Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory test fires?

Default Factory test fires?

I haven't bought many new rifles but I had a weak moment about a year ago and bought a new in the box Mod 70 375h&H Alaskan. It still has the sticker on the barrel and I haven't shot it yet. I was cleaning my guns and decided to give the new Winny a wipe down. I was shocked when I ran a patch through the barrel. It was absolutely filthy. It took several brushings and multiple patches to get it clean and it had traces of copper. Does the factory shoot several rounds and then box them up dirty? I assume they test fire each weapon but this looked more like a box instead of a round or two. Or maybe I bought a "Friday" rifle?

I donít know what Winchester does but most fire a proofing round (is a high pressure very hot loaded round) in the barreled action in a proofing stand that also applies a proof stamp. Itís a very hot load overpressure load down a new barrel and will leave quite a bit of soot and copper.

Some then send the completed rifle to test fire from 3 to as many as 20 rounds to see how the cases look, how it groups and all kinds of quality checks. This will also leave soot and copper.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Sounds like you got a used'up gun. That puppy is shot'out, and the barrel is burned-out. Not much remaining of the lands in the barrel. It is likely UN-SAFE to fire that firearm........However, I can save you from having your face blown-off, and spending the rest of your life disfigured and double butt'ugly. I will buy that piece of crap Winchester for 1/3 of the amount you got snookered out of when you bought that turd'Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Sounds like you got a used'up gun. That puppy is shot'out, and the barrel is burned-out. Not much remaining of the lands in the barrel. It is likely UN-SAFE to fire that firearm........However, I can save you from having your face blown-off, and spending the rest of your life disfigured and double butt'ugly. I will buy that piece of crap Winchester for 1/3 of the amount you got snookered out of when you bought that turd'Winchester.
    You had me going for the first couple sentences...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks AD, I feel a little better now. I'm not too jealous of the factory playing with her but I'd sure be put out if one of the boys down at the shop took her out and had their way with her before me. Next time I buy a new rifle I'll clean it as soon as I get it home. I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't clean this one right away.

AGL,You're selling a short barrel 70 and trying to by a long barrel? You must have barrel envy.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I rather think that it's poor quality control, or sloppy care from Winchester.

If what Andy says is true, you'd think they would clean it after firing a lot of rounds.

I haven't bought a lot of new guns over the years, but I don't recall ANY that had a barrel like you describe. OR, heard of any.

IMO, Winchester makes more money capitalizing on their Historic Name, than from providing a quality product.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I always scrub out the bore on a new one as soon as I get it homeÖ.I've never had a clean one, they're always dirty to one degree or another.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I always scrub out the bore on a new one as soon as I get it homeÖ.I've never had a clean one, they're always dirty to one degree or another.
    This has been my experience as well. Just be thankfull that they are doing QC checks instead of boxing and shipping unfired product.
    ďYouíve gotten soft. Youíre like one of those police dogs whoís released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.Ē Bill McNeal of News Radio

I was watching some show where they went to a factory, Ruger maybe but donít remember. They followed a rifle all the way down the line, the guy that fitted barrel/receiver/bolt proofed it then it went on to get the other parts.

Anyway what struck me most was they got to the testing room and the host was jealous of the guyís job . . . Then the guy explained he fires one to three THOUSAND rounds every day and paperwork on every one. Well I donít know if that cured the jealousy of the host but boy mine was all gone, that sounds too much like hard boring work in a dank little room to me!

Anyway, cleaning up after Mr. duck taped trigger finger would not be as easy as it sounds, likely add quite a bit to the price of a rifle. Iím sure some of the higher end guns get cleaned, Mark-Vs get cleaned, maybe 70 are too and this one got missed somehow.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Winchester makes more money capitalizing on their Historic Name, than from providing a quality product.

Smitty of the North
    DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!!! Bingo! We have a winner. No more calls please.

I've had most of the new guns dirty when I got them. My S&W 500 came very dirty. I put together the Wife's AR kit and the barrel was dirty. I have a Weatherby XXII, made in Italy (60's ?), that I believe has never been fired outside of the factory, still has a bit of "powder" left in the barrel from test firing.

I never kept track as I always clean a new gun before I take it shooting, but I expect a new gun to not be cleaned after test firing at the factory. A quick wipe down of the outside with an oiled rag might cost the company a buck during final inspection. A good cleaning might cost $30 or more in labor.

