Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Leasing

Default Boat Leasing

A buddy of mine who PCSed out of this state leased a boat every year. I have looked and looked and have only found rentals, and this will not do. I am looking to lease a ocean boat +22 feet, and for about a month. I don't know if he was involved in a underground close knit circle of friends, or just lucked out. I am willing to spend about 2000 on a month with your boat. I will pay for any maintenance due within the time frame, and anything I break. The best part about this deal is i will test you boat from mid May to Mid June. PM me for any takers, I have ran boats my whole life and am looking for something different this year than just a rental. I will take care of you boat for a month and pay for 2000 dollars worth of payments for you. Just shoot me a PM.

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Default Something to consider

Jojo,
    Another option might be to buy a boat, run it for a month and sell it for $2000- less than you paid. If you bought it at a fair price and sold it for considerably less, you should have no problem unloading it 30 days later.

BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Jojo,
    Another option might be to buy a boat, run it for a month and sell it for $2000- less than you paid. If you bought it at a fair price and sold it for considerably less, you should have no problem unloading it 30 days later.

BK
    That's what I'd do.

I would do the whole buy a boat and sell it in after the season for 2000 less, but i don't have 20-25 thousand dollars laying around to do this method. My wife is very close to letting me buy my own boat, but figure the leasing will let her experience the ocean and kind of sell her on the idea. She loves the ocean and now with the kids getting a little older i just want to show her what i see every year. I know she will fold soon there after.

One problem is you want to use someones boat during our short boating season.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I wish you the best of luck as you have nothing to lose in asking. Others have mentioned that you should just buy one and sell it for a couple grand less than what you paid. This isn't bad advice at all, but sure is a pain. You mention that you don't have 20-25 grand lying around to do this method and the reality is 20 grand doesn't buy that kind of ocean boat usually. It does buy a solid project or a decent but well used older boat that is 2 decades old.

But don't lose all hope, you very well may find someone in a situation where they have to rent their boat because they are just about to lose it to the bank, but this isn't likely. You may also find someone who doesn't use their boat much that you could convince to rent to you and get lucky. Maybe you will, but you might want to consider other options too.

The reality of this deal (for everybody not losing their boat to the bank) is with renting a boat in the way that you mentioned and I am envisioning, if anything went wrong, that unless you paid a lawyer a good amount of money to write a legally binding contract to protect both parties, the owner of the boat would be responsible for whatever happens. Plus, if the boat inadvertantly sank, was damaged, or was destroyed, the boat owner's insurance company would not cover it which transfers liability to the owner again. I know you could write something up as I mentioned above, but with what legal stipulations and what security deposit? While 2 grand is 2 grand, when it comes to boats 2 grand feels more like 200 bucks when it comes to what you get when buying one. It just isn't worth the risk, worry, or the headache for most owners for minimal compensation.

Here is a link to a place that rents boats on PWS. They have good dependable boats that are set up nicely. http://alaska-boat-rentals.com/boats.htm

Have you asked your friend where he got this deal? Apart from a group of friends, I think your odds of finding such a situation are unlikely. It costs from $400-600 for a day's rental, and in the neighborhood of your stated offer for a week. As another mentioned above, short of a desperation situation where someone might be losing their boat, it seems like that price point will be tough to find. I do wish you luck, though.

I think your best bet is to add a few bucks and go rent for 2 or 3 weekends. I for one wouldn't lease, rent, lend my boats to anyone, they never run them like the owner, know all the "noises" they usually make and more important recognize and pay attention to any new noises. I can only imagine what the liability would be if something happened !!! I wish you luck but i'd be making reservations with the rental guys.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I think if your budget was higher you might have more luck.. in the summer you would have trouble renting a car for $2000 a month let alone a boat.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

if youre military did you try the activity center , I think they rent Aurora boats with tops

Quote Originally Posted by Hana Paa View Post
    if youre military did you try the activity center , I think they rent Aurora boats with tops
    They also have two 2525 kingfishers this year but there is a limit on the amount time you can rent one.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

This would be the way to go a nice starter boat.

