View Poll Results: Which Handgun Caliber for Women's Personal Protection?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
  • 9 MM

9 27.27%

4 12.12%

12 36.36%

1 3.03%

4 12.12%

0 0%

2 6.06%
  • Other

1 3.03%

Thread: Women's Compact Handgun Caliber Poll

Default Women's Compact Handgun Caliber Poll

Which would you choose and why? I am thinking of buying a compact handgun for my wife for personal protection. I confess I am not a handgun aficionado. Any help would be appreciated. Also your what are your preferences for the action and make? Revolver or semi-auto? Beretta, Glock, Colt, Smith and Wesson, Ruger etc.?

Thats a loaded question, no pun intended. Its hard to say what is a good caliber or handgun without knowing her abilities with a hand gun, or knowing her build as far as hand size, strength, and recoil tolerance.
    I started my wife with a Walther P22. I taught her to shoot and we even went to a hand gun proficency class and got our CCL. After a year, she was ready to move up. I considered a 9mm and we went and she handled a few different types and models. She didn't like the revolvers and opted to stick with a semi. She settled on a SigSauer P238 (380). Not quite a 9mm, but it is small framed, compact and built on a 1911 style frame. I also got one for myself, and its an awesome pocket pistol.
    My sister carries an Smith and Wesson M&P Compact .40 and can handle it well, but she wishes she had gotten a 9mm because the recoil of the .40 is a bit more than she likes.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

My wife likes the SIG P230 and P239 pretty well. She's not a fan of revolvers at all and hates Glocks.

Every lady is different though…best advice is to take her shopping and let her pick it out.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I bought the Wife a S&W Ladysmith .38 before we got married. She shot it well for many years and it is still her bedroom gun. After we bought our property in AK she started to think she needed to shoot something a bit bigger and for some reason she didn't shoot the short .38 as well as she once did. She loves shooting the 6" 657. She has no interest in the autos.

Edit: Find a way to let HER shoot a bunch of different guns; different cal., weight, barrel length, styles, etc. Explain what the advantages are to each. Let HER decide what SHE wants.

10mm; available in a compact piece, has as great or greater velocity as a .357 if loaded correctly, good accuracy, 9 or more in the mag, depending upon specific make and model, accurate, and heavier projectiles than the average/typical 158 grn .357, while offering better velocity (by a little bit) and more bullets than a six-gun.

Her compact stnls gun (which I likely use more than she does), however, is an old Ruger Speed-Six stnls, 2-3/4".

For any limited time she might one day again spend in the woods, she has a custom .454 Casul in 4-5/8" bbl, with hardened lead Buffalo Bore and similar Cor Bon in both .45 Colt and .454 Casul. (*Those buggers slap my palm more crisply than my 4" .500 Mag. due to the reduced size of her .454. Things you realize -after- the fact, and wish you'd considered earlier).....

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    ...Find a way to let HER shoot a bunch of different guns; different cal., weight, barrel length, styles, etc. Explain what the advantages are to each. Let HER decide what SHE wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    …best advice is to take her shopping and let her pick it out.
    'nuff said.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

That women ain't gonna tell ME what to do, and I'm quite capable of deciding what she likes. And, brave enough to tell her.

I vote 38, in a revolver, of course.

It's versatile, reliable, and manageable, (if it isn't a snubbie.)

That's my FIRST choice.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

It seems like right now a lot of decisions probably should take into consideration ammunition availability, unfortunately. Here in the interior we're starting to see more 9mm and .357. I'm a female-type person and have a Glock 20SF I carry for protection outdoors; if I were to carry for personal protection I'd probably go with a G29 just for convenience. But, what works for one person isn't necessarily going to work for someone else, and I think the best advice you've gotten so far is to let her try some different guns and decide for herself.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Ask the women's forum if they'd run that thread over there for you & send you their final answers? I bet they've got some serious thoughts on what makes a good gun? (and what colors it could come in?) Sorry, couldn't resist... :-)

Bought my wife a Ruger LCP .380 auto and she's carried it every day since we "broke it in" at the range with a couple boxes. Very manageable recoil, fits in her purse easily, I secretly wanted it so I wasn't too worried about her liking it or not!

When my wife and I were looking for a carry gun for her, I decided the best way to handle it was to let her choose. But often, that's not easy to do. Sure you can go to a store and fiddle with the guns unloaded, but that's only half the story. So I contacted friends. Basically said, "Hey guys, wanna have a range day? My wife's looking for a carry gun. Everyone bring your toys and I'll provide the ammo we shoot." Ended up bringing out around 9-10 people (one guy loved the idea so much he brought his 14 yr old son as a way to introduce him to firearms). She shot everything from a Sig P238 to an H&K USP .45 with plenty of S&W's, XD's, and Glocks sprinkled in there. She ended up not liking the .380s because they were too sharp on the recoil. The guns are usually lighter and more recoil is felt by the shooter. She loved the .45's but they were too heavy to carry comfortably. In fact, she loved the XD .45 so much she told the guy if he ever wanted to sell it, to call us first. In the end, she chose a Glock 26. It's not for everyone, but she loves it. I think what really made her most happy was that she got to figure out what she liked (no external safeties) and what she didn't like (pocket pistols). Really, it's not the gun she chose, it's the way she chose it. She carries it every day now.

My wife didn't like the LC9, but loves her M&P Shield. She likes her XDM converted to 460 row. for fishing and hiking when the 45-70 GG is not around.

I bought my wife the Ruger LCP .380 She has had it two years. Last night she told me she wants something bigger(in a pistol). We are going to have her shoot as many as possible. I hope she likes a semi auto in the .40. She has no problem with my revovers in .357 and .44 so I dont have much worry over that .40 as far as recoil

My wife had been carrying her Glock 27 (.40 S&W) for years and she's very good with it. I recently bought a Ruger LCR for her because it is lighter and easier for her to conceal. She likes it but in her mind the recoil is not nearly as comfortable as the G27.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

S&W small frame .357 and give her .38 wadcutters to shoot.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

The new Glock 42 in 380 ACP looks like a winner