If you want to discover something interesting take a new rifle, any new rifle whether it's been cleaned at the factory or not and clean it some more 'til you are absolutely convinced that you have cleaned that bore - Then heat up a quart or so of water in a pan, doesn't have to be boiling but HOT and then pour it down the barrel from the breech end (bolt out of course) slowly, let it cool and then clean it again and BEHOLD the crap that comes out of the pores of that metal - I've done easily over 50 and the outcome is always the same - Now, if you do that process again so you know for a fact that the barrel has expelled as much of the metal debris from machining then do it one more time and while the barrel is still pretty hot, using a new bronze bore specific brush, stroke in copious amounts of TETRA OIL - after it's all cleaned up you will have a barrel as impervious to fouling as ever existed and, if you handload be prepared to behold velocities like you've never experienced, all with great accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    DANG! Ya beat me to it!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Hell, yah. Not only the barrel, but the bolt face will have a ring of salts from the primer around the firing pin hole. Ridiculous. Hard to believe they can't clean the gun before it leaves the factory. A lot of gunsmiths are just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Hard to believe they can't clean the gun before it leaves the factory. A lot of gunsmiths are just as bad.
    I donít clean barrel bores or parts I didnít work on unless Iím asked to. Iím very happy to do it but most donít want to pay my shop rate for something most guys enjoy doing themselves. If you want a smith to clean it just tell them so, I donít like billing for random stuff you didnít say you wanted and donít want to work for free anymore than you do.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    - Then heat up a quart or so of water in a pan, doesn't have to be boiling but HOT and then pour it down the barrel from the breech end (bolt out of course) slowly, let it cool and then clean it again and BEHOLD the crap that comes out of the pores of that metal -
    After pouring all that water down the barrel, and letting it dry, are you sure it's not RUST, you're seeing?

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

If anybody wants to really see a clean barrel...totally free of residue and copper fouling...then use this recipe:

1,Get a really top quality 1 piece rod from Brownells
    2.Get a top quality bore guide that precisely fits the action
    3.Get top quality BRONZE brushes that are correct for caliber
    4.Get top quality muslin patches correct for caliber
    5.Optional (but useful): get a top quality bore scope to SEE what is really happening in the barrel
    6.Get a bottle of Hoppes Benchrest to start
    7.Using the above, "clean" the barrel to get the initial layer out crud with Hoppes and final clean it with alcohol soaked patches
    8.Next, swab the barrel with Sweets soaked patches...and see what color they come out
    9.Repeat if they are blue/purple
    10.If needed, go to JB and apply as per directions with patches
    11.After JB, repeat Sweets until a patch is colorless (this might take a while LOL)
    12.Finish up with more alcohol patches and decide if you want to apply a VERY light coating of Rem oil for interior protection from inclement conditions

Now the irony is that most barrels will shoot better with 1 to 3 foulers shots down the bore than absolutely clean.

But a borescope will show you what the interior of a barrel really looks like as you proceed through steps 1-12 above.

No barrel has ever been made that won't show "some" imperfections...that's why "super models" occasionaly retain small moles just for show LOL.

7STW

Quote Originally Posted by 7STW View Post
    ................................that's why "super models" occasionaly retain small moles just for show LOL.

7STW
    I always wondered about that.................
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Smitty ! NOT you too .............

Quote Originally Posted by 7STW View Post
    If anybody wants to really see a clean barrel...totally free of residue and copper fouling...then use this recipe:

1,Get a really top quality 1 piece rod from Brownells
    2.Get a top quality bore guide that precisely fits the action
    3.Get top quality BRONZE brushes that are correct for caliber
    4.Get top quality muslin patches correct for caliber
    5.Optional (but useful): get a top quality bore scope to SEE what is really happening in the barrel
    6.Get a bottle of Hoppes Benchrest to start
    7.Using the above, "clean" the barrel to get the initial layer out crud with Hoppes and final clean it with alcohol soaked patches
    8.Next, swab the barrel with Sweets soaked patches...and see what color they come out
    9.Repeat if they are blue/purple
    10.If needed, go to JB and apply as per directions with patches
    11.After JB, repeat Sweets until a patch is colorless (this might take a while LOL)
    12.Finish up with more alcohol patches and decide if you want to apply a VERY light coating of Rem oil for interior protection from inclement conditions

Now the irony is that most barrels will shoot better with 1 to 3 foulers shots down the bore than absolutely clean.

But a borescope will show you what the interior of a barrel really looks like as you proceed through steps 1-12 above.

No barrel has ever been made that won't show "some" imperfections...that's why "super models" occasionaly retain small moles just for show LOL.

7STW
    That reminds me of why I like the Wipe Out way of cleaning my barrels.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast