Thread: Belgian Browning

Default Belgian Browning

I made a trade some years back and got a Belgian Browning Safari Grade in 7mm RM and I am wanting to do something with it, the problem is I cannot decide what to do, so I am looking for suggestions.

I have no real interest in the caliber, not enough of a fan. Condition-wise, it is a shooter and what I am stuck on is whether I should rebarrel/rebore/rechamber it, or sell trade it for something of interest. The kicker is giving up such a fine action were I to sell/trade it off, and I am a big fan Mauser actions.

So, does anyone have any " I would do this", suggestions?

Well great gun, very good caliber, shoots well . . . Seems a shame to take it apart. Itís the pretty girl that just isnít your type, just no spark there. For me itís anything in 44mag and 9mm, not a thing wrong with them but they are sure a turn off for me no mater how great a gun it is. When a 44mag or 9mm land in my hands I sell it to someone that will give it the love it deserves and buy myself something else and see if I can fall in love with that.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Keep it, shoot it, use it, would be my first suggestion.

7mm Remington Mag. is a great cartridge. (Good for all North American Big Game) It may be a little bit unappreciated here in the Greatland. It has it all over the old obsolete 30-06. EXCEPT, if you need a barrel shorter than 24". Perhaps you could learn to love it.

The 7mm RM also provides a pretty reliable way to identify Dumb Folks. If someone tells you that the cartridge us BUM, you gott'em right there.

I made most of that stuff up, but I'm sincere.

Second suggestion, sell it to a good home.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    ... It has it all over the old obsolete 30-06...
    O-M-G!
    (and I don't even own one anymore!)

I'll consider this, " It has it all over the old obsolete 30-06", an attempt at humor.

Otherwise...

You guys came to the same conclusion I have.

Rebarrel to a 375-338. I passed an inexpensive set of RCBS dies in this caliber several years ago at a gun show, still wishing I would have bought them. You could also make a 358 Norma. Is that long enough action to make a 300 H&H?
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Sell it or keep it as is, most of us change a bit over time and you might hunt other places some day. If I was in the business of regularly stopping pissed off brown bears at 20', I would want some thing bigger. What can't it do very well with today's wonderful bullets? Some one will buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I made a trade some years back and got a Belgian Browning Safari Grade in 7mm RM and I am wanting to do something with it, the problem is I cannot decide what to do, so I am looking for suggestions.

I have no real interest in the caliber, not enough of a fan. Condition-wise, it is a shooter and what I am stuck on is whether I should rebarrel/rebore/rechamber it, or sell trade it for something of interest. The kicker is giving up such a fine action were I to sell/trade it off, and I am a big fan Mauser actions.

So, does anyone have any " I would do this", suggestions?
    send it off for a re-bore to 358 norma. cheap way of making a great rifle better. load you up some 280 grain swift a-frames and be ready for anything at any angle.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    send it off for a re-bore to 358 norma. cheap way of making a great rifle better. load you up some 280 grain swift a-frames and be ready for anything at any angle.
    Who does re-bores? I'd like to do that to a P17 that has a badly pitted barrel.

Does this rifle have Iron Sights?

If so, I think it would be an even greater shame to mess it up.

I can understand how someone would dislike a cartridge. There are some I don't like, and for no good reason, except I want to, I guess.

I was just suggesting to give the 7mm RM a second look, and compare it to something that's well known and popular. I don't know why folks, even me, compare the 30-06 with the 7mm RM, because they are very different. Maybe, they're underestimating the 7 Mag.

I hate the 300 WM for the reason I just gave, but if you did a rebore, or rebarrel, that would be a logical option, because it's a belted case of similar size, and feeding shouldn't be an issue.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

They ain't making them no more...keep it or sell/trade it to someone who appreciates one of the finest factory-built rifles ever made.

Who understands craftsmanship, not just functionality.

Personally, I MIGHT consider reboring it to 338 win...and take that bad boy hunting.But only on sunny days LOL

Seems like a very nice rifle. I don't think I would take it apart or re-bore it.

