Thread: Sheenjek River Float hunt

Default Sheenjek River Float hunt

Hello

I am planning a float hunt next Sept up on the Sheenjek and wanted to know how the Caribou hunting has been the last few years in that area?

Thanks

First off I love the name! Oh the good Ole days of Kavik Camp and what it offers. You might consider shooting a PM to the Forum owner :-0 or Larry B I am assuming they are still putting hunters in the area and have up to date yearly data. You know you can float from Kavic to an outlying landing strip as well for Bou. Little work skinny water most years in Late Sept but doable.

I used to hunt the Kavik before there was a camp there, both moose And caribou. No need to float, the moose were in the river flats and the caribou were just cruising on through. There was just an old oil exploration strip there then with plenty of bears around.

The Upper Sheenjek has caribou on it in Sept. could be spotty. Down past double mountain there is a resident bunch of caribou that may be in that area. There is quite a bit of hunting pressure on that river. Caribou are kind of here or there in small groups. Where are you flying out of?

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

we did an 11 day Sheenjak last Sept 2013...Good float....fairly successful...But were told that "not like last year" for the Caribou..Saw a couple hundred bou and were told they were late migrating...The year before, the folks that recommended this river to us had to maneuver the rafts to avoid hitting them on the float...so very hit and miss and the river can change significantly from year to year...

Mike S. book, Larry B. video, advice here and ask ask ask left us well prepared, well fed, and memories for a lifetime...So I would say your only guarantee is that it will be an adventure...Good Luck