Thread: Vehicle Vandalism on the Elliot and Dalton Highways

Default Vehicle Vandalism on the Elliot and Dalton Highways

I had my 20 inch LED light bar stolen off of my truck during New Years at the Wickersham Dome trailhead. I reported it to the state troopers and they said there has been a lot of vandalism and theft along the Elliot and Dalton Highways over the past month or so. Just take extra precautions if you are planning to be out in those areas. Some things I could have done to mitigate the theft was not park by the entrance so my vehicle wasn't so visible and an easier target. Also, I could have parked facing the snow bank instead of backing into my parking spot so my light wasn't immediately visible. Hope no one else becomes a victim.

That sucks hate thieves hope you get some closure on this

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like a good place to bait thieves. Season is open!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Gee, theives near Delta. What a surprise.

Seriously though... If the state can stick an LEO on a spruce chicken decoy at the end of a gravel road in the middle of nowhere with the hope of writing a ticket, why can they stick an LEO on a bait truck at various popular trailheads covered by video camera to allow them to arrest some of these theives and vandals? Wouldn't take too many guys being dealt criminal convictions with some media coverage before the word would gets out that hitting vehicles at trailheads is a really bad idea.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Sapper View Post
    I had my 20 inch LED light bar stolen off of my truck during New Years at the Wickersham Dome trailhead. I reported it to the state troopers and they said there has been a lot of vandalism and theft along the Elliot and Dalton Highways over the past month or so. Just take extra precautions if you are planning to be out in those areas. Some things I could have done to mitigate the theft was not park by the entrance so my vehicle wasn't so visible and an easier target. Also, I could have parked facing the snow bank instead of backing into my parking spot so my light wasn't immediately visible. Hope no one else becomes a victim.
    Don't feel alone....it's been happening down here as well. People that x-country ski around the Turnagain Pass area come back to find their cars have been broke into. For awhile the Clam Gulch access area to Caribou Hills was getting bad as well. Word got out though some time ago so don't know how that's been now. All I know is I took my old F250 up to park off the side of the road instead of my new(er) Jeep just for that reason.

It's getting to the point that a guy can't even park and go for a walk without having to worry about this now.

Pretty pathetic for sure...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Some folks work really hard at being crooks. Probably what is needed are a couple of dead thieves....

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    Some folks work really hard at being crooks. Probably what is needed are a couple of dead thieves....
    Yeah, they might think twice if it was legal for people to shoot someone that was breaking into their car.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Gee, theives near Delta. What a surprise.
    Wickersham Dome trailhead is nowhere near Delta.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Forget law enforcement, these guys just need a good beat-down, to within an inch of losing their life. They won't do it again. Running them through the justice system just costs us money and gives them a slap on the wrist.

I read in the Wasilla "paper" a short time ago that the Troopers are putting several officers on theft duty. So sad that so many people find stealing a "job" and have no concern for the persons that worked hard at a job to buy stuff in the first place.

I agree some drastic action will be needed to stop these actions. Please remember these theives have "rights". I can't remember the details but a couple of theives were very active breaking into houses/cabins and some locals found out who they were. I think the locals got into some trouble when they confronted the theives.

There was an incident a few years back in Nikiski where the theives were discovered.
    The troopers were slow to respond but the locals were not.
    The troopers told the locals that vigilante justice was not allowed.
    The locals told the troopers that if they wouldn't respond in a timely manner that vigilante justice would happen again!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    I read in the Wasilla "paper" a short time ago that the Troopers are putting several officers on theft duty. So sad that so many people find stealing a "job" and have no concern for the persons that worked hard at a job to buy stuff in the first place.

I agree some drastic action will be needed to stop these actions. Please remember these theives have "rights". I can't remember the details but a couple of theives were very active breaking into houses/cabins and some locals found out who they were. I think the locals got into some trouble when they confronted the theives.
    The fb site is stop valley thieves ,they basicly shamed the troopers into finally doing something to bad it had to come to that.But it is working

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    ...remember these theives have "rights"...
    They sure do...they have the "right" to look down the receiving end of a gun barrel !!!
    "Grin and Bear It"

This was an issue a few years back at wickersham trailhead and people were blaming it on the Minto folks but the troopers finally caught up with the thieves and it was a couple of meth heads from Fairbanks or North pole can't remember which one. There was also an issue on Murphy dome with vandalism and theft and when the troopers caught them it was teenagers that lived fairly close by so apparently troopers do catch them on occasion.
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Default catch the bums

We're hearing of so many guide violations lately; maybe the troopers can make some good can come of that.

Confiscate some fine looking hunter's/guides' vehicles, park them at a trailhead with some nice looking (yet rendered inoperable) firearms (also confiscated elsewhere). Then focus 5 or more game cams (also confiscated) on the situation and catch the bums.

I'm just thinking that the troopers already have free access to all the bait they need if they want to go catch these stealin' bums before they steal/vandalize more hunters' vehicles parked at trailheads.

This is far from a new situation. Time to turn up the heat on catching those bums.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yeah, they might think twice if it was legal for people to shoot someone that was breaking into their car.....
    Who says it isn't legal.