Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Brooks Range sheep archery season

Default New Brooks Range sheep archery season

The Western/Arctic Board of Game meetings are concluding in Kotz right now and it looks like they passed Prop 32. Prop 32 established an early Aug 1-9 archery season for sheep in the Brooks Range. You bowhunters might look into changing your tickets....

Check it out.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...eting=kotzebue

Yk

Ohhh man.... I likely can't get after that this year, but if this is real and lasts more than a year, this opens up some huge opportunities! With my wife and I being teachers that have to go back to work on August 14th this year (13th next year), this might make a periodic early season hunt a reality for us. Success will be low, but what an awesome opportunity!

Prop 32 doesn't show for me at that link. Would someone please copy and paste details??!

They are .pdf so I can't link directly. Under the "Meeting Summary" the document will state Prop 32 is "C" (carried)

Under the "Meeting Documents" look under Western/Arctic Region Proposals (third down) and scroll down to Prop 32 to read the proposed text. They may have made minor tweaks when they passed it, but generally it should read as proposed.

Now that I'm reading the proposal in more detail, there is one interesting possible issue. In the proposal, it was first stated that the archery season was for the Arctic/Western Region (Region V) and then in the next line says "all northern and northcentral units where there is a current general sheep season" I assume the author meant the second one, since Region V covers a relatively small amount of sheep country (mostly draw at that) and would consequently make for fairly worthless hunting season.

I assume the BOG clarified that, but I don't have the transcripts in hand. Anybody listen in?

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post

Now that I'm reading the proposal in more detail, there is one interesting possible issue. In the proposal, it was first stated that the archery season was for the Arctic/Western Region (Region V) and then in the next line says "all northern and northcentral units where there is a current general sheep season" I assume the author meant the second one, since Region V covers a relatively small amount of sheep country (mostly draw at that) and would consequently make for fairly worthless hunting season.

I assume the BOG clarified that, but I don't have the transcripts in hand. Anybody listen in?

Yk
    Ok, just figured this out. There is an identical twin proposal (Prop 47) that covers the remainder of GMU 26 and 25 coming before the Interior Meeting of the BOG in February. The currently passed proposal covers only the western Brooks. Then next one (if passed) would cover the more popular areas.

Considering they passed the first one.... I assume the chances of passing the second one are pretty good?

Under the March statewide proposals there is one (133 under Hunters Ed) that will require all archery hunters to have a bow certification for any big game. If that passes, and I think it would since it lines up with another proposal by F&G, then sheep bow hunters for Proposal 32 will need to get into a class as soon as possible if they don't already have their IBEP.

Sheep hunters also need to review statewide proposals 169, 170, and 171. 171 is funny, the author appears to be mad. Well worth the read.

Click here and then open the Statewide PDF link on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Under the March statewide proposals there is one (133 under Hunters Ed) that will require all archery hunters to have a bow certification for any big game. If that passes, and I think it would since it lines up with another proposal by F&G, then sheep bow hunters for Proposal 32 will need to get into a class as soon as possible if they don't already have their IBEP.
    Regardless of 133, folks wanting to hunt the early bow-only season would still have to have their IBEP. That restriction applies to any bow-only season such as the early archery moose hunt in units 14 and 16. I think it would be great to require certification for any bowhunting regardless of whether it is archery-only or not, but it seems that the restriction would already apply to any new bow-only sheep hunts.

The fly in the ointment is all of our remote hunting brothers that don't have access to certification resources and have been hunting archery longer than any of us. Urban wired hunters don't stress these things. We should always remember users of the resources that don't surf the internet and make "middle class" wages.

What I find odd about this approval, is that the BOG has adamantly been against opening the season early for residents only, on the premise that it will add additional pressure and harvest. Yet when the bow hunters ask, they receive, no questions asked. IMO this is no different than pitting NR against Residents. Its a select group of people that get their own season.

This will only increase pressure on the resource and put more hunters in the field not less. I realize that bow hunters don't kill many, but it all adds up. The bow hunters that were hunting in rifle season will now hunt early, and a few "booked" slots with guides and transporters just opened up in rifle season to be filled. Maybe I'm just being paranoid?

I don't really agree giving a special season to a select user group. Draw hunts in urban areas for management purposes I understand. A head start on a regular season just because of a weapon choice seems biased.

Bow hunting is a chosen handicap not a real one.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperJ View Post
    A head start on a regular season just because of a weapon choice seems biased.
    What is the reason for bow hunters getting to hunt first?
    "Grin and Bear It"

I really like the idea and am glad the BOG is considering such hunts. If you feel it is an advantage or head start then get yourself a bow, get certified and go sheep hunting. My guess is that most people don't think they could do it but will ***** about it instead. Look at the bright side, all of the rifle hunters will have less competition during the regular season. Sheep hunting with archery equipment is very difficult, I'm guessing the guys who kill one would have been able to do so during the regular season anyway. I don't think more sheep will be taken just a few taken sooner. Not a big deal really but it is nice to see archers get thrown a bone in a general season type hunt.

There is already a 10 mile bow only corridor up there already. Why only the Brooks? Why not the entire state? More to this than meets the eye IMHO. I say this as a certified bow and sheep hunter.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Wasn't complaining about it, just looking for the reason why some of those hunts let the bow hunters have first crack at the game, regardless of the species...a definite advantage.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Um, no.....I'm a bowhunter myself and think this is going to open a can of worms. The fact that you can use a bow at any time for any tag is really freedom enough. Certification for every person that picks up a tag no matter the season requirements is not cool though IMO. I don't want to know what concession will be given for this "bone" thrown to bowhunters.

Schack, get off your pedestal, should I get my own lane on the highway if I don't have power steering?

I do have a bow and have been known to even use it. But it's still a chosen handicap and I do not feel there should be special privileges for gear choice.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperJ View Post
    Bow hunting is a chosen handicap not a real one.
    Interesting term: "chosen handicap". I have never seen it utilized. Primarily a bow hunter, I don't take offense because you are basically correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post

This will only increase pressure on the resource and put more hunters in the field not less. I realize that bow hunters don't kill many, but it all adds up. The bow hunters that were hunting in rifle season will now hunt early, and a few "booked" slots with guides and transporters just opened up in rifle season to be filled. Maybe I'm just being paranoid?

I read the F&G comments on Prop 47 (the version for Region III) last night. They (F&G) seem to assume that if that one passes it would be for all of Region III... which includes a huge chunk of sheep country. Not just the remaining Brooks, but also the White Mts, YK-Tanana, most of the Alaska Range, and even some of the northern Wrangells. I assumed it was just the Brooks Range, since the author stated "northern and central-northern units", but apparently definitions of "northern" vary.

They also commented that during the 10 years between 2003-2012, <2% of the sheep harvested in Region III were by bowhunters... and most (74%) of those were by residents. Backing out the math, non-residents have averaged 2 sheep/year over that huge area.

So yeah... the number of bowhunters would presumably go up, but the impact on sheep doesn't look huge. It would be aggravating to a rifle hunter to hike in and find a bunch of spooky sheep from being chased the week before, but odds are the sheep would still be on the mountain.

Still not sure what to think of this. Passing just the Region V proposal is weird, but if they expand it to the entirety of Region III... that seems pretty drastic considering they are just now putting together a working group to consider state wide sheep management.

Public comment for the Region III meeting is still open, and can be done on-line, so for those with opinions... have at it.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ocess.comments

Archery seasons are for an activity not a group of people. It is any individuals choice to not use a bow.

'Hunting' is an activity...regardless of your choice in weapons.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast