Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey tomatoheads; it's 2014

Default Hey tomatoheads; it's 2014

Wake up tomato lovers!!! What varieties are you drooling over, and ready to try in 2014? I started a batch today, with hopes of having May tomatoes. Did a pretty decent batch of peppers too, and waiting on eggplant seeds to come, they take awhile also.

Still have one tomato on my plants from last year.

I have a cutting off of the brandywine you gave me that I'm still keeping alive... I want to add a black prince to my green house tomatoes this year.. Plus I plan on making a rain gutter watering system in the green house.. Got a Burpee catalog in the mail recently to drool over.,..

John

picked up some black cherry starts from our local farmers market last season and they were delicious! I plan on having many more of those this year!

I really like Blk Prince and that OTV. I saw the new "Steakhouse" in the Burpee catalog, of course I had to buy a pack, I also am trying that new "Charger" variety for a new hybrid attempt. Of course, I am also doing their Brandyboys again, I would still give those an 8.5 or so in the Brandywine world.

Blk Cherry is awesome, gotta have those and Sungold cherry for sure

Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    I really like Blk Prince and that OTV. I saw the new "Steakhouse" in the Burpee catalog, of course I had to buy a pack, I also am trying that new "Charger" variety for a new hybrid attempt. Of course, I am also doing their Brandyboys again, I would still give those an 8.5 or so in the Brandywine world.
    I was looking at those BrandyBoys in the Burpee Catalog.. I've never tasted one, but based on what you and Dave said last year, I'd really like to grow some..

Mrs. Benson!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Has anyone tried the winter storage tomatoes?

I think I remember reading about those, who is the outlet? A friend of mine swears by slicing then freezing tomatoes for winter, has anyone tried this? I like to can alot of them, and make spaghetti sauce too, the sauce makes eating spag. enjoyable again, takes alot of tomatoes though.

A friend of mine swears by slicing then freezing tomatoes for winter, has anyone tried this? I like to can alot of them, and make spaghetti sauce too, the sauce makes eating spag. enjoyable again, takes alot of tomatoes though.
    Tomatoes freeze just fine. I just chop them very coarse and dump them in zip loc's. They keep well for a year or two and are handy for chili, stew, sauce, etc.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Iofthetaiga, thanks. Hey you want to trade a couple Mrs Benson seeds for something else?

Iofthetaiga, thanks. Hey you want to trade a couple Mrs Benson seeds for something else?
    I do really love the Mrs. Benson's I've grown in the past, and highly recommend them. Would be interested to see you try them and compare with your impressive portfolio! But, I've not grown much of a garden for a few years (personal life issues), and if I have any seed left it's probably not terribly viable.
    #Resist

I will put them on the list, thanks for the suggestion, I really enjoy trying different varieties.

Saw you working on the front of 1 of the new GHs
    You getting ready to start heating soon?

Not quite awake yet, coming out of Hibernation getting tougher.
    10 million ducks & geese can't be wrong

I am a big fan of the low acid yellow varieties for eating and plum/Romano for canning and salsa

Ya Dave, I started a few, and some were Cowlick's. I also had to try the new Burpee Steakhouse and a bunch of others that I cannot pronounce the names. lol

So, I've been lurking in this section for a while. I have been out of gardening for a few years and haven't grown a tomato plant in over 10 yrs. Got a newly built greenhouse in the backyard and I'm ready to get back to it. After looking through the 2013 posts, I've decided on, and just ordered:
    Brandy Boy,
    Black Krim,
    Sungold, and
    Early Girl

Can't wait.

Ya Dave, I started a few, and some were Cowlick's. I also had to try the new Burpee Steakhouse and a bunch of others that I cannot pronounce the names. lol
    \

I managed to save some seeds off of the Ispolin that I got from Mark last year. Wasn't sure how successful I'd be, but scored a 100 as I have two of those saved seeds sprouting now..!

First blood; Fred Limbaugh, Alaska, Pruden's Purple, Juanne Flammee, Blk Cherry, and NAR have baby tomatoes, Steakhouse has a mega blossom, Brandywines are smokin, cukes are lookin good, peppers are setting fruit, and Eggplant is almost ready for transplant. Spring... finally.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast