2
    vee-drives are #2 right after outdrives on the junk list !! LOL !!!

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  18. #18
    Member Cap'n Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Idaho/Valdez
    Posts
    980

    Default

    Ahhh...Steve! You really should go to the Seattle Boat Show and let us follow you around and listen to you critique all the boats (NOT it would be an education as well as a hoot!)

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    If you take a 28 SeaSport and add a 3ft extension you end up with a 31ft by 8ft boat. Then hang on the outboards add 2ft. This adds up to long and narrow, like a panga. I helped do an extension on a hamm hull. The extension was built by Fritz Creek welding. You could do an installed D-6 Volvo for the same price as two outboards and a extension.

  20. #20
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Ahhh...Steve! You really should go to the Seattle Boat Show and let us follow you around and listen to you critique all the boats (NOT it would be an education as well as a hoot!)
    Sure i'll go send me a ticket(for the plane that is) i'll pay my own way into the show !! I'd really like to wander around it really interests me how the sport/rec boaters see boats vs how a commercial fisherman sees a boat and rigging, the views on engine longevity before a replace/rebuild should be done are very different.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •