Thread: Chukowan and Kogrukluk Rivers?

Default Chukowan and Kogrukluk Rivers?

Has anyone floated these headwater rivers of the Holinta?

Nope never floated them..........But have hunted them hard. Was a time that country was like the Serengeti........I have never seen anywhere in Alaska the Volume of game that country held back in the 70's & 80's. To be able to stand in camp and view thousand head of game in those open fields. All species native to that area. God.......what an incredible experience.

Yep, I've floated them both. But much has changed since the 80's in those regions. There's a guide who works the upper Chukawon, but success is very limited for moose. Lots of wolves and lots of bears. The Chukawon is an easier float than the Kog, but not worth the expense of getting there from Aniak or Bethel.

I pioneered the Kogrukluk the first time in 2004, and we saw one moose in 55 miles of floating. Saw bears every day multiple times, and wolves every other day. There's a 1/2-mile log jam that has been on the Kog since the late 80's, and it ain't going anywhere soon, likely ever.

Low water threats are common. In some places you'll have to drag into neighboring channels to get around log jams, and the water in those channels is shallow and limited. Canoes with high flotation would be a must, no rafts...although I did it first in a Levitator. Not again, though.

I sent a group there this year and they saw the same thing I saw 10 years, except this time they saw zero moose and plenty of bears.

It was my theory that predator cycles generally run in 10-15-year cycles, this one has lasted longer. Moose are decimated in those drainages, period. I'll monitor it again in five years and see where we are as far as our use, but I would discourage it for quite a while unless you have money and time to burn.

larry

Thanks for the posts... I was actully thinking of these as an alternative for a fishing trip in early August. Something that would have fewer people and still offer some reasonable fishing.... but might not have the amount of log jams that the Aniak does.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

decent silvers and grayling on both streams.