Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pike Lures

Default Pike Lures

I was catching pike at cheny(sp) lake today, but i was using salmon lures. I was wondering lures are best. I need something that floats on top cuz of the thick weed beds. Can't find much here locally. i did get some Bombers but they dive a lil to deep. What lures do you guys use for pike

Default go weedless

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1
    I was catching pike at cheny(sp) lake today, but i was using salmon lures. I was wondering lures are best. I need something that floats on top cuz of the thick weed beds. Can't find much here locally. i did get some Bombers but they dive a lil to deep. What lures do you guys use for pike
    My favorite Pike lure back in the Midwest and Ontario has always been a weedless Johnson Silver Minnow. Its a weedless spoon. I put a wiggly tailpeice on or a grub minnow to wiggle and entice them on the hook.

Good Luck.

Default pike

We have always had great luck using a weedless rubber frog. Eric

This year I want to try a weedless rubber frog, herring imitation by berkley, and some minow imitation hooks. I have always stuck with a minow imitation fly on a steel leader, and it has worked out very well for me. If you put enough weight on the shank of the hook you can use it on a spinning rod too.

Default Pike Lures

I say go BASS style. Top water buzzbaits drive them crazy. Caught like 40 of them on buzz baits last week. They were torpedoing out of the water after the buzzbaits. The faster you burn them the more aggressive they get. Doesn't get any better than that.

Default rapala

floating rapalas, my favorite is the one with the mid section not attached to the rest so that it looks like a fish swimming. Try pike colors as most of the lakes that are inhabited by northerns only have Northerens in them for the most part so they eat themselves.
    When we were spearing last winter we were using herring for bait when we started and then found that the plastic pike look a like lure brought in 10 times more fish than the smelly whole herring.
    Justin

bass fishing i know. Thats what i have done for the last 20 years. I have been trying to find some nice top water plugs. I found a chug bug today. and a few other lures. I love that top water action. i love it when you see a wave of water screaming at your lure and then it explodeds. Thanks for the replys. i will try to get some pike color lures cuz i think there isn't much for them to eat but themselves. Thanks again

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

We use Buzzbaits, spinner baits and the rubber frogs out here.

Default Buzzin'

When you fish the buzz baits, do you run them parallel to shore on the outer edge of cover? or throw to shore directly into cover?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Buzz baits

I cast them to weed/lillypad lines. To the shore and work them back, to structure out in the lake, or sometimes parrallelling a steep bank. The only downfall is the topwater bite doesn't stick around too long in large lakes. In places where you are fishing tributaries that arent that deep (ie Yukon river tributaries/sloughs) they seem to work most of the time. Take a look at some Zara Spooks they work pretty good too just working them where they dart side to side and then kill them periodically seems to make em strike too. Once the fish go deep I switch to deep diving crank baits and Rapalas mixed in with Pixies and spoons.

Default what time of day?

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1
    I went out with the canoe after I read your post, same night, after seven pm... no luck at all. Nada.. didn't see anyone else fishing who caught any fish either. WHile we were headed back to shore, someone called out from a truck "there aint no fish in there" my husband said he thinks he is starting to believe them!.. lol

We used a buzzbait, a silver minnow weedless with a grub minnow attached, jointed rappalas, deep diving straight body rappalas, red and white daredevils, moss frog weedless bait, pixies and vibrax.

NOT ONE HIT

Default pike lures...

From an ex-midwesterner with decades of putting up with those lousy pike hitting my lures...

Top water lures are generally used early in the morning or late at night when the water is calm. The #1 lure by far for pike is the plain 'ole spinnerbait. With a colorado blade it's pretty much weedless so you can put the lure where they live. BTW, don't forget to let your lure "helicopter" down (single blade lures only) if you're fishing the weedlines. They'll often grab it while it sinks. Johnson's silver minnow (mentioned earlier) are also a good choice. We used to alter our retrieval speeds and give it an occasional hard jerk. Big pike like to follow lures for a bit, and the jerk often triggers the strike. If you use a "popping" topwater like a zara spook or floating minnow retrieved with a jerking motion, remember to resist setting the hook until you see the line going out. Northerns are notorious for missing topwater lures, but when they do miss they stick around and will hit it again and again until they're hooked.