24' Bayliner 242 Classic Cruiser PL143
    2003 BAYLINER 242 CLASSIC CRUISER 24 x 9-6 w/ Mercruise 5.7L 250 hp & Bravo II outdrive have been dealer maintained. Aft deck seating, swim step, transom door. Comfortable cabin has galley w/ cook stove, microwave, sink & storage. Private head. 80 gal fuel, 20 gal water tank.Very good condition. Includes tandem King Salt Water trailer. Boat has had very good care & upkeep. Located Homer, Alaska
    $39,900

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    I would do the whole buy a boat and sell it in after the season for 2000 less, but i don't have 20-25 thousand dollars laying around to do this method. My wife is very close to letting me buy my own boat, but figure the leasing will let her experience the ocean and kind of sell her on the idea. She loves the ocean and now with the kids getting a little older i just want to show her what i see every year. I know she will fold soon there after.
    Jojo,
    You don't need $25k laying around to do this. You need a decent down payment, get a loan, and then sell it and pay off the loan. If you price it right you might not even make a single payment.
    I wouldn't loan anyone my boat as Potbuilder pointed out. Plus, you are not willing to compensate what the market price is going for an ocean boat which is what the Whittier rental fleet gets, in the neighborhood of $500-$700/day for an ocean boat.

Another option would be to hire Matt Cline at Aquatech and stay on the Cathy G with your wife. Matt will run you guys around for the bear season, pull shrimp pots, etc.... She'll get the full experince in style and you will have nothing to worry about as far as liabilty or operating skills. At the end of the trip you walk away with no worries of returning a rented boat in the same or better condition than you took it.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    I am willing to spend about 2000 on a month with your boat.
    I think you need to get real. That's $66 a day.

I doubt you can rent a canoe for that, but a 22+' ocean boat? You're just dreaming and breaking your own heart.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I think you need to get real. That's $66 a day.

I doubt you can rent a canoe for that, but a 22+' ocean boat? You're just dreaming and breaking your own heart.
    +1

We rent boats in Ketchikan every summer because we REALLY like to DIY. The typical skiff rental is $85-$155 per day, a 20-22' aluminum covered boat (Thunderjet, Hewescraft, et al) is about $200-$300 per day, and the few 24'+ class boats available are over $300 a day. Ketchikan rental boat prices are low in comparison to places further north like Homer or Whittier.

I rather like the suggestion made earlier about buying a boat at the start of the season & then selling it in the fall. Just be sure to do a thorough inspection & test-run before buying to ensure that you don't spend the summer fixing a broken boat

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek the Greek View Post
    +1

I rather like the suggestion made earlier about buying a boat at the start of the season & then selling it in the fall. Just be sure to do a thorough inspection & test-run before buying to ensure that you don't spend the summer fixing a broken boat
    If you were really looking to recover most of your money at the end, buy a boat towards fall and sell it at the start of the following season.

I know all about rentals. I know where to go, and how much to spend. I can get this boat on base for 200 a day, but there are many problems with renting a boat. You are locked into certain dates, so when a snow storm happens on the second week of May you can move your days for hunt, can't do that with a rental. Sometimes they break, and you have to deal with some BS rules on range, or even beet up equipment by negligent renters.

Boat leasing is out there i have seen it first hand. If you owe 300-400 dollars a month for you boat mortgage and you are not using it in the month i want it. Why wouldn't you consider it? My buddy rented a 36' byliner last year for two months at 5000 bucks. Just because you guys use your boats form april to sept doesn't mean everyone does.

Thanks for wishing me luck on the venture, I will continue else where. Hopefully i don't have to rely on the Army Rentals.

Offer this guy $30,000 and I bet you got a boat. Then you can rent it out to other people and pay for it in no time. Plus you could use it as a tax write off

32 Bayliner 3270 Twin Diesel PL129
    1989 BAYLINER w/ twin Hino 135 hp diesels. Hurth marine gears. Comfortable w/ cabin w/ accommodations for up to (6), including master stateroom. Full galley. Covered deck. Downriggers. Electric anchor winch. 200 gal in (2) alum tanks. Extras. Located Homer, Alaska.
    $39,500

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Offer this guy $30,000 and I bet you got a boat. Then you can rent it out to other people and pay for it in no time. Plus you could use it as a tax write off

32 Bayliner 3270 Twin Diesel PL129
    1989 BAYLINER w/ twin Hino 135 hp diesels. Hurth marine gears. Comfortable w/ cabin w/ accommodations for up to (6), including master stateroom. Full galley. Covered deck. Downriggers. Electric anchor winch. 200 gal in (2) alum tanks. Extras. Located Homer, Alaska.
    $39,500
    Ok Ok MG don't lie to me......is this your boat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast