Thread: Kuiu 7000 reviews?

Default Kuiu 7000 reviews?

I have a chance to pick up a Kuiu 7000 for a good price. Does anyone have direct knowledge of using THIS pack in the field? I don't want a comparison to the "name other pack here", or "buy this pack instead". I have a buddy that's bailing and has THIS pack like new for sale cheap. I appreciate the knowledge of you guys.

Do you know what year the frame is? KUIU's outlet has a mixed year 7000 in it (brand new for $299)
    I have a 2013 ICON 7200. It works for me!
    Attachment 76316

Are the frames that differnent?

Some say the 2013 frame fixes issues the 2012 frame had. I didn't buy into the pack until 2013, so not sure exactly what those "2012 Issues" are. KUIU has a forum that might be worth searching for. There are also slight changes to the suspension. Will your buddy let you take his on a trial hike? I'd say if it is comfortable, works for you, and the price is lower than what you can get one from KUIU for then go for it. Otherwise go for the KUIU outlet one. Like all the big name companies they stand by products so its just matter of testing/proving it enough before you head out to the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Hekin View Post
    Some say the 2013 frame fixes issues the 2012 frame had. I didn't buy into the pack until 2013, so not sure exactly what those "2012 Issues" are. KUIU has a forum that might be worth searching for. There are also slight changes to the suspension. Will your buddy let you take his on a trial hike? I'd say if it is comfortable, works for you, and the price is lower than what you can get one from KUIU for then go for it. Otherwise go for the KUIU outlet one. Like all the big name companies they stand by products so its just matter of testing/proving it enough before you head out to the hills.
    Thanks! I appreciate the insight!

Quote Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
    Thanks! I appreciate the insight!
    No prob, if you ever end in Anchorage and want to check mine out let me know. Could be a lot of 2013s on sale in the various classifieds pretty soon. KUIU just introduced a brand new pack for 2014, the Ultra 6000.
    http://web.stagram.com/n/jasonmhairston/

I run the Icon 3000 and 5200, basically the same just a little smaller. They are awesome packs. Light but with all the features and quality. Meat suspension systems. Tons of pockets. Very comfortable padding and you can buy the different size bags and switch them out depending on the trip. If this deal doesn't happen, like another post pointed out, they are clearing out 5200s and 7200s for $299. Really wish I needed another one because that's an awesome deal.

Can anyone compare them to the barney's
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Can anyone compare them to the barney's
    Barney's=Dumptruck

Kuiu=Subaru

Barney's packs are made to haul more than the average man can even lift and the Kuiu pack sub 100lb loads, or IMHO for light loads or the guided hunter who has others to haul that extra weight. I think Kuiu is now on their 4th try at getting this pack frame to work. I love their clothes, but not their packs.

The Barney's are frame packs and the Kuiu is a carbon fiber frame sheet/internal pack, apples and oranges really.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I agree with what stid said, well except the subaru part, maybe a honda! LOL! I ran a Kuiu 7200 last year with a 2013 frame and I sold it after two hunts. I liked my Barney's bag way better. The fit, durability, ability to carry a load well, logical use of pockets...Kuiu just didn't have it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Barney's=Dumptruck

Kuiu=Subaru

Barney's packs are made to haul more than the average man can even lift and the Kuiu pack sub 100lb loads, or IMHO for light loads or the guided hunter who has others to haul that extra weight. I think Kuiu is now on their 4th try at getting this pack frame to work. I love their clothes, but not their packs.

The Barney's are frame packs and the Kuiu is a carbon fiber frame sheet/internal pack, apples and oranges really.

Steve

That's funny, but true. I bought the KUIU 7000 pack with the intent of it being a sheep hunting bag...after a couple test runs I changed my mind and took my barneys. Glad I did. Now, the only "hunting" trip my KUIU pack is coming on is for grouse or ptarmagin.

I think of it more as a Toyota vs a Dodge 2500, but that is just me. : ) My 2013 is nimble, a pretty good design (despite the changes), and tougher than it looks. The pack bag layout is what I have been looking for in pack. Love the pockets, the way the rifle secures, ability to last stuff here and there, the lid, its got it all.

I don't haul much more than 100lbs of anything, and I don't get out as much as Steve (Stid) does, but its been a great pack for me. I'm always tempted to try something else because I like gear, but the pack works and its a deal compared to the higher dollar packs. With all that said, the new Stone Glacier 7400 at $620 is something I'd like to test alongside my ICON. I dig the videos I have seen.