Thread: Outfitter Info

Default Outfitter Info

Whats the best way to research an outfitter? I am thinking of going on a New Mexico Elk or Oryx hunt. I've found this outfitter online, Extreme Hunting Adventures, http://www.newmexico1outfitter.com/testimonials.html, which looks like they offer what I may be looking for.
    Has anyone done a NM Elk or Oryx hunt or possibly used these guys? I would like to research several outfitters if possible but haven't ever used an outfitter and I am not exactly sure how to verify the reputation of any outfitters. Where do I start and how do I find out if an outfitter is reputable and won't screw me over?
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Are you looking to do a private ranch tag or apply for the draw? Most draws are very low odds as I'm sure your aware, I don't know these guys but if you would like to pm me i can give you some info on outfitter I have hunted with.

I was looking at the private ranch hunts.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

www.bowsite.com has an outfitter review section, where people who have gone on guided hunts can review the outfitter. There is a rating system for food, equipment, amount of game seen etc... The outfitter also has a chance to respond to the review.

Hope I am not upsetting the apple cart by steering you to another site? If so...maybe this is a feature this forum may want to look into?

Hope this helps?

Ask them for a list of everybody who has hunted your particular hunt for the last couple years. Successful and unsuccessful. Call them all to ask about the hunt. Prepare a list is specific questions ahead of time. Also ask each one if they know of anybody else who has hunted there. Good spots tend to have alot of repeat customers. Hearing lots of stories lately about some sketchy NM outfits so research is key.

I will recommend Limestone Outfitters they are a bunch of great guys, I used them for a Mt. Lion and they were wonderful if you are looking for average hard working ranch guys... I dont know what the prices are for an Elk hunt but they kill some giants in that area, Darrell Welty is the main guide and his sons help him with the business tough as nails, my kind of people hunt hard and have a beer or two at night, plus they always had some Copenhagen with too... I love sitting on the side of a mountain glassing with dip in... Limestomeoutfitters.org

Thanks to everyone that has responded. I am leaning more towards an Oryx hunt in the SW part of the state. I have a place to archery elk hunt anytime I decide to go, not a trophy hunt place by any means, but it would only costs me airfare. Free range Oryx, on the other hand, is pretty much a NM guided hunt or an Africa hunt. Economically, NM is more feasable and I would get to keep all the meat and the trophy. If anyone has done one of the private ranch Oryx hunts, you could let me know who you used and how the hunt went.