Thread: polaris trail 550 lube points

Default polaris trail 550 lube points

can someone tell me where are all the lube points on the 2005 rmk trail 550 ? thanks

Where the zerts are!!! Is this a serious question I'm not trying to be mean, but if you don't know or can't find them. Take to a good shop!

well guess it was a stupid question. i have found most if not all but i am new to snowmachines and was thinking i may have missed a critical one.

That is not a stupid question by any mean. The jackshaft has small button jerk most people have no idea there they are. The clutches, rubber bushing, steering, idler wheels all need lubrication and they do not have jerks.

Going from memory of many Polaris sleds so your sled may not have some.
    Steering column. You may have one up at the cowl area and one down at the bottom at the bellcrank. Jackshaft under the driven clutch. That probably needs a needle fitting. Speedo output at the drive shaft. Ski spindles. Ski saddles. Check every cross shaft in the rear suspension including the rear axle. Coupler arms, too. Shock attach fixtures usually shield a couple of lube zerks. Idler wheels are sealed. Don't bother trying to lube them.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    That is not a stupid question by any mean. The jackshaft has small button jerk most people have no idea there they are. The clutches, rubber bushing, steering, idler wheels all need lubrication and they do not have jerks.
    Do not spray your clutches with any lube, they want to be dry, it's good to take apart and keep clean but saw many guys spray them down to never see them work right again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Idler wheels are sealed. Don't bother trying to lube them.
    You are right the idler wheels are sealed. The manufacture puts a dab of grease in the bearing for lubrication when water get in the bearing it rust and falls apart. What I do is remove the bearing seal, pack as much grease as possible into the bearing, put the seal back on and again grease the hell out of it. Doing this my idler wheels will last for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by mooneyman View Post
    Do not spray your clutches with any lube, they want to be dry, it's good to take apart and keep clean but saw many guys spray them down to never see them work right again!
    The part of the clutches that need lubrication is the weights and the weight pins. I forget most people need more details than just lubricate the clutches. MY BAD

thanks for the help

LMFAO!!

The fittings are not "zerts", or "jerks", they are called a ZERK.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

There are 13 total zerks on this sled. 6 on the skid, ( 3 front and 3 rear), 2 on each spindle area, 1 on the drive axle, 1 on the jackshaft, ( have to pull driven clutch out a ways to get to it), and 1 on lower steering post behind mag side motor mount. (Have to pull airbox to get to it). Don't forget chaincase oil. Here's a link to a downloadable service manual for $5.http://instant-manual.com/1972-2008_...e_Manuals.html