Thread: 405 in Alaska?

Default 405 in Alaska?

Any-one have any experience with the 405 in Alaska-Yukon? ! bought the Win 95 replica when they first came out but always end up taking a longer range rifle when I go hunting.

This year I might try for a bison and am thinking about my 95 again. It does well on the 200 yard gong at the range. I settled on 300 grain Hornady spires for moose but might switch to Woodleighs or TSX for bison. The Barnes TSX need to be loaded a bit lighter and require re-sighting to use but they are very accurate in my gun.

Love my 95

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJXK...r7OAnV0ceWlkmw

405 bullet study

Talk to Teddy Roosevelt, err, read his memoirs. He had a lot to say on the subject. Shot all sorts of big animals with a 405 Win. I'm saving up for an original 1895 Winchester myself to hunt with. (More likely in 30-06) I recently started a thread titled 30-30 versus discussing lever gun options that weren't 30-30, and the 405 came up there too. (As did a discussion of those Miroku lever guns. Guess you are yet another satisfied owner-I have yet to meet one who wasn't.) Anyway, yeah, if I had a 95 in 405, I'd use it. But my opinion is worth what you pay for it.

A bud of mine has the Ruger #1 in 405. In his hands on moose, elk, wild boar, deer and one mountain goat, he sezz a repeater is kinda superfluous. He's never needed a second shot.

For big game he's really snorted up the loads beyond what a 95 is probably capable of handling, so there's no point in talking about them. He said there's no such thing as a bad bullet for the round. However, in between big game hunts he shoots mostly cast at moderate to low velocities, including very light loads for head-hunting snowshoe hare. He shoots it enough, it's easy to understand why he doesn't need a 95. Gotta give you lots of confidence in the round, in any case.

One of my hunting partners took caribou with one. Had to wait for his shot but really enjoyed the hunt. Jim