Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landing Craft questions

Default Landing Craft questions

For those of you that have landing crafts;

What sort of loads can you haul and what are you pushing them with? What is your deadrise, if any?

Are you guys running fresh or salt with them?

I have looked at Munson boats before but Wooldridge appears to have a version of their own in another thread, any details Glenn? What are you guys installing for power with those twin jets?

Neverland, what are you pushing yours with and who made it? Are you doing any commercial hauling with it?

Gary at Great Land welding made a 24' landing craft that my neighbor uses to haul supplies/wheeler to his cabin on the Big Su and it carries an amazing load with a 150 HP jet. His is fairly flat on the bottom with the tunnel hull and gets on step quickly, it's a darn nice utility style boat.

I have ridden with Matt Cline on his landing craft and it scoots along at 30 mph with twin 90's outboards (I believe thats the power) and it bucks the waves nicely. HPIM2491.jpg HPIM2494.jpgIt must be fairly efficient as he has been running for years in PWS.

Anybody ever use Rons riverboat service at Deshka landing? I wonder what he can carry with that big landing craft? I have yet to see it on the river with a load. I believe he's running outboard with props.

I'm curious and wanted to start a new thread since Cressaar had posted his questions about them. It got me thinking.....would like to hear more from guys that have experience with them.

BK

Wonder if they can haul a loaded conex?
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post

Anybody ever use Rons riverboat service at Deshka landing? I wonder what he can carry with that big landing craft? I have yet to see it on the river with a load. I believe he's running outboard with props.

I'm curious and wanted to start a new thread since Cressaar had posted his questions about them. It got me thinking.....would like to hear more from guys that have experience with them.

BK
    In years past I've Seen Ron's huge barge setting in the landing with the well deck full of barrels and Fisher's Fuel filling them all up.
    I seem to recall he had about 3 large 250 HP O/B's pushing that..
    Larry has had 3 large O/B's mounted on the back of his smaller barge.. but i've seen him run with two down and one raised up.. Don't know if he was conserving fuel, or had an inoperative O/B.
    I can't recall what that Monster Barge from Skwentna has for power, but he throws one bad***** bow wake so when I meet him I pull over, slow down and Hang on...

check out Svendsens Marine out of Wrangell. give Dave a call he's been building them for years

bkmail

This is where I got the idea. Obviously this is off the ocean, but I was thinking there would be those that could go up a river. How far up and how much of a payload is the big question.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Life is to short, live life to the fullest

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Wonder if they can haul a loaded conex?

A landing craft was built down here for a customer, I think it was 40 feet, I could be wrong. For the test ride they put a full sized F-350 in the bow and went and drove around the sound. Got up and planed nicely. In salt water of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post

A landing craft was built down here for a customer, I think it was 40 feet, I could be wrong. For the test ride they put a full sized F-350 in the bow and went and drove around the sound. Got up and planed nicely. In salt water of course.
    Now thats what I'm talking about! Would like to learn more about the power plants and hull deigns, prop vs. jet and so on.
    BK

If Ron or Larry can't haul it you don't need it on the river!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Years ago we used Ron to haul a load of lumber up the Yentna for us he thought it was more than 7500lbs, part of an SBS cabin kit. I had a good load in the jet boat and we followed him up the river it was july with bank full water. At that time he just had started using the 2 Carolina skiffs put together with twin Merc 250 I think, the boat did great with that load we were about the same speed. We hauled most everything in one barge trip and 4 trips with the 24ft Wooldridge. Even with cheap gas back then it was a no brainer to use him for one trip between the time and $$$$$$ savings.

Wooldridge appears to have a version of their own in another thread, any details Glenn? What are you guys installing for power with those twin jets? BK
    The details are 31'9" long, 9'9" wide twin 241's with twin Yanmar 8LV's, 370hp each. Glen

Looks like the engines have transmissions on them?
    I see the 241's have the internal clean out are there're going to be stomp grates or is the owner using the transmission to back flush the jets to remove debris?

