Thread: Unit 14C Upper Eagle River Black Bear Registration Hunt

Default Unit 14C Upper Eagle River Black Bear Registration Hunt

Hi,

Just got this registration hunt tag. Is anyone interested in going for this hunt together? We can both have a tag each and hunt for a bear each. I have never hunted anything before and would be happy to go with someone with experience. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterwannabe View Post
    Hi,

Just got this registration hunt tag. Is anyone interested in going for this hunt together? We can both have a tag each and hunt for a bear each. I have never hunted anything before and would be happy to go with someone with experience. Thank you.
    If might be a bit early for them to be out
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

You're right, but because I am total beginner, I am looking for a hunt partner in advance to discuss about how it works, what I need to get to be ready etc. I am trying this particular hunt because it is in eagle river and I live in anchorage, so it should be less logistically challenging (my assumption, i could be wrong). Please feel free to advise as appropriate. Thank you.

If I remember that area right, you're in for a decent hike just to get within the boundary and the trail follows the low ground, not the high ground where you'll want to be. Contact BrianM on here, he's done a lot of hiking in eagle river area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Assuming you have the rifle tag, its 6 - 6 1/2 miles on easy trail to where you can start hunting. You will likely go a couple miles further. Look up, as in where the sheep are or higher. Lot of bears, beautiful country.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

its about 6 miles past the nature center and you will need to get .5 miles of the trail. very doable but you are still low in elevation. So plan on tacking on about 2-5 miles to your hike in to even start hunting. Thats 7-10 miles in just to glass. You may find one closer then that but odds are it will be brown. I have made that hike around 6 times and only seen one black in the nature center and 5 browns up in the hills. One was about 3 feet off the trail. lol

Thanks for the information so far guys. I am thinking of doing the hike sometime soon in the winter to check out the area. PM me if any of you would be interested in coming along. It will help me figure the area out better, get in shape and also possibly get to know a hunting partner. Wow, 3 feet off the trail! That is mighty close. Sounds like a lot of walking on relatively flat terrain, any steep sections?

I got the rifle tag by the way.

The incline is rather gradual all the way. I have not done that hike in deep snow you may need c/c skies or something else.

Need to be a 1/4 mile off the trail to shoot, but depending on where you are that can be hard to do because of the terrain. The trail is not steep, but the canyon can be.
    I would not plan on going in there in winter without skies or snowshoes. First time I hiked in one spring, I had bare ground the first 4 miles but about a 1/2 mile from icicle creek, I was post holing through waste deep snow. Be aware of the risk of avalanche.

I will wait for spring probably given your experience and advise. Let me know if you're up for a spring hike. from pictures looks beautiful for hiking

It's up the road from my house. Heck of a hike in the snow and really not worth it IMO, until the snows out pretty much. Plan on mid May time frame +/- a couple weeks. Very nice area for sure and some big browns, just can't hunt them unless you draw.

Personally, since your new at it, you might want to look at a easier hunt for your first one. Unless Brian wants to take you. :-). But he's part sheep I think...

Good luck.
    Tony

thank you. Would you be interested in this hunt Tony? Are there elevation along the trail to glass bears?