Thread: How was your PWS deer hunt this year?

Default How was your PWS deer hunt this year?

So let's hear about it. How was your PWS deer hunt this year?

I went out twice. The week before Thanksgiving we saw three deer. One may have been a spike, but it took off before we could get close enough to confirm. The others were a doe with fawn. The last week of December I saw one doe. And, there wasn't even much for tracks out there. 'Course, there wasn't much for snow, either.

So... no venison this year.

On the up side, from what I saw, this is shaping up to be a pretty mild year as far as the weather goes. So maybe things will start getting better in the next couple of years.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

PWS Deer and Bear for 2014. Is there any recomendations for a transportation/hunt for this fall? Preferably a boat style hunt so we can move around.

Lucky,
    Check into Matt Cline's operation, Aquatech. He has ads on Craigslist and Alaskaslist. Cathy G is the name of the big boat.

Also hunted twice, once in mid Nov and another in Mid Dec. Saw one deer, hardly any tracks.
    I personally don't know of anyone harvesting deer out there this past fall with any real success. Roger45 shot one while he was with Aquatechs outfit, but that was it.
    Hopefully this low snow year reduces the winter kill #'s.
    BK
    BK

Thanks, I have contacted them and Good Time Charters. I've been unable to get any harvest or winter kill information from ADFG. Plan to book a Black Bear and Deer combo if possible. Other than Montague Island, never hunted out of Whittier. In 2011 the deer were thick on Montague but I know they got hit hard since.

I went out on October 1st and picked up two does and a buck in two days of hunting with my Dad. Not that much sign and only saw a few other deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fish and game do not track much on winter kill of deer in the sound. They use pellet counting methods for determining count numbers. This spring/summer then will walk the same portions of ground that they have done in the past and "count pellets" to compare against previous year's counts - this gives them an idea of whether there are more or less deer in the sound.