Thread: Moose and Caribou on Hodzana River Float

Default Moose and Caribou on Hodzana River Float

Looking for info on the Hodzana river. Looking at either this Aug/Sep or next doing a Moose/Caribou/black bear hunt utilizing a jet drive boat up the Hodzana River about 60 to 75 miles. I have experience with jet drive boats (18' Alumicraft 90 jet, do not have it now) down here in Michigan, but never paid attention to fuel consumption as it was always short camping and fishing trips. So curious as to what average fuel consumption would be and I know it depends on load and current direction, just looking for average? As far as info on river is it doable with jet boat and also have looked at maps for native lands but not sure how much along the river is theirs. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have hunted in Alaska back in early 80s while stationed at Ft Wainwright and have been on Dalton hwy numerous times as also the Yukon River one time for short trip.

Tony Beals

Moose and BB are likely. Doubt you'll see any bou. Don't hear much of anything about boating that river. Maybe it's a secret hunters paradise?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Not sure , was hoping to boat up about 80 miles to south side of mountains, if boating not possible may fly in for drop camp. If no caribou at least the scenery will be nice. I know it is long boat trip, but retired and nothing but time...
    Thanks
    Tony

I have nothing to offer that would be considered viable information concerning your question sorry. I will ask a couple of question though if you don't mind:

Would you rather not concentrate on a quality hunt for one species and hope for multiple than make a choice of hunting locations that would suit your desires?

Seems to me if you permit correctly in MI you could hunt Elk, Black Bear and potentially I heard tail of allowing harvest of Wolf this up and coming year :-) Plus you have reasonable Wood Duck Hunting, Great Goose hunting Pats, and Timber-doodles not to mention decent Walleye fishing right next to home. Don't forgot about Bass and Blue-Gills!

Ok I will stop being a smart Moose. I hope you find a place to enjoy that retirement! Thank you for your Service!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

RMM
    Retired USAF

I can't speak to the fuel-efficiency of a jet-drive, but I do know that there are a zillion aluminum boats tied off along the Yukon and almost none of them are jet boats. Perhaps the silty water is hard on such units?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.