Thread: Brand new Tikka Questions

Default Brand new Tikka Questions

So just got a new Tikka T3 Lite in 7-08 and I am going to load up some rounds for it starting with the Hornady 139 gr SST

1) I went ahead and chambered a fully sized unloaded brass - testing fitting. It is difficult to close the bolt - not impossible but requiring force to push to bolt nob down i.e engaging the bolt face lugs. Ejecting the same brass was not difficult and quite unremarkable compared to the force required to engage the lugs on the bolt face. Any other Tikka owners have this problem with their brand new gun.

2) Seating depth - Unable to get it remotely close to the lands due to the magazine length. I've had this issue with other rifles but this Tikka is a long action rifle chambered for a short action round. It would make since to me if the magazine length was longer. Will an after market or original magazine sized for say 270, -06 or 300 fit and work for a 7-08?

Thanks,
    Darin

Quote Originally Posted by akroxy View Post
    So just got a new Tikka T3 Lite in 7-08 and I am going to load up some rounds for it starting with the Hornady 139 gr SST

1) I went ahead and chambered a fully sized unloaded brass - testing fitting. It is difficult to close the bolt - not impossible but requiring force to push to bolt nob down i.e engaging the bolt face lugs. Ejecting the same brass was not difficult and quite unremarkable compared to the force required to engage the lugs on the bolt face. Any other Tikka owners have this problem with their brand new gun.
    There are lots of variations in headspace dimensions, all the while being within specifications. So long as the bolt closes, I'd not get too worked up and I'd expect fireformed cases to work more smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by akroxy View Post
    2) Seating depth - Unable to get it remotely close to the lands due to the magazine length. I've had this issue with other rifles but this Tikka is a long action rifle chambered for a short action round. It would make since to me if the magazine length was longer. Will an after market or original magazine sized for say 270, -06 or 300 fit and work for a 7-08?

Thanks,
    Darin
    Magazines swap around easily in Tikka rifles. It is no problem to use an '06 based magazine in a .308 Win parent case Tikka. To garner the extra OAL you'll also need to modify/replace the bolt stop. Depending upon your purposes, I doubt I'd go to that much trouble and simply try your ammo at the maximum length allowed by the magazine. You could load your rifle as a single shot to see what advantage you can gain with longer than mag length cartridges and then opt to retrofit for function if it proves to be a desirable gain.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I had a similar problem with my Tikka in 308 using Lake City brass. I could not chamber full sized brass. Partly it is due to pretty tight chambers I think, but mostly my problem was that I was not lubing the expander ball and when I pulled the expander back up thru the case neck it was pulling the shoulders back up.

I haven't had the second problem with mine but I've not tried to get right up to the lands as of yet, I know that I've gotten within .030 or so though.

So since my post, I went and inked with a sharpie a full sized case to determined where it's rubbing. It is definitely rubbing at the headstamp. Some are very difficult the "lug in" but not impossible. Will it be safe to fire one of these case and after firing will the formed case be easily chambered?

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I had a similar problem with my Tikka in 308 using Lake City brass. I could not chamber full sized brass. Partly it is due to pretty tight chambers I think, but mostly my problem was that I was not lubing the expander ball and when I pulled the expander back up thru the case neck it was pulling the shoulders back up.
    Same experience with my Tikka 30-06. Headspace is minimal, and if I don't lube either the case necks or the expander ball, the die will sometimes pull the neck back slightly on the downstroke and cause stiff chambering. Easy to avoid if you realize the cause.

YK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Tikka took a page from the weatherby handbook and put a lot freebore on their rifles. Also I'm not going to throw all these ifs ands buts out their are you sure you sized your cases right? Anyhow seat the bullets until they fit in your magazine. My wife has a tikka in a 7-08 and shoots 139 gmx really well.

I've not experienced excessive freebore in any of the Tikka T3's I work with, 3 270 WSM, 2 7mm Rem Mag, 4 308, and the only one I've ever not been able to get to "shoot" was a SS 338 win mag and it wouldn't shoot ANYTHING decent - the magazine length is a "limiting factor" though but I've found T3's as a whole to be remarkably good shooters

Thanks for the replies.

The brass I am trying to use is not new. They have been shot in a Rem model 7 but as I said, full length sized therefor "in theory" returning the brass to factory specs. I use Hornady new dimension dies and follow the manufacture instructions that came with the die to adjust. I use one-shot aerosol case lube. As far as I know I am sizing the cases correctly, although may have less then adequate inner neck lube but never have had any problems with cases stuck in the dies. Cases are trimmed every time.

Question - How do you guys lube your expander ball?

So here is my next course of action:
    1) try factory loads - at this time there are none avail. in town (Sitka)
    2) try new never been shot brass - need to order
    3) resize existing brass paying close attention to lube expander ball and case neck then trim
    4) Deep clean chamber of gun - already done but won't hurt to do it again
    5)......

What do you guys think?

I would try #3 first. You should be able to chamber that brass in your rifle. I put a tiny smear of imperial sizing wax on a q tip and swab the inside of every other or every third neck. It makes a huge difference. I would think you could hit the inside of the necks with a shot of that spray lube and then let it dry a bit.

another handy tool that is not necessary but helpful and cheap, is a go-no go gauge for your cartridge. I can drop a 308 cartridge in mine and tell immediately if something's out of whack.

also make sure that after you screw the die down to touch the shell holder,that you screw it in another turn or so to make sure you are sizing all the way to the base.

also make sure that after you screw the die down to touch the shell holder,that you screw it in another turn or so to make sure you are sizing all the way to the base.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

dkwarthog - thanks, this is exactly what I did last night and low and behold the cases chambers without difficulties at all.

323 got me thinking about my sizing process. I re-read the manufacture instructions for the hornady dies set and interesting they stated to screw the die down to touch the shell holder - do not over-cam. No instruction to screw it in another turn or so but I did anyways on a well lubed case and now I have cases that chamber without difficulty. Only had to screw the die down another 1/4 turn. Ya know, KISS -Keep It Simple Stupid - applies more often than not. I was ready to take the gun back claiming head space issues. KISS

Thanks everyone for you help and comments

On a Tikka different note - Who has adjusted the trigger for their rifle? I did and man it really feathers it up nicely. 2lbs - really?

Glad you got it figured out. I know how frustrating it was for me. I ended up with a whole box of loaded ammo before I realized I couldnt chamber it. I couldnt figure out what I could possibly be doing wrong... I gave it to a friend since it chambered fine in his rifle, so all was not lost. I still prefer not to work with the Lake City brass though, that stuff is really hard....

for the trigger statement, I have adjusted mine on both my 338 and 25-06, and yes they really do come down very nicely. tis gotten to a point where i shoot my ruger 375 and then the 338, and the 338 surprises the hell out of me because the trigger is soooo much cleaner and lighter. have fun loading for the 7-08, these tikka's really do shoot well when you find the load they like