Thread: Anyone headed to Hatchers tomorrow or Turnagain on Sun?

Default Anyone headed to Hatchers tomorrow or Turnagain on Sun?

Not sure why I didn't think about posting here sooner. I have not been on much recently, and new to snowmachining. Bought a used '13 skidoo 154" 800R ETEC and learning to ride in powder. Machine is just now broke in at around 220 miles. Curious who will be out there and if possible to meet up and ride, thought about going alone before last weekend, but we all got stuck in hatchers and what a pain! Plus one small avalanche was cut loose by a member of the group. Yup, kind of a big eye opener! Granted, people generally around, but would be nice to actually be with a group ya know. Still learning, but getting there and wanting ride this weekend. Sunday I should be going to Turnagain for the first time riding. Will be with one if not 3 people, if nobody backs out. Just a thought, will check back in the morning. Gonna sleep in a bit for sure.

Wonder why this forum seems kinda dead?

Not going to Hatchers but here is what the park service has to say:

As of Staurday January 11, 2014 the lower sections of Hatcher Pass will open to snow machine access. These areas include Arch Angel Valley and access from Gold Mint Lot. As always Gold Mint Valley and Reed Lakes area are non-motorized. Please respect the boundaries in place on Arch Angel Road and Good Hope Creek.

There are still exposed or slightly covered rocks and the creeks are still open in most areas.

Please be safe and Happy Recreating!!

Not going to Turnagain either. I don't go there much anymore but from what I've heard conditions are not great. Also, the avalanche conditions are bad right now. You should check the following website anytime you are heading down there:

http://www.cnfaic.org/index.php

You and everyone in your group has a beacon, shovel, and probe, right?

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    ...You and everyone in your group has a beacon, shovel, and probe, right?
    Good advise here, those items listed should be mandatory for a sled trip up into the mountains.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    Not going to Turnagain either. I don't go there much anymore but from what I've heard conditions are not great. Also, the avalanche conditions are bad right now. You should check the following website anytime you are heading down there:

http://www.cnfaic.org/index.php

You and everyone in your group has a beacon, shovel, and probe, right?
    Not sure about everyone who will be going Sun, but I do, other guys I was with last weekend all did though! Yup, I check that site daily man. Plus a few others. Plus all the web cams and wx stations. Not sure why snowmachiners don't post much observations. Only reason I will go to turnagain is cause thats where the other guy and his wife will head, if bad snow, I won't mind playing down low, know the areas pretty good down low. Not looking to get into trouble over in Seattle! Seen a observation a few days where a snowmachiner saw the Bowl 2 avalanche, whole side did! I always trust the gut feeling!

Hatchers was fun last weekend, up over summit, down the road a bit and back in that bowl to left. 4 avalanches in there, 3 were high, and the one the guy cut loose down lower. Top of it looked about a 1' deep. Wouldn't have been a problem if he got caught. Though, it was an eye opener. He wasn't even trying to go where he did, machine caught funny, shifted him, he ended up side hilling and climbing a tad at the same time, he passed under a huge rock outcropping, once he cleared it, it cut loose underneath it.

Headed down to Turnagain to bunny hunt, since nobody had beacons. No bunnies and snow didn't look the greatest, few people were out there though. Not many and most looked to be hanging low. Snow was a little crunchy up at summit area. Same or worst as 6 mile creek area along highway. Hatchers looked to be sunny on Sat. This weekend we are thinking of heading towards Eureka, buddies had a blast in Thompson Pass, deeeeeep snow! Flat light though this past weekend. Anyone heading north this coming weekend, granted we don't get rained out! Don't care about Anchorage, as long as mountains get snow!