Thread: Moose fur coat possible?

Default Moose fur coat possible?

Hi,

Can you make a winter jacket with moose fur? Or is it not suitable for a winter coat? If yes, would the fur off a single bull moose be sufficient for a coat for a 220 lb man? Has anyone done this before with any taxidermists in Anchorage? Thank you.

One hide seems like plenty of material to me, although two would be better, getting someone to do it might be another story.

Alpha wouldn't tan a moose hide when I called, a guy in the valley said he'd tan one for $800 up front.

I tanned 2 caribou hides this year that turned out cool, but when I got to looking at the moose hide hanging in my garage I realized it was way to big for me to deal with so I sent it to Idaho, $90 just in shipping...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Limon said, its spendy to send it to moyles for tanning. It seems like it would be pretty darn heavy, even after tanning. Also, in my experience, the hairs tend to break and fall out relatively easily. Not trying to discourage you, and I could be wrong, just my initial thoughts.

Yeah, I don't think the hair on a moose is that conducive to garment wear. But as far as a moose "leather" coat, I don't see why that wouldn't work just fine...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yeah, I don't think the hair on a moose is that conducive to garment wear. But as far as a moose "leather" coat, I don't see why that wouldn't work just fine...
    Yes, moose leather is what most of the interior Athabaskans wore around; smoke tanned moose "buckskin".
    You can slip the hair by soaking it, then work the skin, finally smoke it over a willow framework with a fire of rotten wood.
    The skin is very supple and orange colored when done correctly. But I guarantee you, people will know you are in the room, because you will always smell like a campfire no matter how long you have had the skin. I kinda like the smell myself.

Thanks for the responses. So I guess by removing the hair, you can make a coat from the hide that would be good to stay warm in. What do you soak the moose fur in to remove the hairs?

Quote Originally Posted by hunterwannabe View Post
    Thanks for the responses. So I guess by removing the hair, you can make a coat from the hide that would be good to stay warm in. What do you soak the moose fur in to remove the hairs?
    Never done it before. I think you just use water (weight it down) until the hair slips. I believe "The Alaskan's How To Handbook" (available on this site) tells one way to do it. I've heard that if you intend to have a hairless moose hide, you can pull out lots of back hair right after you kill it. Apparently comes out easily in big handsfull.

Moose would be no different than deer (except the grand scale of the hide. )Make lye by filtering rain water through hard wood ashes. Soak the hide in lye water and the hair will slip. Use a fleshing beam and knife to shave the hide. I use a 12 inch diameter piece of PVC pipe because it so smooth. There are any number of home tanning kits available through Van voids or other taxidermy outlets. One moose should yield enough for a jacket (depending on the size) . You would need to buy a few of the tanning kits as they are sized for deer sized hides. Hair off would be a better choice for moose than hair on.

I was told by the tannery in the valley that the hair will break easily because it's hollow.

I choose to have mine done anyway for a bedspread on a spare bed that doesn't get used often.

I hadn't thought about taking the hair off, might have to try that next time.

I used the Lutan-F kit from VanDykes, about $60 for 10 pounds or so, plenty to do the two caribou I did, with about half of it left over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk