Thread: Kodiak Gear and Anchorage Meat Storage

Default Kodiak Gear and Anchorage Meat Storage

Hi All, My Name is Dan and have been on the site for awhile but have not yet participated. I am from Far Northern California and Southeastern Oregon and hunt all over the west with all methods and cant wait for my first trip to AK. I really enjoy the site and the wealth of knowledge that everyone provides.

I currently booked my airline tickets to Kodiak from August 21 thru September 2 with Kingfisher Aviation. My wife an I are planning doing an archery deer hunt in the grants lagoon area. I was curious from anyone has any gear recomendations for my wife and I. We have done plenty of backpacking and realize we will need to prepare for rain and wind but I was just curious if there were any other "Need to Have Items". Also after the trip we plan on exploring AK for another 10 days into September. If we get lucky, is there a place that anyone can recommend that we store meat frozen in the anchorage area while we are exploring for 10 days and then pick up prior to flying back? Thanks to anyone who can offer any info and if anyone on the site has questions about hunting AZ, OR, ID, NV, CA or Colorado feel free to send me a message and I can pass on some info on hunting those states for deer, pronghorn and elk. Thanks
    Dan

4 - Season tent
    Good rain gear - Helly Hansen Impertech or, some like gortex
    Bear fence
    A firearm for bear protection

For the meat you can call Glenn's Game Processing (search for his website) and have him cut and pack the meat then freeze it. In early September he may get really busy with caribou and moose so you will need to do a lot of prearranging so that his long term customers are not impacted.

The grass will be pretty tall so it could be hard to scout a deer, but easy to take one with a bow, or not. The deer will also be really high in the muskeg hill tops, which will be very open terrain making for hard stalks.

For bears, stay out of the stream valleys as much as you can, and bring a firearm.

Bring tarps to shelter your shelter.

Bring instep crampons like those from Hillsound. You will need them on the upper sections of steep grass covered hillsides.

What town in California? I grew up in Weed.

The timing of your trip is good as far as bears go. As noted above, stay out of valleys with salmon streams and you shouldn't have too much trouble with bears that time of year. They will mostly be scarfing down salmon then, but if you get into any big salmon berry patches, there could be some bears around those too.

A piece of gear I'd recommend is a water purifier. Either that or plan on boiling a lot of water.

Here's some stories and recommendations from a guy who hunted the same area you'll be in.

http://one-eyedhillbilly.blogspot.co...ilderness.html

http://one-eyedhillbilly.blogspot.co...ak-tundra.html

http://one-eyedhillbilly.blogspot.co...st-earned.html
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Thanks Guys, I am from Alturas, CA so pretty close to Weed but even closer to Oregon and Nevada. Thanks againd for all you guys help and I will definatley post a story and let you all know how the hunt went. Thanks again and look forward to being more active in the Forum.
    Dan

I have done this hunt before and can send you my gear list with weights on an excel spreadsheet. Tried to send you a private message but evidentally you haven't enabled that feature, so send me a private message with your email and I'll send you a wealth of info. Also search my previous posts as they are nearly all about deer hunting Kodiak in early August. The rain there can be relentless. I take 2 pair of boots plus hippers too but still have wet feet. Seek out "Rocky" Gore-tex socks, worth their weight in gold! Also Sat phone is a must for emergencies, changes of plans, or giving Kingfisher a weather report on pick up day.
    Brian

You'll need some sort of bug protection - spray, headnets, gloves, whatever. Probably be a good idea to buy any spray(s) in Kodiak, before flyout. You'll want a "shopping list" for Kodiak, to include bug, bear spray; stove fuel and whatever else that makes sense to buy locally rather than shipping it. With the timing of the hunt - are you planning to save the antler velvet? A deck of cards & a couple of paperback books (to while away the rainy days). Nice that you have extra days planned to be in AK - some of that might be used by weather/no-fly conditions before you leave Kodiak. Good news is that September is prime time to trout fish the Kenai River, should you find the time.

Quote Originally Posted by caribouman View Post
    I have done this hunt before and can send you my gear list with weights on an excel spreadsheet. Tried to send you a private message but evidentally you haven't enabled that feature, so send me a private message with your email and I'll send you a wealth of info. Also search my previous posts as they are nearly all about deer hunting Kodiak in early August. The rain there can be relentless. I take 2 pair of boots plus hippers too but still have wet feet. Seek out "Rocky" Gore-tex socks, worth their weight in gold! Also Sat phone is a must for emergencies, changes of plans, or giving Kingfisher a weather report on pick up day.
    Brian
    Thanks Caribouman, I got your message and sent you my email. Thanks again My email is danryan23@gmail.com