Thread: Fishing in Mid - May?

Default Fishing in Mid - May?

I'm currently in the initial planning stages of a fishing (deep sea) trip to Alaska, and thought I'd ask the board for their thoughts on this time of year? Would it be worth going, or should I wait until the summer? I don't have a place nailed down yet - open to input, but am thinking Kodiak or somewhere in SE Alaska. Mainly interested in halibut, rockfish, and it wouldn't break my heart to catch salmon .
    I'm initially leaning towards an all inclusive, but man, the cost is a bit steep. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some are worth every penny, but I would hate to spend only to have a sub par experience.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

In SE mid may is great for returning salmon, plus many of the hatchery runs. Halibut are a bit deeper but can certainly be found.....rockfish are right where they usually are.

However, since you are likely with a guided group....ask them.

King Salmon fishing is pretty good in Sitka in May. Although it gets progressively better as the summer progresses (tapering off after the first week of July). Halibut are still out pretty deep in May, but catchable on the ocean. Rockfish and Lingcod are numerous year round. If you go out on a charter; I'm sure they will put you on some fish.

Thanks for the replies. I'm in Arizona, and would hate to go through the expense if it's just the wrong time of year.
    I'll wait until I get up there
    in "prime time" if need be, although I'm not a huge fan of crowds.
    It seems Kodiak isn't the place that time of year?

Thanks again.

Your best bet would be more around mid June. Lingcod opens July first.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

We almost have both boats booked in May for King salmon trolling angles usually dont throw their troll caught halibut or rockfish back. June the weather does warm up and the chance at a 50 plus king is still good, July ling cod opens, halibut, rockfish and all salmon species can be landed, but rarely will you see a 50plus king salmon. August is for meat hunters, deer season opens, silvers move in plus kings, lings, halibut and rockfish are plentiful. Sept is for river fly fishing, with kings trolled up in the salt along with halibut. October silvers on a fly in the river and ducks open on the 8th! plus we still have kings in the salt and bucks are starting to rut!
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Ya, here in Kodiak, Mid May = Big Kings. Usually by Mid April I'm pulling halibut farely often, a couple a day trolling kings, but not targeting them. July starts big numbers and meat fishing, but for trophy kings, April-Mid June.

Thank you all for the responses. It helps!

Already flights and lodges/charters are getting pretty booked up for mid_June through August...there are so many flights into Anchorage every day you wouldn't think this would be a problem, and there are still lots of flights open, but many of them don't have any economy/saver seats left, you have to pay more. Same with the good charters, so think hard but think fast and make a plan and get everything locked in soon!

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

If you're going to make a trip to Alaska, do it right. There are still tickets available, all summer long, from the East Coast, for about $600. That's a good price. Decide what you want to fish for and go in prime time for that species. If it's going to be a once in a lifetime adventure, make the best of it. You'll never see anything like Alaska. Enjoy it, it's great. Weather varies depending on where you want to go. Pick a time when weather and recreation opportunities are to you liking and then do it. Personally, I prefer silvers. I'd rather catch a half dozen coho, than one king, but that's me. Some guys prefer to spend a day for that "one" king.

the wife and i went to kodiak last summer and had a blast. we went the 2nd week in july and primarily targeted halibut. we did fairly well on halibut and caught lots of rockfish and lings as well. we stayed in a bnb and went on 2 different charters and both were excellent. we didn't see hardly any other boats when we went fishing.