Thread: Halibut help

Default Halibut help

So this will be my first year fishing for halibut in SE alaska ( Ketchikan). I have fished with halibut before, and I know what tackle and baits to use. The question is I don't know what to look for area wise. I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole, just an idea. Do I look for humps, holes, sand, rocks, creek mouths? I just don't know. All the internet really shows is off shore. And really deep. I'm not looking for giants, Just enough fish to keep my dad happy when he flys out in June/July. Is there a depth of water I should try to target. Or is bottom contour everything.

Pm me with your phone number. Way to much to post.

"Valleys" and slopes are generally good terrain, as are around or on pinnacles. Fish a rocky bottom. Stay away from mud and sand; unless you're starfishing. Try to fish near the ocean early in the season, and fish more on the inside as the season progresses. Generally set 50-30 fathoms early, and 40-10 fathoms late season. I've seen halibut diving in October as shallow as 7-10 fathoms.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    "Valleys" and slopes are generally good terrain, as are around or on pinnacles. Fish a rocky bottom. Stay away from mud and sand; unless you're starfishing. Try to fish near the ocean early in the season, and fish more on the inside as the season progresses. Generally set 50-30 fathoms early, and 40-10 fathoms late season. I've seen halibut diving in October as shallow as 7-10 fathoms.
    This is generally good advice. I look for ledges, humps, and pinnicales. Fish around, not on, pinnicales and humps. If you fish ledges, fish close to the edge. I've seen some ledges that work that are only 5' above the surrounding bottom. I don't fish SE, I fish PWS for halibut. Locals should tell you the general area, you just have to work it and find specific spots. Good luck.