I'd either hunt it "as-is" (nothing wrong with the rifle or a 7MAG) or trade it off to someone who wants one in that cartridge. Belgian Brownings tend to carry a hefty premium in most circles.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Who does re-bores? I'd like to do that to a P17 that has a badly pitted barrel.
    hold off on that one, I saw a savage 99 308 featherweight for $400 while I was home. If you want it, that would mike a prime rifle for rebore, or good as is. let me know if you want it.

I would hate to take it apart, for no "good" reason as well. The .338WM I have covered already.

Smitty, I am not a fan of the .300WM either, been hunting with others using that round and the results I witnessed had me confounded and concerned, and compromised. It is sad thing to see a little yearling bull caribou stop 2 rounds of fatory Winchester 200 grain silvertip at 50 yards, broadside, and a few days later have to got into the brush after a wounded, or dead (?) brown that took 4 rounds of the same at 75 yards and less while moving at the shooter the whole time after the initial broadside hit. Admiitedly, there can be discussion about the choice of ammo/bullet. The real kicker was that I was not there when the bear was shot, I was in the tent after a day of pounding by a wind of 30-50mph.

For reference, we were hunting SW Alaska on Big Creek , near Naknek.

We had planned on a brown bear this trip, my buddy wanted one, I was going to back him up...that was the plan. Well, he did not stick to the plan. While in the tent for bit, after taking a break from the wind, he decided to go LOOK for a bear, only look, he promised!

Some time goes by, maybe 45 minutes, (it is now about 45min before dark) next thing I hear is his brother outside the yelling at me to bring my gun, that his brother had shot a bear. I thought he was BS'ing me. Then he runs off, does not even say where this happened. Just about the time I was going to stick my head out of the tent and yell at him, he came running back and say's, "oh yeah, we got a moose too!", ***!

So, here I am at the scene of the crime on a small bluff overlooking Big creek, a dead moose lying between us and the bank of the creek at about 40 yards, no sign of the bear. Then I asked, "what happened, you said you were only going to look!?"

"I was sitting here watching and this bear came wandering down the creek on the other bank, then sat down broadside. I decided to shoot him. I knocked him down and he got up, then he got up and I shot and knocked him down again, then he got up and came across the creek, when he climbed the bank I knocked him down a third time. He got up again and I shot him a fourth time, he went down in the brush and I don't know where he is."

" WHAT!? How can you not know where he is " I asked him and his brother. "There were two of you watching this! Did you make good shots, is he dead?"

"I think so, I don't know."

HEAVY SIGH

"WTH, did you kill a moose, too?"

"Well, right after I shot the bear, the moose came walking down the creek, so brother shot him (.30-06'). You did'nt want us to let a moose go, did you?"

HEAVY SIGH." Nah, that was the whole reason I was out here on a bear infested salmon stream in SW Alaska, so that you could bust our plan and wound a brown bear just before dark and then have your brother drop a moose right next to it!"

"Right! Well, I am going back to the tent. It is almost dark and I sure as hell am not going into the brush in the dark."

Now things get even more interesting!

After a few pulls from the bottle of whiskey to calm buddies nerves, he manages to get some sleep.

First light. With a cloud of dread hanging over us we make our way back to the scene of the crime only to find things much worse.

During the night another bear(s) had moved in and fed on the moose, then covered it. The BIG question now was whether or not we were dealing with 1 or 2 bears lurking in the brush. Was there one alive and guarding it's cache while another wounded bear lies nearby, or was the first bear dead and maybe fed upon also? And, where were they?

After formulating a plan of entering and searching, we got in position with instructions to brother to stay on the bluff and stay alert! Shoot anything that moves, just don't shoot us! We were at 90* angle to brother and downstream of the whole fiasco to start.

After making as much racket as we could muster in an attempt to elicit a response that might lead us to pinpoint a location, with no results, we began creeping through the brush, rifles up and ready-fingers on triggers, and constant vocal contact with each other, we proceded to find what the day held in store for us.

Eventually, I came upon the bear. It was lying in a facedown in a ready to spring position, in a depression surrounded by brush. I alerted my "buddy" to the find and told him to approach it from the rear finger on trigger and poke it between the shoulder blades with the muzzle. "If it moves a hair! Blast it!"

"Nope", he say's. I have to see it's eyes, I going around to the front."

"OK, let me get this straight. You are going to approach it from the business end when it may just be playing possum?"

"Yep. I need to see it's eyes."

