Thread: More Espar D2.........?

Default More Espar D2.........?

I am finally getting ready to buy a D2 for our project and have a few more questions from those using them, I know many use the D4 but suspect there would enough similarities.

I have heard they can make some noise, I dont need silence at night but would like to plan as best as possible to reduce noise.

Is any one using a muffler on the exhaust?

How about insulation around the exhaust, it seems Espar makes some "sock" type material, limited info but it appears to be minimal and wondering if some exhaust wrap would be worthwhile.

Combustion intake, I can easily run this out the bulkhead (~3'), any value in that?
    Also they make a muffler for the intake, anyone use one?

And last, what about the fuel metering pump, I may be able to install that in the cockpit, near the fuel tank, have heard they are noisy as well..

Well almost last what do you do with the drain line off the elbow?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I am finally getting ready to buy a D2 for our project and have a few more questions from those using them, I know many use the D4 but suspect there would enough similarities.

I have heard they can make some noise, I dont need silence at night but would like to plan as best as possible to reduce noise.

Is any one using a muffler on the exhaust? (Nope)

How about insulation around the exhaust, it seems Espar makes some "sock" type material, limited info but it appears to be minimal and wondering if some exhaust wrap would be worthwhile. (I used what Espar gave me, an insulated sock. It's purpose is to keep you from burning something as it gets hot. Depending on your location, you might want more insulation. Mines under the kitchen cupboard so its out of the way)

Combustion intake, I can easily run this out the bulkhead (~3'), any value in that? (Yes, the air sucking in the small vent line does make some noise and I stuffed mine behind the cabinet and down near the floor so it is a bit muffled.)
    Also they make a muffler for the intake, anyone use one? (nope)

And last, what about the fuel metering pump, I may be able to install that in the cockpit, near the fuel tank, have heard they are noisy as well..(It makes a clicking sound, my pump is outside so you can't hear it in the cab. At first it clicks a bunch till the cabin is warmed up, then it slows right down and is barely audible. Keep in mind, the blower will be on high at this point as well, kinda like your defrosters on high in the car, air rushing out the vents.)

(Never had anything drip out, even in the winter at 9 degrees two weeks ago in PWS for 4 days. I keep a lil plastic drip pan below it just in case.)

(ANSWERS ABOVE, AFTER YOUR QUESTIONS)

Heres a thread of my install and a "hot box" that I added to the system.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=espar+install
    BK

I just installed the D2. A friend had ordered the exhaust muffler for his boat but I but tried it on my boat, and it does quiet down the heater outside the boat. That works pretty good. But it is noisy on the inside because I mounted it on the bulkhead by the passenger side, so its right in the cabin. I am either going to make an intake muffler or order one. The pump noise doesn't bother me. At least I know its working. I also bought some header wrap at the auto store and wrapped the exhaust pipe more just so it isn't hot at all. But I sure like the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by tomfishhunter View Post
    But it is noisy on the inside because I mounted it on the bulkhead by the passenger side, so its right in the cabin..
    Assume you mean the heater is on a bracket attached to the bulkhead, or the pump?
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    (Never had anything drip out, even in the winter at 9 degrees two weeks ago in PWS for 4 days. I keep a lil plastic drip pan below it just in case.)

(ANSWERS ABOVE, AFTER YOUR QUESTIONS)

Heres a thread of my install and a "hot box" that I added to the system.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=espar+install
    BK
    Thanks BK, The hot box looks like a great idea...
    TR

It gets to 160-180* almost instantly inside the box when the heater first fires up, then simmers down to 120* or so when idling along after the cabin warms up. It dries gloves and anything you can stuff into it in 10-15 mins. It's also good for warming up food like a hotpot on the snowmachine exhaust.
    I must admit, I stole the ide from Kaisersosi.
    BK
    PS-I am running a D4. Awesome heater!

Gotta say the d4 rocks but is a bit noisy. If your cabin has any size at all or you're gonna do late fall, winter, early spring, the 4 is the way to go. No body ever gripes about too much horsepower and for my boat (un-insulated 28' Koffler aluminum) I'm glad I went with it.
    Had Advance diesel do the install and they tried hard to get me to go for the d2 but they're not boat guys. My last run out of Whittier was 10 deg temps with blowing 30 kts. Glad I had it to keep the windows clear. Also going bigger means you can run it often at a lower setting.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post

Is any one using a muffler on the exhaust?

How about insulation around the exhaust, it seems Espar makes some "sock" type material, limited info but it appears to be minimal and wondering if some exhaust wrap would be worthwhile.

Combustion intake, I can easily run this out the bulkhead (~3'), any value in that?
    Also they make a muffler for the intake, anyone use one?

And last, what about the fuel metering pump, I may be able to install that in the cockpit, near the fuel tank, have heard they are noisy as well..

A few answers to your questions below.

No muffler on my exhaust, my unit in behind a cabinet and its not too bad.
    The combustion intake is supposed to be routed outside, however in my research I found that almost no one routes it outside. I ran mine as far toward the back of the cabin I could and along the gunnel.. the cabin in by no means air tight and my intake is within 2 ft of fresh air. I did not use a muffler on it and I have to say its a good percentage of the noise.
    Skip the Espar sock on the exhaust pipe and go buy some header wrap at NAPA. I did mine and even when the unit is on wide open I can touch the wrap for a few seconds without it getting hot. I also kept my exhaust as short as possible.
    The fuel pump makes a clicking sound and the frequency of the clicks depends on how hard the heater is working. I mounted mine in the espar rubber isolator and then mounted that to the back of the cabinet the espar is mounted in. I can still hear it but after a while I kind of like it.. I can wake in in the middle of the night and within a few seconds I can tell if the espar is still on and how hard its working.
    As for what do to about the drain elbow.... I did nothing.. its just there doing whatever it does. Next time I have to go in and work in the area my unit is mounted I plan on putting some copper line on it and running it down into the bottom of the boat.. that is if I see any sign of water dripping out of it. I think its there just to let any accumulated moisture out..

Here is a link to my install thread if your interested: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Install-Photos
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

OK, so finally bought the heater, it came with a "Espar" SS thru hull, straight and then a 15 degree elbow, I think it is a fairly typical exhaust fitting.

In any case I am debating on exit location, Planning to come thru the hull right below the rub rail (in the red, so to speak).

This will be ~ 20" above the water line and well above what Espar calls for, which is ~12". However in your guys experience is this plenty adequate?

We will be able to turn the elbow to point up and the exhaust tube will rise ~ 10"-12" then back down to the heater.

I could install a fitting above the rail, but would have to buy a aftermarket angled fitting.....and not 100 % sure it will fit below the gunnel.....

Any advice here.........?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TR

20'' sure doesn't seem to be much, but they call for a foot so you are probably fine. My only advice would be to install the exhaust aft of the sliding windows. She is coming together nicely. Great looking hull.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    20'' sure doesn't seem to be much, but they call for a foot so you are probably fine. My only advice would be to install the exhaust aft of the sliding windows. She is coming together nicely. Great looking hull.
    Thanks Pete, the old Glasplys were pretty solid....... but man what a project.........! Not much left but a few wires.....
    TR