Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some info guys, on a RG Industries .22mag Derringer

Default I need some info guys, on a RG Industries .22mag Derringer

I have googled this and not came up with much. Top of the bbl says the above along with Miami FL. Curious to what its actually worth, it is blued, in great condition, locks up tight, both firing pins dent old brass just fine. From what I can gather, they mimicked the Rhom .22mag which used to imported. In research, I came up with a value of $75-$100 for exc condition. Any advice you have offer that I have not dug up yet would great! Thanks, Chris

I would not trust it for much. I have seen many RG pistols with the trigger broken off after a few shots with the 60's and 70's pistols and think it may have been a safety feature. Others may have seen some of better quaility.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

RG was just an importer, if I recall correctly. They'd go looking for the cheapest source of any model, then import and peddle that. Back in the 60's and 70's when I worked behind the counter in two stores, both quit selling the line entirely. The return rate for problems was astronomical, and the hassle for the little bit of income simply wasn't worth it. Not indicting your derringer specifically, because it could very well have come from a good run in a good factory. But I'd say the odds aren't with you on that piece holding up.

Kinda what you guys are saying is what I have gathered from the internet. But read that RG started producing its own once they were not allowed to import the Rhom any more. It locks up tight, feels nice. Has bbl liners, and trigger feels good also. Will get some ammo and give it a go! Not hoping for much, but seems it should be a shooter anyways. I didn't pay for it, luckily, but traded some old old gear. One's man trash is another mans treasure ya know.

$75 for any RG firearm sounds right, but even that sounds a little high given that they have such a bad reputation, it will be hard to sell it to anyone at any price, which really makes the value zero. That said, I once owned an RG branded 38 snub nose revolver. It was the quintessential example and text book definition of "Saturday Night Special." It would fire basic target ammo okay. I was always afraid to shoot higher power ammo in it. Like you, my dad got in some sort of a trade or something, probably bartered for work done. Anyway, it was a good, cheap, "throw down" type of gun that I rarely fired, but it lived in the glove box of my truck until someone stole it from there while parked in my driveway. I don't think I even bothered to report it.

In your case, I'd say take it to a gunsmith and get a clean bill of health for it. (That alone might cost as much as it's worth.) If it checks out as safe, use it sparingly.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    If it checks out as safe, use it sparingly.

And very cautiously.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

found ammo today. will give it a go while out snowmachining or something. It all checks out. No pits, everything works. Good beefy derringer. Don't see anything or reason as to why it would be unsafe. A revolver, yeah I'd be more hesitant, but there is not much to this derringer. Am I wrong in this thinking? Bbl are super beefy, gun locks up tight. Seems minimal what could go wrong with it. There is powder and such in bbls, so its been fired. Well cared for guy said. I had actually listed what I traded here for free in swap n sell, not takers, he was thrilled, so I seen as a fair deal. Snowboard was still rideable in great condition.

RG is an abbreviation for Rohm Gelleschaft, the outfit that made the derringer in Germany. Probably in the 60's or 70's. Imported by a couple different outfits. FIE being one based in Florida. Generally an OK design, just made with poor materials. Failures are common, and if parts are needed, it can be a headache. It'll probably go bang, but for how many rounds is the question.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    RG is an abbreviation for Rohm Gelleschaft, the outfit that made the derringer in Germany. Probably in the 60's or 70's. Imported by a couple different outfits. FIE being one based in Florida. Generally an OK design, just made with poor materials. Failures are common, and if parts are needed, it can be a headache. It'll probably go bang, but for how many rounds is the question.
    On top of the bbl it says, RG Ind modxx Miami Florida. Read somewhere that they started reproducing them as the original Rohm was banned eventually. But no info on quality or price of said copy design. Might have read it was better than Rohm, but can't remember after looking at so many sites and forums.

I was given this ol thing a few years back. Not RG. Falke 43 it's 22LR but gunbugs mentioned Germany. Is this related?

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I was given this ol thing a few years back. Not RG. Falke 43 it's 22LR but gunbugs mentioned Germany. Is this related?

