Thread: 358 sta

Question 358 sta

Does anybody here reload for the 358 STA or have any dealings with one. Thanks in advance.

I love mine.... How can I help?

Thanks DoubleBugle,

I have a Encore with a custom barrel in 358 STA. I am a huge fan of the 35 cal. Mine is a 24" barrel with a 1-14 twist. I'm hoping 225 grn bullets shoot well with it. What powder have you got the best results with? Mine has been RL-19 at around 91 grns. I haven't had a chance to try many different powders yet but I have tried RL-22, IMR 4350 and H4350. Do you fire form your on brass? I have some (not many head stamped) head stamped brass but also have 8mm Rem mag brass to fire form. What distance do you feel the round is capable of clean kills with good shot placement? Any other info you have on the STA your willing to share would be nice. Thanks again.

Mine is built on a Remington 700, and has a Lija 25 in barrel with a 1 in 12 twist.
    My rifle's favorite powder is H-4831, and my pet load is 91gr pushing a 225 TSX.
    I head pressure problems with RL-22 so abandoned testing with it. Other powders I played with was IMR 7828, H-1000, H-4350.
    You asked how I make brass. I was able to get some 8mm rem mag before I got my rifle. Ran it through my FL sizer die and fire formed using 250gr hornaday and H-4350.
    Now it has been next to imposable to find 8mm rem mag brass, so I use hornaday basic belted magnum brass. I run it through a 416 rem FL sizer, and then the 358 sta sizer die, trim. This gives me a 95% return. There is an adequate shoulder that fire forming is not mandatory, but I have found that accuracy is better on the second firing. So I fire form using 15 gr of unique, and cream of wheat.
    The only thing I have killed with it is a number of black tales, all at relative close range. As for max range I hold my self to 250 yards or so, but that is more a reflection of my abilities then the rifles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I also had pressure signs with RL-22 but I have yet tried H-4831. I will have to look and see if I have some and give it a try. I have been looking for more 8mm Rem mag brass but haven't found anymore. I also would like to try some 225 Accubonds. I have been shooting 225 Barnes TSX Flat base and 225 Sierra Game King.

I'm hoping to have mine dialed in for moose season this year but if for some reason I don't, I will bring the 350 G&H back out. That is another awesome 35 cal. Thanks for the info