Thread: Aniak Wood....

Default Aniak Wood....

Heard mixed reports about the wood (log jams) on the Aniak. For a group of experienced boaters is it an issue? How has the wood been in the last few years?

IMO it is always an issue on the Aniak. All systems like the Aniak change yearly. Some years you could have several jams some as small as heck have to bump and jump and some extended up to a mile. As an example the Chena one year was flowing along nice as it mostly does and during spring the river cut a new channel took out a cabin and filled both channels with about 800 yards of solid log. Same thing happens on the Aniak. However stat being said you will find consistent log jobs on the A. It is not that they are not manageable just sucks unloading your boat, and moving everything potential several times. Really sucks if you happen to have one of the rare weeks where it is 80 and sunny! Again Just my opinion

If you do the upper Aniak-- Bring a chain saw!!
    Goo

I have Guided out there over the years quite a bit. Like Goo says it changes often and sometimes all in a 24 hour period. Consider Bell creek into the Salmon than into the Aniak to avoid some of the wood you would have to consider in the upper river. Just a thought.
    https://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/ma...-it-coming.htm

Varse nice to see you back in action. I am assuming you are providing him a copy of the article! Great Stuff! Tell Weave to duck and cover

Jeff-- That was GREAT!! Now I do not feel so bad as I have on some of the early soviet trips!! See you at the show.
    Goo

Good to be back......Crazy times.....Tony and I have been busy with the radio show. I will tell him hello. Ya non english speaking clients are a blessing sometimnes.....other times not so much.