One thing we often do is remove one of the hooks and only leave one. A pike with multiple trebles in their thousand-teeth mouths is a pain in the you-know-what to get out. A jaw-spreader is mandatory equipment in pike country to get the lures out without massive bleeding (to yourself, not the fish). They slam just about any lure you toss in, so the second treble is overkill.

I must admit, it's kinda funny listening to the excitement of pike fishing up here. Back home northern pike are considered garbage fish. I don't know of anyone who fishes for them, eats them, or who doesn't curse when one hits their lure.

We do actively go after muskie (big cousin of the northern pike, no one eats them either) or walleye pike, which is the best eating freshwater fish I have ever tasted.

Default too bad...

you dont fancy pike as table fare, Cheeser.
    We drive from Fairbanks to Kenora, Ontario most years in June for Walleye, smallmouth and northern Pike. We just havent found a salmon yet that tastes like a fresh walleye or northern.
    Fresh caught northern pike is fantastic table fare. We've laid them side by side on a plate with fresh walleye and stumped many hardcore walleye fanatics that couldnt believe how excellent they were, some simply considered the pike better eating!
    Many are just too lazy and/or uneducated to easily remove the y-bones to enjoy them.
    They arent king salmon, but garbage fish?--no way.

I suppose you could spice up a dog turd and make it taste good. That dont mean I want to eat it. LOL J/K!

I have eaten pike but it was a long time ago, and the only thing I remember is a mouth full of bones. We have jarred pike and the bones magically dissapear. To me, if its not brined and smoked, it all fish taste like slime. But I wouldnt consider them a trash fish. Its not called poor mans lobster for nothing!

Default eating pike...

They couldn't tell northern from walleye??? I'd question how experienced they were with either. The color, texture and taste are night and day. And that's discounting the y-bones. :-)

Kenora? Been thru there many times, although not lately because the Ontario walleye are fished out compared to what they used to be 10-15 years ago. It's still a fantastic smallmouth fishery.

And I guess "garbage fish" is relative. One man's lobster is another man's garbage fish. My father was appalled when he immigrated and saw people catching redhorse (suckers) and using them as fertilizer in the garden. Redhorse was fine eatin' where he came from.

Default ontario

Indeed Kenora locally has seen better days.
    Not to be confused, the nearby English river system boasts some of the most premier walleye fishing in the world, IMHO.
    This area is north of Kenora in the Seperation Rapids area.
    They began slot regs about 10 years ago and now 10# walleye can be a daily occurence. And eaters (2-3 lbs) are available by the thousands. And the smallmouth are unreal. We know the area well.
    We wouldnt drive the 5650 miles r.t. for subpar fishing.

Regarding the Pike and walleye, the two side by side with same size fillets in cornmeal and oil...If I blindfolded you, you'd be hard pressed to differenciate in taste. I'd betcha a Johnson minnow on it.

Best, Frank

i was out there from 8pm to 11 that day. I have gone out a few other times and only had a few strikes. I will be out there 2morrow (22nd) around the same time.

What you think of eating pike depends on where you come from. Back home in New Mexico we normally catch huge pike and eat them with out thinking twice. But up here for some reason people think they are garbage.

Default boneless fillets

You can fillet a pike so as to not have any bones it it if you know how and take your time. Fresh is the only way to eat pike. catch em and bring them over to shore and cook em up if you can. Also in minnesota we used to put them on stringers all day and parade them around the lake with us while we tried for more fish. this is not a good practice as i've found as the pike while kept alive longer releases oils and stuff that make it taste not so good because it is injured. you are better off killing them immediatley just like salmon.
    Justin
    Justin

don't quote me on it, but I think it is illegal to keep fish alive on a stringer anyways. So you are better off on killing them right away to cover your bases.

-weedles floating Mouse or a frog is my favorite by far
    - Buzz Baits
    -silver minnow is another good choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast