View Poll Results: achieving a good hunting spot?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Discover your own Alaska!

65 82.28%
  • Pander on forums via pm's threads and posts until success is achieved.

14 17.72%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: pandering for hunting spots on the hunting forum?

Default pandering for hunting spots on the hunting forum?

What's your take in regards to hunters pandering on an open forum for hunting spots?

I'm trying to set up a poll. One choice is:

"Discover your own Alaska"

the other choice is:

"pander on the forums via pm's and threads" until you achieve success.

personally, I get tired of folks pm'ing me (oftentimes someone uninvested in the forum who I don't even know!?) asking for hunting spots or the incessant amount of posts asking where to go. How hard is it to plan your own adventure, even if you come home empty handed, you learn so much just doing things for yourself IMO.

Well I voted for Discover your own Alaska!
    My take is that you should use the forum to find the types of habitat you are looking for in your chosen species. Maybe a tip or trick to make you a better hunter. Advice on caliber and or shot size for various game.
    You might even find a hunting partner along the way.
    But I do not think people should ask (or beg) for hunting spots on the forum even using PM's.
    Same thing with fishing spots or halibut holes. Discover your own.
    Of course they always say it is just to get their kids on an animal or something like that but with new members who knows if they even have kids.
    Guides get paid to show you where the game is. Those of us on the forum do not.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I don't have too much of a problem with folks looking for info here. Asking questions is part of the planning process...ya gotta start somewhere.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Well I voted for Discover your own Alaska!
    My take is that you should use the forum to find the types of habitat you are looking for in your chosen species. Maybe a tip or trick to make you a better hunter. Advice on caliber and or shot size for various game.
    You might even find a hunting partner along the way.
    But I do not think people should ask (or beg) for hunting spots on the forum even using PM's.
    Same thing with fishing spots or halibut holes. Discover your own.
    Of course they always say it is just to get their kids on an animal or something like that but with new members who knows if they even have kids.
    Guides get paid to show you where the game is. Those of us on the forum do not.
    But if they put it on the internet, it has to be true, right????

Quest for knowledge. I see it no different than folks asking what type of gun to use, and what boots/gear/optics, etc works best. That's what the forum is for.

Personally I find the annoying aspect of the forum to be those hunters who constantly seek attention for their actions. I swear some members wouldn't hunt if they couldn't brag about it on the board.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Explore, discover, learn on your own. If info is offered unsolicitied, or invites are there for the taking, by all means take advantage of the fact, but do it with respect to those who find you worthy enough to trust you with that information.

Interesting thoughts. I'm on a few forums and often pm people ( who I don't know or I would just call them on the phone) asking questions about hunts they have been on or about unit info. About 5% say give them a call and give their contact info. About 25 % give out generally vague info that's helpful like east side of unit is better or look at higher elevations to be more productive. 10% say sorry I can't help you and 60% never respond. I've never once had one say maybe hire a guide. I keep detail notes and get enough of those vague responses and it starts painting a picture of places to avoid and some times help narrow down places that need a second look. Of course I always try to be helpful unless you ask for my honey hole

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

I would never ask, and never tell....this goes for fishing as well.

Be adventuresome and discover your own Alaska.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Well I clicked the "Discover your own Alaska."

I don't mind threads that ask questions regarding habitats or about generalized areas or even information regarding general herd movements like the annual caribou migrations. Lots of good threads have compared Nelchina v. 40mile hunts or the "East v. West Denali Highway".

To me that's a guy looking for information he can use to plan. I'm not so much into questions about specific locations about XXX drainage or the ever popular PM asking "where did you get that moose/sheep/caribou." type solicitation.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have given and received area-specific information more than a few times. I guess if the caveat is "open forum", then no - I wouldn't give such information, nor would I ask for it. With regards to sharing the information via PM, I suppose in general some form of relationship/mutual respect is necessary first. I've made some friends on this site and quite a number of acquaintances whom I respect, trust, and with whom I would share information depending on the circumstances. For example, this past fall I asked for some information for a cow hunt my 10 year old nephew had drawn. A couple of members responded by PM and I was very grateful for their help. I've done likewise.

About 8 years ago I had a pretty cool experience out hunting off the Denali Highway. I only had a weekend to hunt that year due to a hectic school schedule, and I was up there proxy hunting my sister's caribou tag while she endured daily chemotherapy and radiation treatments. I ran into a party about 10 miles back and we got to chatting. A few minutes into the conversation the guy asked me if I was Brian from the forums. When I told him that I was, he responded that I had shared some information via PM about his 14C sheep tag the prior year that had led to a successful hunt. He then pointed towards a nearby ridge and said that there was a small band of caribou over that hill. I'm fairly certain that had he not shared that information, I wouldn't have been able to help my sister fill her freezer that year. Pretty cool stuff, and in my mind it represented the best of how information sharing can be done here.

I certainly have given more than my fair share of vague responses when asked for areas, but given the right circumstance, I really enjoy helping others out. In a perfect world we'd all just go find our own areas, but I know that I've needed a hand from time to time, so I'm inclined to offer that hand as well.