Yup, very similar, almost identical. Your barrels flip too. I have been to busy to keep trying to dig up info, but I am assuming mine is not imported, and therefore a better gun. Barrel inserts look similar. Your frame looks cast? Sure mine would be too. I bought 200rnds of 22mag yesterday, don't plan on shooting that many ever, but am gonna give it a good run! You like yours? What do you want for yours? Im kinda liking these things, always wanted one. The one I got came about in a roundabout way, we just kept texting about prices for my gear, then he mentioned his derringer out of the blue.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Oh Yeah, I had a Derringer that was similar, many years ago. I dunno if it was the same brand.

It was chambered for 22 LR. The trigger was awful, and the slide on the side didn't work too well, and the shells didn't extract easily. As I recall, it didn't lock up very tight either. Maybe, that's why the extraction problem.

It just wasn't something I could enjoy shooting, so I sold it.

It was easy to sell, because it was Chrome or Nickel plated, and had pearl grips.

More recently, a friend of mine had a blued one in 32 cal. to carry when we were running. The trigger was so hard, firing it almost required a vice to fire it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Oh Yeah, I had a Derringer that was similar, many years ago. I dunno if it was the same brand.

It was chambered for 22 LR. The trigger was awful, and the slide on the side didn't work too well, and the shells didn't extract easily. As I recall, it didn't lock up very tight either. Maybe, that's why the extraction problem.

It just wasn't something I could enjoy shooting, so I sold it.

It was easy to sell, because it was Chrome or Nickel plated, and had pearl grips.

More recently, a friend of mine had a blued one in 32 cal. to carry when we were running. The trigger was so hard, firing it almost required a vice to fire it.

Smitty of the North

This one I have has 3 positions with the hammer. First click pulled back to is top chamber. Pulled all the way back, is lower chamber. In the middle is where the safety can be applied. Trigger pulls very smooth and somewhat light for what it is. When in the possition for safety, not sure if it can be pulled really hard to fire, it moves a tad, but not forced it. Simple enough to pull the hammer all the way or first click, wouldn't trust half cocked with safety, till I know how it fully works when fully loaded. The lever at the bottom, like on Snyds, can be tightened or loosened, if needed. Surprised how mine feels really.

Would be nice to pin point it exactly on what it is I have, if a actual Rohm, or an american made version. Will post pics if I find time to take and down load. Thanks for the info so far guys!

I've never shot this one. It feels cheap, rough, stiff and the finish seems like spray paint. Maybe I'll mess around with it.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    This one I have has 3 positions with the hammer. First click pulled back to is top chamber. Pulled all the way back, is lower chamber. In the middle is where the safety can be applied. Trigger pulls very smooth and somewhat light for what it is. When in the possition for safety, not sure if it can be pulled really hard to fire, it moves a tad, but not forced it. Simple enough to pull the hammer all the way or first click, wouldn't trust half cocked with safety, till I know how it fully works when fully loaded. The lever at the bottom, like on Snyds, can be tightened or loosened, if needed. Surprised how mine feels really.

Would be nice to pin point it exactly on what it is I have, if a actual Rohm, or an american made version. Will post pics if I find time to take and down load. Thanks for the info so far guys!
    I don't think mine worked like that.

It's been a long time.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

It worked! Low felt recoil, didn't check for accuracy, just blasted off for checking function. Both chambers went off! LOL, made my day! If fully cocked twice, noticed the other day something moves down in there to select the bbl. The first click/cocking stop def moves the firing pin when empty and action open. Didn't try to fire it that way, yet

Cobra makes Derringers too. Some are Big Bores, like 45 LC/410, 9mm, 38 special.

http://www.cobrapistols.net/

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

It looks like a good gun to me. There's one on GunsAmerica for $150.00 . That one has "Germany", on the side.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I've got an EIG, made in Italy, that's almost identical. Mine's chrome with faux ivory grips. Derringers that style, made overseas, couldn't be imported when the Government banned "Saturday Night Specials."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast