Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S.E Steelhead

Default S.E Steelhead

Hello all
    I'm looking for some information on steelheading S.E.
    I guess I must be getting cabin fever, but I've got the fishing bug bad.
    I doubt I can afford a bush flight, so I was thinking perhaps P.W.O? Does anyone have past experiences? Any info what so ever would be greatly appreciated. From the little I've heard about run timing I was thinking April/May?
    Thanks for reading

Cheers Kris

There is good Steelhead fishing in Sitka, however POW is known for it's Steelhead fishing and probably has bigger runs. The Steelhead fishing is best here (Sitka) in mid to late April but still good in May, although to get to the best rivers here you'll either have to take a boat ride, or charter a float plane (which it sounds like you'de rather not do). In that respect, POW has lots of steelhead fishing accessible from the roads, so that would probably be your best bet!

I had a feeling the first spring steelheading post was going to show up soon. Cabin fever is deifintly setting in. After doing some research on POW logistics, that DIY trip could end up costing more than a fly-in out of Sitka.

Where are you at? That makes a big difference. In some locations there are some fall fish too.

Quote Originally Posted by browell7 View Post
    I had a feeling the first spring steelheading post was going to show up soon. Cabin fever is deifintly setting in. After doing some research on POW logistics, that DIY trip could end up costing more than a fly-in out of Sitka.
    Geez I need to get on it I guess. I knew it was going to cost me, but I'm not willing to break the bank to do it. If that's the case I'd be better off hopping a plane to southern Oregon next month.
    I'll have to do some hard research on places and expense.
    It's really too bad I don't have more use for this drift boat I insisted I haul all the way up here! Yakatat might be another option too!

There are steelhead that go up 3 rivers on the road system here, all small runs though. There is a river about a 15 minute boat ride out of town that has a good run of steelhead. Otherwise, the prime rivers are either a 2-3 hour boat ride, or a 20 minute plane ride away.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Where are you at? That makes a big difference. In some locations there are some fall fish too.
    I live in Big Lake. I'm really looking for a winter/spring run.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    There are steelhead that go up 3 rivers on the road system here, all small runs though. There is a river about a 15 minute boat ride out of town that has a good run of steelhead. Otherwise, the prime rivers are either a 2-3 hour boat ride, or a 20 minute plane ride away.
    We'll I'd get to visit Sitka and that would be a huge plus! I told my wife we should go check that place out.

hows the anchor? That's a winter run if I aint mistaken.

Have you done the situk yet?

It's a fall run that is being over fished. The Anchor was good, now fair at best.

curious, don't most fall steelie runs over winter? My understanding of it, and I haven't fished the anchor itself, is fall fish overwinter and outmigrate in the spring. It would be a fall winter run more than a winter spring run?

Can't fish the Anchor after Nov 1 and not again til mid to late May. Anybody fished in the Kake area for steelhead? Hamilton Creek?
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Have Dave of Family Air in Ketchikan fly you out to one of the many cabins in his area. We did two such trips in recent years. Beautiful country and very affordable bush flights. Here is a pic of my first ever steelhead, a 36 incher.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan when did you catch this 36? Looks like it was late May; grass is pretty green on your picture.

YES that would be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    curious, don't most fall steelie runs over winter? My understanding of it, and I haven't fished the anchor itself, is fall fish overwinter and outmigrate in the spring. It would be a fall winter run more than a winter spring run?

Quote Originally Posted by wigo View Post
    Dan when did you catch this 36? Looks like it was late May; grass is pretty green on your picture.

Last few days of April as I recall. Had went the first week of May my first trip. Last of April second trip. Worked hard for that fish, my one and only steelhead. Fish of a 1,000 cast they call it. Nearly true in my case. Ha ha. Most rewarding fishing experience of my life at any rate. Can't wait to get back to SE Alaska. Special place.

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default S.E Steelhead

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    hows the anchor? That's a winter run if I aint mistaken.

Have you done the situk yet?
    Anchor is closed NOV 1 - MAY 17

Default S.E Steelhead

If you're in big lake you can always hit the Kenai Peninsula for steelhead.

You could try the situk. Lots of fish, lots of fisherman (relativity it's not shoulder to shoulder but you will see others on the river) it can be done really cheaply if you camp on the river.

Have you decided on a trip?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast