Thread: New power jet impeller

Default New power jet impeller

16 years ago, Outboard Jets (http://outboardjets.com) made a new, larger 7 5/8 power jet (compared to the standard 7 3/8 jet) to work with the growing size and cu. in. of outboard motors. It was a significant improvement for the larger motors at that time; however, motors kept getting more powerful and in some cases the 7 5/8 was no longer sufficient.
    I dont know where this will end up but, I have just tested the next step up and it does a better job with those big motors; its a 7 7/8 impeller. The big improvement I saw was on the 250hp 2-stroke with an empty boat. With the 7 5/8 impeller, it would over rev on a hole shot. After installing the 7 7/8 impeller, no over rev on a hole shot. Granted, the boat was empty so it may slip with a load, but its much improved over the 7 5/8 size, especially for the 250hp motors, or heavy boats. Here are some numbers. Glen

Anyone want to buy a two year old, slightly used 7-5/8 outboard jet.

Quote Originally Posted by copperkip View Post
    Anyone want to buy a two year old, slightly used 7-5/8 outboard jet.
    Or, you could just get a new impeller and liner to update your power jet. Glen

What size impeller should I be running with a Carb Model Honda BF90 on an 18x60 tunnel tiller skiff (17' Alaskan equivalent)?

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    What size impeller should I be running with a Carb Model Honda BF90 on an 18x60 tunnel tiller skiff (17' Alaskan equivalent)?Sobie2
    7 3/8, I call it a 7 3/8 C it sould turn 5000 to 5100. When the first jet was made for the 90 Honda it came with a 7 3/16 impeller. The 7 3/16 turned more RPM, about 5500 or so if I remember, but didn't do well with a load. Glen

Wow great insight and thank you Glen!

Sobie2

@ Glenn Wooldridge:

I was kicking around selling my 2008 4stroke Suzuki 140 w/ jet that hangs off of my Alaskan II for a 200hp ETEC HO or PRO w/ jet.
    I wasn't aware about this impellor/sleeve size difference/performance until I saw your thread and chart comparisons. Good to know.
    In your experience running Evinrude/ETEC's, what's the difference between the HO and the PRO series?? Do you have any info regarding a 200hp on an Alaskan II, center console set up?
    Thanx...

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    @ Glenn Wooldridge:

I was kicking around selling my 2008 4stroke Suzuki 140 w/ jet that hangs off of my Alaskan II for a 200hp ETEC HO or PRO w/ jet.
    I wasn't aware about this impellor/sleeve size difference/performance until I saw your thread and chart comparisons. Good to know.
    In your experience running Evinrude/ETEC's, what's the difference between the HO and the PRO series?? Do you have any info regarding a 200hp on an Alaskan II, center console set up?
    Thanx...
    The 140 Suz is a good load hauler with the power jet, but it's not a V6. The normal motor we would use on that boat would be a 150. A 200 H.O. E-tec or a Merc 200 Pro XS would both be a HUGE differance. The boat is light enough that the new 7 7/8 impeller may not be needed but I believe it would haul more weight. I always want to do some math. What would your boat sell for with the Suz 140 on it and what would the new 200 cost installed on your boat? Together how close is that to a new boat with a 200? If it's within a x amount it may be worth it as the new boat with the new motor is worth X amount more that the old boat with the new motor. Another thought is if your boat if fixed up the way you want it and your going to keep it for many years then get the new motor.Glen

Thanx Glen...
    Years ago, I had a Yamaha 2stroke VMAX 150 on an 18 foot center console boat and I could keep up and sometimes pass most boats with a Chevy 350 inboard. I couldn't pass a gas station, but man it would fly.
    I really like the 140 Suzuki. It does pretty decent on fuel, it's reliable, quiet, does really well with a light to moderate load, it's well built, etc... Just wanting more power.
    My setup as is would fetch 20-25K. Not sure what a new 200 goes for yet, but somewhere close to 20k I'm betting. My outfit is paid for and it's set up how I want it, I love the boat. Just looking for power. Doesn't mean I'd run it wide open, but when I need the xtra power, it's very nice to have.

So, just curious, you got a new boat deal in mind with a 200 hanging off it?
    Thanx....

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Thanx Glen...
    Years ago, I had a Yamaha 2stroke VMAX 150 on an 18 foot center console boat and I could keep up and sometimes pass most boats with a Chevy 350 inboard. I couldn't pass a gas station, but man it would fly.
    I really like the 140 Suzuki. It does pretty decent on fuel, it's reliable, quiet, does really well with a light to moderate load, it's well built, etc... Just wanting more power.
    My setup as is would fetch 20-25K. Not sure what a new 200 goes for yet, but somewhere close to 20k I'm betting. My outfit is paid for and it's set up how I want it, I love the boat. Just looking for power. Doesn't mean I'd run it wide open, but when I need the xtra power, it's very nice to have.

So, just curious, you got a new boat deal in mind with a 200 hanging off it?
    Thanx....
    Swampdonkey, If you buy a 200 give me a call, I would like to talk to you about setting it up. We don't have any inventory at this time but some of our dealor's do. Glen

Thanks Glen. If or when I go that route, you'll be the first person I call...

Here's another comparison between the 7-7/8" vs. 7-5/8". Glen

Wow Glen. Those 3500 RPM numbers are shocking! So shocking that one has to wonder if it's a typo???

Quote Originally Posted by happytobeinAK View Post
    Wow Glen. Those 3500 RPM numbers are shocking! So shocking that one has to wonder if it's a typo???
    No typo and yes I was pleased! The boat was light but not empty. A wide bottom planes at slower speeds and the larger impeller was enough to get her on step at 3500. Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Wooldridge View Post
    Or, you could just get a new impeller and liner to update your power jet. Glen
    Can I do the same thing with a 7 3/8" pump except to 7 5/8"? I'm looking to upgrade my 1998 Alaskan 17ft from 115hp to 175hp. The current pump will work but I'd rather run a 7 5/8" impeller.

Quote Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
    Can I do the same thing with a 7 3/8" pump except to 7 5/8"? I'm looking to upgrade my 1998 Alaskan 17ft from 115hp to 175hp. The current pump will work but I'd rather run a 7 5/8" impeller.
    Your 115 would have a 7 3/8 D, the 7 5/8 will not fit your R jet, but a 7 3/8 V6 impeller would and it would do a great job with the the 175. Glen