Thread: Moose and Caribou on Hodzana River Float

Default Moose and Caribou on Hodzana River Float

Looking for info on the Hodzana river. Looking at either this Aug/Sep or next doing a Moose/Caribou/black bear hunt utilizing a jet drive boat up the Hodzana River about 60 to 75 miles. I have experience with jet drive boats (18' Alumicraft 90 jet, do not have it now) down here in Michigan, but never paid attention to fuel consumption as it was always short camping and fishing trips. So curious as to what average fuel consumption would be and I know it depends on load and current direction, just looking for average? As far as info on river is it doable with jet boat and also have looked at maps for native lands but not sure how much along the river is theirs. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have hunted in Alaska back in early 80s while stationed at Ft Wainwright and have been on Dalton hwy numerous times as also the Yukon River one time for short trip.

no caribou around the Hodzana, and no moose either. Black bear have done a good job thinning the moose densities though. Has good pike fishing and black bear, but don;t waste your time on moose and caribou.

Thanks, Larry, is it that way all the way to the North? If so guess I go back to research on another river. Was looking at going up river until river heads west at base of Mountains and then west about 30 miles.

the entire Yukon Flats Delta have similar depleted game populations. Black bears are overly abundant in that region, which accounts for at least a large majority of low moose density, especially calf mortality, which over time lowers overall populations.

The caribou aren't known to migrate as far west and south as the Hodzana. The Porcupine Herd range cuts off their western swing somewhere around Arctic Village and rarely go as far south as the middle Sheenjek and Coleen rivers before going back east into Canada for winter. It's a far travel by motorboat to reach caribou. It has been done, but it's a long and unforgiving journey by boat along the Yukon.

larry

Thanks Larry, have been in contact with individual up there and will probably turn my attentions else where. I love the rivers and was hoping for river hunt, but having not been up there in awhile hard to get feel for it again. May just Fly up in June and do short vacation and scout for 2015 or look at a Fly in drop hunt out of Fairbanks.

Thanks again.

There are caribou near the headwaters of the Hodzana. There are a few small resident groups that move around in that area. Your chances would be slim. moose are also making a comeback in the area North of the flats. To say there are no moose is not a true statement. The farther you get away from the Yukon (and Villages) the more moose there are. The biggest problem with hunting that area is low water. This last year you could have gone way upriver. Other years not so, depends on the rains. Your best bet for hunting the Hod would be to fly-in. The Hodzana's many forks drains a huge area. Much of it is not hunted.

Piper, curious what sources you have claiming caribou to be in the upper Hodzana. The only times known to have caribou filtering around the upper Hod is around Caribou Mnt, but only occasionally during winter or early spring. They are said to be either from the Ray Mnts Herd from the west or wayward stragglers of the Central Arctic population from the far north. To my knowledge, caribou aren't known to be in any hunt-able numbers during thaw cycles (fall periods).

I'm not challenging your knowledge, only wanting your source. Consider it a learning op for me. Thanks in advance.

What sources I have claiming? I'm the source, my own eyes. I fly over that upper Hodzana two to four times a week. Late Fall there were 50-60 caribou heading NE in one group. There are smaller groups also in the Upper Hodzana. They like the windswept headwaters areas.
    Last edited by Brian M; 01-17-2014 at 18:19.

IMHO.... I look at it this way..... Caribou do not know which way caribou are going.

Release Lake Trout

you're the man, pipercub. Thanks for the lesson in "expertism"...good luck and fly straight!

Yeah well I'm lucky, I don't have to be an expert. I just get to observe things from above... I was on the ground in Kotzebue in the eighties, it was late Fall when a huge herd of caribou crossed from the mouth of the Noatak to the tip of the Baldwin Peninsula. The ice was still plastic when these caribou came across, right through the village and headed South. There were still Reindeer being kept on the Peninsula South of Kotzebue then. I hopped in the plane and flew over this herd at 60 mph, it took seven minutes to fly from one end to the other. They cleaned every Reindeer off the Peninsula, they just up and migrated with the Caribou...

That's interesting for sure. I wonder how the "tame" reindeer survived with caribou.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Tame?? They just became part of they once were. Where do you think they were before humans "tamed" them??
    Goo

Notice "tame" in parenthesis.
    Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Tame?? They just became part of they once were. Where do you think they were before humans "tamed" them??
    Goo
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.