Thread: Drill & Tap Revolver Butt

Default Drill & Tap Revolver Butt

Looking for input on drilling and tapping the bottom of a revolver butt for the purpose of installing a lanyard ring.

I have a Colt Police Positive Special (mfg 1930) on which I want to install a lanyard ring. From what I've learned over on the Colt Forum, lanyard rings were available as a special order on the Police Positives, but were rare as hen's teeth. (Although, there is one identical to mine on gunbroker right now with a lanyard ring-go figure.) I found this website that sells new old stock lanyard rings for the Colt New Service and 1917. I still need to find out if the grip metal is the same width and thickness between that gun and mine, but if it is, can this just be done on any old drill press or should I leave it to one of the local professionals?

http://www.coltparts.com/pt_newservice.html

Items 65, 65 about $70

Those donít thread in. They sit in a drilled in hole and are pined through an intersecting hole. Now this is harder than taping, the placement of the holes must be correct and little hole first (or with big hole plugged) so you are less likely to snap off the little drill bit. Drilling intersecting holes can be a pain, when the bit enters the void it wants to follow the side of the hole and turn the corner, hardened steel doesnít like to turn corners. It should work fine as long as you are not using a grip that extends below the grip frame.

$65 is nuts, here it is for $20 free shipping.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colt-revolver-lanyard-ring-Model-1917-New-Service-Colt-Parts-S-W-parts-/251421219966#ht_102wt_880
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Those donít thread in. They sit in a drilled in hole and are pined through an intersecting hole. Now this is harder than taping, the placement of the holes must be correct and little hole first (or with big hole plugged) so you are less likely to snap off the little drill bit. Drilling intersecting holes can be a pain, when the bit enters the void it wants to follow the side of the hole and turn the corner, hardened steel doesnít like to turn corners. It should work fine as long as you are not using a grip that extends below the grip frame.

$65 is nuts, here it is for $20 free shipping.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colt-revolver-lanyard-ring-Model-1917-New-Service-Colt-Parts-S-W-parts-/251421219966#ht_102wt_880
    The difference in price in original colt vs aftermarket reproduction. But, considering that any modification pretty much wrecks the collector value, perhaps it doesn't matter if the part used is Colt or aftermarket.

So, looking at diagrams, I thought this ring went into the grip frame and all the way through the bottom metal on the frame. Then the pin went through the ring post like a clevis or roll pin. After reading your post, I understand it to be the retaining pin rides in that groove in the ring post in it's on hole.

Would it be better to just drill and tap and install a rifle sling in there?

By the way, I'll be in Wasilla tomorrow at Diamond d Leather with this gun, picking up the holster, should a I just drop your shop and let you take a look at it?

Are you sure that price is for an NOS part? I donít find where they say that and the Ebay seller says ďI started producing these rings in the '90's and have sold hundreds...many to major gun parts suppliers.Ē so I suspect they are the very same part.

The original type part is available so that would be the one to use. If you are worried about collector value there are ways to do it without modifying the frame by wrapping around it, the grip then notched to fit around but you set the original grips aside so nothing original is altered.

I have seen them, no need for me to look at it unless/until you want me to do something to it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona