This gun is a Remington Speedmaster .22 cal made in 1958 and is in far worse shape than the old Mossberg I recently restored. It has a lot more rust and the stock is broken. It is also a semi-auto so there are far more pieces to deal with. Like the last gun, this one is also in throw-away condition except that the bore is clean and without rust. the receiver is aluminum and a lot of the finish is gone and there are deep scratches in the metal. Here are some pics.
It has a tubular magazine that is also pretty rusty.
The stock is broken where it meets the receiver.
As well as having a broken butt plate and missing pieces of wood.
I wonder if this is how Remington built the gun 51 years ago?
This one is going to be a real challenge.
I don't think this gun has ever been disassembled or cleaned and I found a lot of grit and grime impacted in all the crevices. Areas that I thought were solid metal were just hardened gunk and once I used solvents and a pick was able to get the parts clean. Only two pins hold the entire trigger mechanism in place.
the whole gun can be disassembled with a screwdriver and a pin punch.
There seems no end to the level of parts that this gun can be broken down into. The large round piece at the bottom is the safety. There was no bluing on it at all and the red (Fire) paint was gone
With a little TLC, it looks like new.
To remove the black anodizing from the aluminum, I used fine grit sandpaper and steel wool. I won't be able to remove a lot of the deep dings and scratches and I'm ok with that. It only has to be a functional working gun and not a show piece.
Here it is after the spray on gun coat was applied and baked.
And the re-assembled trigger mechanism.
The rest of the parts are steel and will need the bluing removed and then I will re-blue and oil them. As soon as I took possession of this gun, I did a search for replacement parts for the wooden stock because I knew I couldn't fix what I had. I went online to Remington's website and they had both pieces of wood (without the butt plate) for $180. I'm sure that is 3 times as much as this gun cost new and since I can buy a new .22 for that much, I looked elsewhere.
As luck would have it, I found not only both pieces of wood but also the butt plate being sold on EBay with only one day left in the auction. It was listed as a buy it now for $25 so I did. The wood was in good shape except for some scratches and the finish missing so I stripped and sanded and found that it was made from hard rock Maple.
I stained the wood with a dark American walnut stain and gave it 6 coats of spar urathane varnish (semi gloss) and then steel
wooled it and applied and oil polish. It turned out nice and dark.
Refinishing the barrel of this old gun was a chore. The rust had pitted the metal pretty deep. There's nothing really that I can do about it so I just have to deal with it. Here is the barrel after all the rust and blue was removed.
A close up shows the pitting.
Here it is after being twice blued.
With all parts refinished, it's time to reassemble this mess of parts. I hope I don't have left over items when finished.
The last thing I added to this gun was a new set of scope mounts and an old fixed 4 power scope. This will make it a good squirrel gun.
Here it is all finished and with a good rub down with orange oil
All that's left to do is sew a case out of that denim fabric the gun was sitting on. One more old gun brought back to life.