"You will put us in a crossfire, I won't let you do it."

It was me who ended up approaching the bear from the rear,as I had suggested earlier, for all our safety.

Thankfully, it was stone dead and stiff as a board.

Now we have the matter of a second bear, and a moose lying dead on the ground and stewing in it's own juice.

Further upstream we move, ready to shoot at the slightest hint of trouble. We found nothing. We determined that the "other" bear had moved on, at least for now.

We skinned the bear, small guy, 7'4" (no skull measurement). I found birdshot in one wrist from a past encounter, presumably with a duckhunter. I inspected the wounds from the .300WM, all 4 were "fatal", ultimately, no broken bones. There was a double lung hit(barely, it was a steep angle just hitting the top of one lung and not enough to drown the lung), the other lung was hit twice while missing the shoulder bones, the other two rounds hit at angles entering mid torso, crossing the body to exit at the rear and again missing bone. The heart was not hit, the liver was.

Shortly after begining to work on the moose, our jetboat ride arrived. The two gentlemen in who arrived stood nervous guard while the three of us dressed and butchered the moose,as required. We packed camp and headed out.

Obviously, there is some room for debate regarding the shot placement, maybe a little for the choice of bullet/ammo, and absolutely no room for debate on the piss-poor decision to break a plan, and shoot a bear AND a moose right before dark, on a bear infested salmon stream. And, in all fairness, I really should not condemn the .300WM for the results, but being that I was put in such a crappy position by none of my doing, I cannot help but feel disdain for it, especially when I have had ideal results with my .338WM.

As for the Belgian Browning, I think it will remain in my safe, I may end up someplace where that 7mm RM becomes something of choice rather than disregard, manufacturer aside.

I hope you all enjoyed my, err.... most interesting hunting experience of the past.

358 Norma Mag.... Had one and still wish I had one again... An FN safari action would be perfect....

Or rebarrel it to .458- two inch American... or the modern equivalent the 450 Marlin.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I would hate to take it apart, for no "good" reason as well. The .338WM I have covered already.

Smitty, I am not a fan of the .300WM either, been hunting with others using that round and the results I witnessed had me confounded and concerned, and compromised. It is sad thing to see a little yearling bull caribou stop 2 rounds of fatory Winchester 200 grain silvertip at 50 yards, broadside, and a few days later have to got into the brush after a wounded, or dead (?) brown that took 4 rounds of the same at 75 yards and less while moving at the shooter the whole time after the initial broadside hit. Admiitedly, there can be discussion about the choice of ammo/bullet. The real kicker was that I was not there when the bear was shot, I was in the tent after a day of pounding by a wind of 30-50mph.

For reference, we were hunting SW Alaska on Big Creek , near Naknek.

We had planned on a brown bear this trip, my buddy wanted one, I was going to back him up...that was the plan. Well, he did not stick to the plan. While in the tent for bit, after taking a break from the wind, he decided to go LOOK for a bear, only look, he promised!

Some time goes by, maybe 45 minutes, (it is now about 45min before dark) next thing I hear is his brother outside the yelling at me to bring my gun, that his brother had shot a bear. I thought he was BS'ing me. Then he runs off, does not even say where this happened. Just about the time I was going to stick my head out of the tent and yell at him, he came running back and say's, "oh yeah, we got a moose too!", ***!

So, here I am at the scene of the crime on a small bluff overlooking Big creek, a dead moose lying between us and the bank of the creek at about 40 yards, no sign of the bear. Then I asked, "what happened, you said you were only going to look!?"

"I was sitting here watching and this bear came wandering down the creek on the other bank, then sat down broadside. I decided to shoot him. I knocked him down and he got up, then he got up and I shot and knocked him down again, then he got up and came across the creek, when he climbed the bank I knocked him down a third time. He got up again and I shot him a fourth time, he went down in the brush and I don't know where he is."

" WHAT!? How can you not know where he is " I asked him and his brother. "There were two of you watching this! Did you make good shots, is he dead?"

"I think so, I don't know."

HEAVY SIGH

"WTH, did you kill a moose, too?"

"Well, right after I shot the bear, the moose came walking down the creek, so brother shot him (.30-06'). You did'nt want us to let a moose go, did you?"