Quote Originally Posted by sport drifter View Post
    Looks like the engines have transmissions on them?
    I see the 241's have the internal clean out are there're going to be stomp grates or is the owner using the transmission to back flush the jets to remove debris?
    Yes, they both have transmissions for back flushing. Here are some different views of the boat. Glen

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

What sort of loads can you haul and what are you pushing them with? What is your deadrise, if any?

Are you guys running fresh or salt with them?

I have looked at Munson boats before but Wooldridge appears to have a version of their own in another thread, any details Glenn? What are you guys installing for power with those twin jets?

Neverland, what are you pushing yours with and who made it? Are you doing any commercial hauling with it?

Gary at Great Land welding made a 24' landing craft that my neighbor uses to haul supplies/wheeler to his cabin on the Big Su and it carries an amazing load with a 150 HP jet. His is fairly flat on the bottom with the tunnel hull and gets on step quickly, it's a darn nice utility style boat.

I have ridden with Matt Cline on his landing craft and it scoots along at 30 mph with twin 90's outboards (I believe thats the power) and it bucks the waves nicely. HPIM2491.jpg HPIM2494.jpgIt must be fairly efficient as he has been running for years in PWS.

BK
    Mine's a Munson, and I love it. I push it with a Volvo D6/370HP. I don't do any commercial work, just for my own pleasure. One day when I leave my day job I'll probably do some water taxi work to pay for the diesel for my fishing trips. Lightship it will do 40mph. Trimmed up I can cruise at 27mph and burn 3gph. If you check the Munson homepage you can see the details, it's featured under the 30' group. BTW, during sea trials they had the aft prop reversed which is why the web page only shows 37mph lightship. My welldeck is about 4" higher than Munsons made before 2007. The monohull is very seaworthy. Only downside is cruising into the wind. The square bow is difficult to hold directly into the wind. It handles following seas very well.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverLand View Post
    Trimmed up I can cruise at 27mph and burn 3gph. If you check the Munson homepage you can see the details, it's featured under the 30' group.
    3 GPH.....huh? Is there a '1" missing in front of that 3.
    How's the interior set up? Do you have a galley, w/fold down table for sleeping?

Glenn,
    Look forward to seeing your performance # on those LC's. Pretty cool having a transmission to flush the jets.
    Where are these two going?
    BK

It all depends on what your mission is for your landing craft. I can only speak for the river type ,since I was a deck hand on my dads barges for many years. If you want to move a load fast the best barge we had for that was a 40 ft flat bottom with twin 150 outboard props, could move 12,000 lbs on step at 30 mph. If you want efficient we had a full displacement barge that could move 25,000 lbs at 8 mph with a 80 hp diesel. Flat bottom is the best for rivers. I would never buy one built by a boat shop. The best route would find a simple design and hire a good welder and build it yourself.

3 GPH.....huh? Is there a '1" missing in front of that 3.
    How's the interior set up? Do you have a galley, w/fold down table for sleeping?

Glenn,
    Look forward to seeing your performance # on those LC's. Pretty cool having a transmission to flush the jets.
    BK
    Yes a fatfingered error, 9gph, 3mpg.

I do mostly day trips, so no galley. We bring a cooler and a cookstove for ovenights. I have a standup head (my wife is my best fishing partner). Dinette folds down into a bunk. If you go for a Munson everything is custom. That's the beauty. You don't buy a boat and then modify it. Lay out the cabin the way you want it. I didn't like like the fact that the head was blocking my view aft, so the builder suggested I put window in the head. Wife said she didn't care if people saw her head while taking a pee, so we have a head with windows on both wides. I'll have it in the water in Seward in June. You're welcome to come by for a visit. It seats 8.

Glen,
    BK
    I'm looking forward to seeing the performance numbers also. This boat is going to Uruguay. Glen

ron's calculations give him a load capacity of just under 12K.
    2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    20' Alumatech Airboat
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow

Steve at ATEC in Soldotna has built lots of landing craft.....most of them working in Homer and Bristol Bay....his current project....48X15 with Quad 300's.....I like to call it Noah's arc.....the house is huge on it!!!
    It's better to burn out than fade away.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast