Thread: 24-28 Uscola Offshore boats?

Default 24-28 Uscola Offshore boats?

I am looking at a few used USCOLA boats. They seem well built but I am not sure how well they ride in the slop? Who has been on one? I see four for sale currently. Two with two-strokes (one has been on craigslist forever). One has twin Suzuki 175s and the other has a single Suzuki (seems more of a riverboat design though).

Who has thoughts to share?

I have searched outdoorsdirectory.com so I am looking for newer information.

Also are there any businesses out there who can shine up an older aluminum boat to make her look new? Or techniques or products to recommend?

Thanks,
    Sobie2

My unfiltered opinion is that they have the absolute ugliest cabins I've ever seen on a boat, they make Hewescraft look like Chris Crafts in comparison. Also the bow profiles just more like a river boat than an ocean going boat.

I'm sure they'd work reasonably well if you could get past the aesthetics, but that might be a factor in why they seem to be listed for sale for ever.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I'm pretty sure they are no longer in business. Haven't ever heard anyone brag about them either and I know two guys who owned them.

Alumabrite will make aluminum look like new with zero elbow grease. Spray it on and rinse it off, that simple.
    Greer tank sells it.
    BK

I believe the guy who used to build these was in Palmer. I looked into buying one a long time ago. My general impression was the boats were severely over built and tough as nails. Never had an opportunity to ride in one in the ocean though.

Because they were so over built they are pretty heavy so they need to be powered accordingly and expect fuel consumption to be higher than normal metal boats in the same size range.

Money Pit,

Good observations. When it comes to repower time, a visit to a truck scale will help. In the case of USCOLA you appear to trade looks for durability. I can live with that. I think with some elbow grease one could make one of these boats look respectable again.

I used to own a Hewescraft OceanPro and that served my family well. I am on the fence of a USCOLA or OceanPro220 /Raider 2284/Thunderjet Alexis. You get a lot more boat with the USCOLAs.

I am still waiting to hear how they handle in the ocean through... my buddy had a 28' Koffler BayBee Pilothouse with twin Yamaha 200 HPDIs that would just pound you to death so one day I asked him to slow down, and he did from 45mph to 35mph But it was still a loud pounding boat.

Sobie2

I have an older Grayling 25' Offshore boat built in 1988 that is very similar to the Uscola boats. It is a near twin to this boat:

http://www.alaskaboatbrokers.com/lis...ail.php?id=129

Mine has a slightly different hull form with a higher bow, but retains a similar deep v with reverse chine. I mainly operate out of Seward and find that the boat does a nice job of cutting through the afternoon chop with very little trim tab input. The hulls were pretty heavily built and mine has held up well, while it is relatively heavy for it's size I find that this helps smooth out the lumps. I wouldn't call it a heavy boat though, I recently re-powered with twin Yamaha 115's and have been pleased with their performance, of course a pair of 150's would have been even better, but Dewey's had a good deal on non-current 115's that saved me a ton of money over a set of new 150's. The "ugly" cabin serves it's purpose, ours is a little bigger than one in the link above, and provides a good space for overnighting. Overall I've been pleased with our boat, it's been a nice low maintenance boat that takes use and abuse well. I've given up on the shiny new aluminum look and have learned to appreciate the dull grey battle ship appearance that an aluminum boat takes on over the years.

Azimuth,

Like this one?

IMG_0441.jpgIMG_0442.jpg

Sobie2

To my understanding Merle Uscola originated the design of the USCOLA. USCOLA as a boat manufacturer closed in 2004 and the USCOLA boat design was "sold" to OMAK, Inc. OMAK, Inc. built a couple boats that look like USCOLA but have OMAK on the side and built some snow machine trailers. I think they lasted 2 years and closed up shot in 2006 or so.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=omak

"Azimuth,

Like this one? "

That's the one, maybe not the prettiest girl in town, but gets the job done and doesn't complain too much.

Big Jim,
    Your pm box is full...

Sobie2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sobie-should be good to go!
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978