Thread: Deep Creek halibut in my Raft

Default Deep Creek halibut in my Raft

Hey all i just had a question for this coming weekend. im going to go catch some butts in my 1" inflatable raft. ive been told to go about 500 yards off shore in about 35+ feet of water and jig for halibut. is there anything else i should know for my trip. any tips would be cool. Another spot i have been told to check out is between the Anchor River and Homer at where the seaweed beds are. thanks vance

So i take it not too many people have done this. well anyways sat morning with weather cooperating i will be out of deep creek in my raft. maybe ill see some of you there. vance

Let us know how you did.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default I saw a guy...

I was there last weekend Friday and Saturday. As I was leaving to go fish Seward Saturday evening, I saw a guy hauling a cataraft down the beach. Maybe he had the same idea? It looked to be about a 14' or 16' raft. Good luck!

be aware that you can't fish withing 1 mile radius of the mouth of deep creek. i fished out there 3 days in a row last weekend and had good luck going about 2 miles SW of deep creek and fishing in ~75 feet of water.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

how far off the shore are you to get in 75 feet of water??? im just curious how far i should venture to catch fish? talking to others that have done it said 35 feet of water is enough but i wouldnt mind trying a few things. im trying halibut saturday morning and saturday evening a kasilof float to see if fishing is picked up at all. thanks again vance

Question Kelp beds

Let me know how you do...I was told by a guide that on his day off he fishes the kelp beds between Anchor point and Homer and does well...I'll be curious if it's just a fish story or not!!

are you rowing your raft or do you have a small motor. I know some friends of mine used to catch halibut within ear shot of the beach. They said they could hear people talking on the beach as they pulled in fish. good luck
    Klickman

i will be rowing. haha but i will definately let you know how i do. im probably going to go to deep creek this weekend and then try the kep beds next weekend. thanks vance

WATCH THE CURRENTS!!!!! Seriously in PWS where the current isn't anywhere close to cook inlet I'd go probably 4 miles per hour.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

use the tides and you'll have a much easier time... when the tide is flooding the current flows from south to north, and vice versa when ebbing. if you work it right you can use this info to your advantage and won't be fighting the tide to get where you're going.
    i didn't mean to mislead you with my last post...you don't have to get to 75 feet of water to catch halibut. generally, your odds increase a bit as you get out from the beach, but not always. i have seen halibut caught in very shallow water, including a 108 pounder from the beach casting into less than 10 feet of water. if you get a half mile from shore you'll probably be fishing in about 35-40 feet of water and should have a decent chance of catching something.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Hey people catch 100 pounders on fly rods...

Default Not Me No Way!!!!

my buddy that i come up with, was raised in anchorage, told me a story, about when he was a about 14 yrs old his dad and him were out there
    somewhere out of homer fishing for halibut,,in a 16 ft zodiac they were acnchored and a roller or swell/wave?? i ain't sure what you call em
    started raising them up but there anchor was hung up on bottom.
    i guess there anchor rope was just long enough to reach bottom.

just about ripped what ever the anchor was tied to, on the raft right off, and almost swamped the boat also.
    they cut the anchor rope, and just went on fishing, like they had good sense!!!!
    not me man..... i am a land lover through and through....
    you would never catch me out there in a raft..
    i cant even go out on them 28'/30' charter boats without thinking i'm gonna die with every dip & roll of the boat..

Default Raft's are good

I like the plan, I would start about 2 hours before low tide, go about 1/2 mile out and drift fish (so you cover lots of ground, as the shallow water halibut may be a bit more spotty). Watch your drift and make sure it doesn't pull you too far off shore. You will drift down from the creek, then when the tide turns you will drift back up the inlet towards your starting point, then you can start back in. And to the man that says he doesn't like to go out in big boats, try bouncing around in big waves in an inflatable, very nice and stable.

Chris..

Oh, and good luck. There definately showing up in hordes now. Was out at flat week before memorial day and had 10 fish boated in less than 3 hours.

ok well i went out at deep creek for about 4 hours probably fished for halibut for 3 of it. then we had kings jumping around me so we tried catching them but that did not work out either. we drifted and tried fishing in probably 25 feet of water. you have to go out there a ways to get in any depth and i did not want to go out anny further, it was completely safe even with the tide going out but i did not want to row further, even though i trolled for kings. haha im going to fish the kelp beds down south in 2 weeks so i will let you know how i d. thanks

cool! Hope you get into some kings