Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big lake Ice ice fishing

Default Big lake Ice ice fishing

No luck on the ice today.

I have never fished Big lake and I had a wild hair to drive out today and try my luck at ice fishing it, I was there from sun up to sun down, I fished 3 different locations from one end of the lake to the other, drilled 18 holes in varying depths from 8ft to 32ft, used live bait, single hook krocodiles with a flasher bouncing off the bottom to a black and yellow jig just under the ice and not one bite! Any advice from the big lake gurus?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    If it's easy you're doing it wrong

Big lake is artificial bait, single hook only! That could've been a big ticket for you today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well good to know I asked a couple guys at work what the regs where and they told shrimp was ok but ignorance is
    no excuse for the law and it was my fault for not reading the regs for my self. Thanks for letting me know.

Pretty sure you can use hole dead bait for pike

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin_AK View Post
    Well good to know I asked a couple guys at work what the regs where and they told shrimp was ok but ignorance is
    no excuse for the law and it was my fault for not reading the regs for my self. Thanks for letting me know.

you used live shrimp?

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    Pretty sure you can use hole dead bait for pike

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    Are you pretty sure about using bait (regardless of what you're fishing for) on Big Lake?
    "Grin and Bear It"

called f&g they said hole fish and it cant be set on the bottom. any fish other then a pike has to be released.

That's nice to know, whole fish are legal to use for pike on Big Lake...thanks.
    "Grin and Bear It"

No I used dead shrimp. Not live shrimp. I should have said "previously live bait" as to not create confusion.

No I used dead shrimp. Not live shrimp. I should have said "previously alive bait" as to not create confusion.

Quote take from page 34 of the South Central fishing Regs.

• In Big Lake, only one unbaited, single-hook, artificial lure is allowed November 1ľApril 30, including
      fishing for burbot.

Artificial lures only. No bait, live or dead is allowed.

Do yourself a big favor, go into any Fish and Game office, Carrs, or Fred Myers and pick up a copy of the regs and carry them with you when you go out. DO NOT take advice from your friends on regs. As they say "stupid is as stupid does". Don't fall into that category.

Good advise Jim, fish by the regs...I wouldn't be fishing with any kind of bait on Big Lake, even though I was told I could.

You can also download the regs at the F&G website. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ulations.sport
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    ...I wouldn't be fishing with any kind of bait on Big Lake...
    Unless I was fishing for pike...

Northern Pike.jpg
    Pike.jpg
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Quote take from page 34 of the South Central fishing Regs.

• In Big Lake, only one unbaited, single-hook, artificial lure is allowed November 1ľApril 30, including
      fishing for burbot.

Artificial lures only. No bait, live or dead is allowed.
    unless your pike fishing

So thanks all for the education of proper bait and region information, my original question still goes unanswered which is what advice for ice fishing on big lake. I have found out some more info since this post on what and where to fish there, I was just hoping to get a conversation going on here about it. If anyone is interested on discussing ice fishing tactics on big lake feel free to speak!

I've always fished beside weedbeds at the outlets and inlets which can be found on a map. I set up my five tips ups baited with hooligan or herring at 0800 until 1650. While the tip ups soak I jig with a 4 inch single hook croc spoon. Caught burbot, char and pike on my tip ups this year and burbot, char, rainbows and pike while jigging. Of course anything but pike has to be released if caught on the tip ups. Every time I'm out I always have at least one Trooper look at my setup. Good Luck!!

sorry for stealing your thread....any ways I always try to fish the inside corner of points from 8-30 feet of water. for some reason 16 feet is my magic number. tube jigs, jigging spoons aero jigs seem to work

So thanks all for the education of proper bait and region information, my original question still goes unanswered which is what advice for ice fishing on big lake. I have found out some more info since this post on what and where to fish there, I was just hoping to get a conversation going on here about it. If anyone is interested on discussing ice fishing tactics on big lake feel free to speak!

I think I have posted this more than once but since its already written down...one more time.

DISCLAIMER!!! I wrote this as the Big Lake regulations were changing. So staying legal is the person fishing's responsibility. Also this is just one person's opinion. I am not an expert by any means on Big Lake.
    http://www.alaskafishinglogs.com/ice_fishing_text.htm

If you got to my old logs, I post a few stories of my Big Lake adventures and they give some hint to location, depth, lures, etc. http://www.alaskafishinglogs.com/

I also have about ten videos on my youtube site specific to Big Lake http://www.youtube.com/guidesak/videos

But maybe the best advice I can give you is to use the search function on this forum to look at the wide variety of folks who have taken the time to post here. That's how I got my start!

Kardinal_84, I really appreciate it I expected a tongue lashing for not knowing my way around the forum. Even though I'm 34 years old I have never been part of a blog or forum. I will take time to figure out how to navigate through it. I was just excited once I had signed in as a member and wanted to post something. Again I really appreciate the info and thank you for taking the time to post that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast