Thread: Mercury Verado Question

Default Mercury Verado Question

Looking at a 28 foot boat powered by a 2007 250 hp Merc Verado.

Don't know much about this engine at all, but then again I don't know much about outboards in general. Boat is 6 years old and has only 184 hours.........

Good, bad, ugly?

Boat is 5,800 displacement. Is a 250 horse OB enough engine?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

You can't go wrong with a Verado. I had over a thousand hours on my 175 when I sold my boat. I got a new boat last year and powered it with twin 200 Verados. The only thing I would worry about is how long did it sit. I would change the engine oil lower unit oil and put fresh gas to it and run it. Other than that maybe have a good mechanic look it over before you buy it. There is a guy here that just repowered his charter boat with twin 300 Verados because his 250's were worn out after 3000 plus hours.

I think your good with any of the big 4 motors merc, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda. I think where/who's gonna be able to service & get parts & perform quality service would be of importance up here. My 25' Parker specs at 5300lbs. Add gear fuel people & it runs 22-24 knots with a 250 Yamaha I wouldn't want less hp. Not sure the make of hull your looking at but its prob not under nor overpowered. A test ride loaded down would be in order & maybe on a crappy day to see how boat handles too. Good luck

Jouis Jergens operates a whole fleet of Merc Verados in his whale watching business in Juneau. He just bought The Outboardshop so he seems sold on them. The first Verados were known to be excessively thirsty, but usually Mercs have a much lower purchase price so... I also remember that everyone says the Verados are very powerful though (usable HP).

I see that Seasport is selling their 24' model with 250hp single outboards from the factory. I guess your situation would depend on the deadrise.

Sobie2

Boat is 28 foot Harbercraft
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

300hp is the minimum I'd want on a 28' boat, and I'd be much happier with 400-450 hp.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have the 30 foot Harbercraft with twin 200's. The hull planes very well. I know its not a fair comparison but it should be fine. The best way to tell is to go out with the owner and try her out.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Boat is 28 foot Harbercraft
    I have a Harbercraft 2825 with twin 200's. It planes fast and does 45mph+ at WOT. 300-350hp would still be plenty for me but I would be curious to hear how it performs with a single 250..

I have a 2012 Merc. 300 Verado on my 25ft C hawk (27.5' with pod). I love the engine, it's so quiet sometimes you cant even tell it's idling. Sips gas for it's size too. I burn around 11-12gph at 4300 going 27kts +/-. WOT I get 39 knots out of it. Never had an issue with the motor and I have almost 400 hours on it.

Go here>>>>>> http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/index.php it's a great site for the V-Rods

I see on craigslist a 2010 2725 kingfisher with a Yamaha f250, and a 2014 2525 with a Yamaha f250. Maybe give AKMDS a call to because they have sold a few kingfishers.

Sobie2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free