Thread: Canning deer (or other meats)

Default Canning deer (or other meats)

If you can boil water. You can can deer meat. I cut the deer into cubes about 1 1/2 inches square but it doesn't really matter what the shape is. I then pack the raw meat into pint jars and press the meat down tight.

I sprinkle 1/2 teasthingy of salt onto the meat and place the lid and ring on the jar

a lot of WI is around 1100 feet above sea level so I pressure cook mine at 15 psi If you are under 1000 feet above sea level you can use 10 psi. I cook it for 75 minutes. Knowing your elevation is important in canning.

I then remove the canning kettle from the heat and let it sit for five min. I then run it under cold water until the pressure is normalized. That's it.

Canned meat has a long shelf life and requires no freezing. It is a good way to use an old tough deer as pressure cooking tenderizes the meat. It tastes great. I add a couple of cans of meat to a pot of gravy and fork it apart and then serve it over potatoes or rice or noodles. If you want to flavor the meat. You can add BBQ sauce to the can before pressure cooking.

Add some carrots, onions and spuds to the jars when packing your meat in there, the best stew you will ever eat. It makes its own gravy, just heat and eat.
    BK

I've even added spiced mix such as taco, fajitas, enchiladas sauce or chili mix I like the taco & fajitas mix with ptarmigan & duck type meat A little goes a long way when canning too on spices. Stuff is great for taking boating or camping. Heat & eat!

It would take approximately up to 400 pint jars for canning a large moose.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I did this a few years ago with some caribou scraps under my moms advice.
    Turned out great. I would heat in a pan while pulling it apart then add BBQ sauce.
    Put it on a bun and I had excellent Caribque sandwiches.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

We always can a lot because we really like it. We brown the chunks first, then add half an onion and a clove of garlic to each pint jar. Dandy right out of the jar with a little mayo for sandwiches, but you can use if for everything from noodles to stews to spagetti.

Here's an aside for you from the days we had lots of dogs and kids too. We saved veggie trimmings for a week prior to butchering, then put them in a big old pot with all the bones from the deer. Add water to cover and simmer until the meat is falling off the bones. Pull out the shiny white bones and put them in the freezer to dole out to the dogs over the next few weeks or months. Ladle the broth and scraps of meat and veggies into pint canning jars and can as normal. For the next few weeks or months, pour that over your dogs' food. They'll love you for life.

Just not a heck of a lot of waste from any animal with a little thought and effort. And 4-legged friends.

I do this with black bear.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I can my deer using a mixture of Tomato Juice and Vinegar. I brown the venison, and mix the vinegar/juice in a separate saucepan and heat it up. I put the browned venison into the jars and alternate layers of venison and onion/jalapeno peppers. Then fill to within an inch of the top of the jar with the liquid, and throw it in the pressure cooker for 90 minutes. I really like it, it turns out nice and tangy, and the onions and peppers are killer. Even did a batch with Habanero this time around!

IMG_1312.jpg

That look really good. That would rock over rice.

A bullion cube in a quart works pretty good for spices. We try to do 100 jars of various sizes a year. I only brown the meat if I'm canning ground meat. One jar shaped wad of cooked hamburger taught me that lesson
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

If RC didn't mention it, it lasts for years. It is good for feats and famine when you have a big (or tuff) animals and you want tit to get tender and/or last a long time. We do our just liek RC, maybe add a slice of onion and clove of garlic. Suggest adding no new liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H. View Post
    If RC didn't mention it, it lasts for years. It is good for feats and famine when you have a big (or tuff) animals and you want tit to get tender and/or last a long time. We do our just liek RC, maybe add a slice of onion and clove of garlic. Suggest adding no new liquid.
    I like tender tit.

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    I like tender tit.
    "Tit" no additional milk necessary flushing that gamey flavor!