(Note: I didn't respond in the poll. Neither of the given options reflect my view, as it is not nearly so black and white.)

Brian, you made a good point with your post. Friends & acquaintances private messaging each other with info is much different than comments on an open forum, or sending a pm to someone you don't know, asking them for directions, or where did you get that nice __________ 'fill in the blank'.
    "Grin and Bear It"

It's a tricky question and there's a difference between general open areas w/ easy access, general open areas w/ tuff access, limited areas, and once-in-a-lifetime (OIL) draws. I tend to guard my general areas w/ easy access very carefully, but will give general pointers to folks I don't know. For the limited draws and OILs, I've certainly asked for advice and I'll give it if asked. These are areas that, for the most part, are non feasible to scout before hand and cost some pretty good coin just to get to. I pretty much ignore the "I have no moneyto but and tell me of a close place that's easy to hunt" type solicitations.

Now of course Mainer, though they have the right to ask.....doesn't mean anyone has to respond.

(I don't dig it either, and my thoughts mirror LG above as far as how I treat my spots and when I feel okay to ask of others, which is rare)

There are lots of lazy people in this world, and the ones that will blatantly ask for help on an internet forum are also the ones that don't leave the truck or walk out of sight of the road.....so they have no bearing on my activities.

I'm in the don't ask don't tell camp.

Giving out specific info can quickly ruin a good area, I seen it happen first hand, I was the big mouth and it strained a very good friendship for awhile.

Not to mention how bad it ruined a very!! good Chukar spot and the surronding area. Good Chukar spots are very limited and ain't easy to come by.
    Plus it's not fair to any of the other folks (folks that you don't even know) that put in their time gas and effort to discover the area or have been useing it for maybe a generation or two.

I also think that pics posted on the net should be cropped to eliminate land marks than can be easily identified.

I agree with Brian.... it isnt necessarily so black and white. plus unless the animal in question is tied down, there is a good chance, they may or may not be in "the area" you direct someone. Everyone can use a little guidance from time to time

This a great poll and I honestly respect both sides of the argument. Personally, I had a hart time when I came up here with finding places to hunt and fish and a few people helped me out. So, I am very sympathetic towards newbies who aren't connected and I try to help. However, there is a difference between someone sincere and someone trying to hustle me like a scam. I have written to a few people on here and one guy wrote me back and thanked me for being so respectful in my query and helped me out. I try to help people but I don't blame you guys who don't say squat. I understand both sides and I voted for the pander option because dreams require all out efforts.

I'm a new hunter and don't expect everything to be handed to me. I want to be able to say I found my own spot without someone pointing me to the exact place. On the other hand I don't see much wrong with asking for generalized information like Hodgeman said so of course I chose discover your own Alaska.

where is the BOTH & EITHER option?

I agree mostly with discovering Alaska for yourself but would I journal information that I felt could be useful for me in the future, heck ya. There are areas that I would be happy to help get someone on the right track with but would hope that they would take my info with a grain of salt as I do with the info I come across and either research further or verify. I liken it to exchanging info with the guys around the "watercooler" at work. I guess I am one of those that fall into the " uninvested in the forum who I don't even know" mentioned in another post, being a member since 07 with only 40ish posts under my belt. Not being a big social media guy and not into posting a lot of the types of posts I see here, I guess what I love is dreaming about being out there when I'm sitting behind a computer or reading a hunting book ( I'd rather be out there when I can). Many of these hunt/fish reports help me make it thru the winter. One of Stids last hunt posts about his last 10 years in AK has had me dreaming (or losing sleep) about sheep hunting for the last week. I'm the type that would give my advice/opinion if asked but don't see a reason to post it otherwise. Anyone expecting everything, every detail to be handed to them is missing the point, the challenge and the fun of it all.

I have ask for advice on occasion, that said I did not come hat in hand, as I have always offered up something in return. I have for sure given out more info by far than I have ask for. I have also been approached while out and thanked for help, sometimes by folks I don't even recognize by face as I only know them by member name and that is very rewarding to me. I think you are being very naive if you think that nobody will ask for advice from you if you seem to have a lot to offer.

One member, for example, he posted several threads about hunting a difficult to access yet popular area and then got mad that people were asking for advice, even had "don't me about DM***" in his signature line. Maybe a simple disclaimer at the end, "Please don't ask me for info on this hunt I have shared all that I'm will to share in this thread"

I tend to try to read a few post before I just offer up info, I will help those that help themselves. Don't take long to see the same people asking for a free lunch over and over in a different way and it most often starts with "not asking for your honey hole but"

I consider many on here friends, even thought we have never met face to face. The thing I have learned is if you don't have sweat equity in a spot and that often comes at great physical and financial cost you are much quicker to give that info up. I have been burnt, but I can tell you this, I have NEVER returned to a spot I was taken without permission of the person that shared that info with me.

So I will continue to share with those that share with me and to seek out the next "honey hole" because isn't seeing what is over the next hill or across the next river what drives us all as hunters?

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast