Thread: Yukon river

Default Yukon river

So I'm thinking of making my hunting focus this year to be the Yukon. Starting with spring black bear and then ending with moose. I already posted a thread asking if any caribou hunting along the river is possible and ended with a doubtful no. So I understand many think asking for information on an area is a forbidden sin but this goes out to those willing to help. Where do I start. Should I plan on working the area out near circle or heading up to the bridge along the dalton. Is there any areas for access other that that? After docking at these areas how far in general do people go all the way to tanana or is there decent areas closer? Is there areas of the river to be weary about as on rapids ex. Any other safety concerns? Not looking for your hunny hole just some general I formation of where I can focus my research.

There is nothing wrong with coming on here and asking for help.
    There was a thread on here some years ago posted by a regular contributer to this forum. His group had launched at the Yukon Bridge and gone down river (if I remember correctly) not too far, and set up a bait or 2. They scored at least one black bear.
    Likely any of the Yukon access points, Eagle, Circle, or the Bridge, have decent black bear numbers.
    However, assuming you live in the anch area.............all of those spots are a loooonnngggg drive just to hunt bear.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Yukon

Plenty of bears around Circle but instead of floating the Yukon maybe look at floating from the Birch creek bridge down to the Yukon and then to the Yukon bridge or you could fly out of the Birch creek village. Shouldn't have any problems finding bear and please feel free to shoot your limit!!!
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Quote Originally Posted by thunder chicken1 View Post
    and please feel free to shoot your limit!!!
    Sounds like someone who is an area that has a lot of bears that need to be eaten.

In our area black bears alone kill 50% or more of the moose calves and that doesn't include the ones that griz and wolves kill too which is why we have such a low moose population according to a fish and game study and their suggestion was to kill more bears but unfortunately we're pretty much the only ones in Circle that eat bear so I applaud anyone who comes out here and shoots some to fill their freezer or hang a rug on the wall.
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................