Thread: RCBS Powder Measure

Default RCBS Powder Measure

I have a rcbs powder measure that I use to throw my loads then trickle until I get them where I want them. When I work the handle on the measure all the powder will not fall out until I move the drum from side to side a couple times. I am calling the drum the piece that the handle fastens to. I can push it all the way to one side then back to the other side and a little more powder will fall out. It works good and throws consistent loads as long as I remember to push it from side to side each time. Anybody else had this problem?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    I have a rcbs powder measure that I use to throw my loads then trickle until I get them where I want them. When I work the handle on the measure all the powder will not fall out until I move the drum from side to side a couple times. I am calling the drum the piece that the handle fastens to. I can push it all the way to one side then back to the other side and a little more powder will fall out. It works good and throws consistent loads as long as I remember to push it from side to side each time. Anybody else had this problem?
    Wal, yew gotta be consistent in the operation, alright, but and abrupt ending of the handle should clang all the powder out. From your description it sounds like something is amiss. ????

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

On my rcbs thrower, I slap the handle smartly to the stop when dropping the powder then give it a couple more whacks to make sure all powder is out.
    I also have an old Lyman 55 which has a little knocker built on the front and I give it a couple of whacks after dropping the powder. I have done it that way for so long I don't even think about it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    On my rcbs thrower, I slap the handle smartly to the stop when dropping the powder then give it a couple more whacks to make sure all powder is out.
    I also have an old Lyman 55 which has a little knocker built on the front and I give it a couple of whacks after dropping the powder. I have done it that way for so long I don't even think about it any more.
    Same here, beat them up pretty good and always the same way. Been a long time since I used my RCBS (need to replace the hopper on that one) but the side to side sounds odd, like the cylinder isnít fitting right or something.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Same here, beat them up pretty good and always the same way. Been a long time since I used my RCBS (need to replace the hopper on that one) but the side to side sounds odd, like the cylinder isnít fitting right or something.
    Agreed all around. I use mine the same as you (and the same way each time), but Cast Iron's machine seems out of whack. No side-to-side movement in mine, even after 40+ years.

My only complaint is with small charges, whether using the large chamber or small. I get more variation than I'd like, but it's the nature of beast I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Not sure about the side to side action. My RCBS's have no sided to side slop. You might review the directions for set up. Sounds though like the powder is bridging somewhere. Soem thoughts:
    Verify you have the proper size nozzle on the bottom, You might need the one with the bigger hole, especially for stick powder.
    Some folks short stroke and rap the handle twice to the top of the stroke each charge. Don't double charge. Be consistent.
    You might has a static charge as well, rub the plastic reservoir with a dryer sheet, and rubber band the sheet to the reservoir to combat our dry air in Alaska. Or buy a Harrell.
    Thanks!

I have had mine for several years also. It weights very accurate as long as I pop it side to side. It only moves a few thousands, not much at all. If I am using loads of say 50 to 75 grains it can be off as much a 5 grains if I don't pop it side to side. If I pop it side to side it will usually throw loads in this range to less than 1/10 of a grain difference. The powder you are using makes a lot of difference also.

I always tap twice at the top of the stroke and again at the bottom. If I don't I have never had good luck throwing consistant weight. Like others have said, find your way and stick with it, I have found this to be better for my loads.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    My only complaint is with small charges, whether using the large chamber or small. I get more variation than I'd like, but it's the nature of beast I think.
    That's a bummer. It's the variations in small charges that make the biggest differences. Imagine a +/- .2gr difference in a 4.5gr pistol charge versus a +/- .2gr difference in a 98gr magnum rifle charge. That would be about 5% versus 0.2%.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    That's a bummer. It's the variations in small charges that make the biggest differences. Imagine a +/- .2gr difference in a 4.5gr pistol charge versus a +/- .2gr difference in a 98gr magnum rifle charge. That would be about 5% versus 0.2%.
    Hmm, Yeah, that's enough to sober up even a non-drinker like me.

I never thought of it being so PRONOUNCED.

I seldom use such light charges, but when I do, I THINK I BETTER WEIGH THEM.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.