HEAVY SIGH." Nah, that was the whole reason I was out here on a bear infested salmon stream in SW Alaska, so that you could bust our plan and wound a brown bear just before dark and then have your brother drop a moose right next to it!"

"Right! Well, I am going back to the tent. It is almost dark and I sure as hell am not going into the brush in the dark."

Now things get even more interesting!

After a few pulls from the bottle of whiskey to calm buddies nerves, he manages to get some sleep.

First light. With a cloud of dread hanging over us we make our way back to the scene of the crime only to find things much worse.

During the night another bear(s) had moved in and fed on the moose, then covered it. The BIG question now was whether or not we were dealing with 1 or 2 bears lurking in the brush. Was there one alive and guarding it's cache while another wounded bear lies nearby, or was the first bear dead and maybe fed upon also? And, where were they?

After formulating a plan of entering and searching, we got in position with instructions to brother to stay on the bluff and stay alert! Shoot anything that moves, just don't shoot us! We were at 90* angle to brother and downstream of the whole fiasco to start.

After making as much racket as we could muster in an attempt to elicit a response that might lead us to pinpoint a location, with no results, we began creeping through the brush, rifles up and ready-fingers on triggers, and constant vocal contact with each other, we proceded to find what the day held in store for us.

Eventually, I came upon the bear. It was lying in a facedown in a ready to spring position, in a depression surrounded by brush. I alerted my "buddy" to the find and told him to approach it from the rear finger on trigger and poke it between the shoulder blades with the muzzle. "If it moves a hair! Blast it!"

"Nope", he say's. I have to see it's eyes, I going around to the front."

"OK, let me get this straight. You are going to approach it from the business end when it may just be playing possum?"

"Yep. I need to see it's eyes."

"You will put us in a crossfire, I won't let you do it."

It was me who ended up approaching the bear from the rear,as I had suggested earlier, for all our safety.

Thankfully, it was stone dead and stiff as a board.

Now we have the matter of a second bear, and a moose lying dead on the ground and stewing in it's own juice.

Further upstream we move, ready to shoot at the slightest hint of trouble. We found nothing. We determined that the "other" bear had moved on, at least for now.

We skinned the bear, small guy, 7'4" (no skull measurement). I found birdshot in one wrist from a past encounter, presumably with a duckhunter. I inspected the wounds from the .300WM, all 4 were "fatal", ultimately, no broken bones. There was a double lung hit(barely, it was a steep angle just hitting the top of one lung and not enough to drown the lung), the other lung was hit twice while missing the shoulder bones, the other two rounds hit at angles entering mid torso, crossing the body to exit at the rear and again missing bone. The heart was not hit, the liver was.

Shortly after begining to work on the moose, our jetboat ride arrived. The two gentlemen in who arrived stood nervous guard while the three of us dressed and butchered the moose,as required. We packed camp and headed out.

Obviously, there is some room for debate regarding the shot placement, maybe a little for the choice of bullet/ammo, and absolutely no room for debate on the piss-poor decision to break a plan, and shoot a bear AND a moose right before dark, on a bear infested salmon stream. And, in all fairness, I really should not condemn the .300WM for the results, but being that I was put in such a crappy position by none of my doing, I cannot help but feel disdain for it, especially when I have had ideal results with my .338WM.

As for the Belgian Browning, I think it will remain in my safe, I may end up someplace where that 7mm RM becomes something of choice rather than disregard, manufacturer aside.

I hope you all enjoyed my, err.... most interesting hunting experience of the past.
    Enjoyed it a lot, as I had a similar experience up the Nushagak with some greenhorns.
    It taught me to always be careful who I hunt with because they could kill me in many ways without intending to.

338WM:

Goodness, Godness, Agnes:

I don't have the experience that you obviously do, but I get where you're coming from.

Too bad, those guys didn't listen to you, and follow the plan. I can see where it could have ended badly.

It sounds like they just started shootin, without thinkin. Then, they asked your help, and still didn't take your advice, or follow a plan.

I would try very hard to NOT go hunting with those 2 ever again.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

7MM Mag - the National Caliber of the Great State of Texas.

Don't sell the rifle. Either keep it as a 7mm or rebarrel/rebore to 358 Norma. A great addition to your 338WM.