Thread: RG245 - Port Valdez South Goat

Smile RG245 - Port Valdez South Goat

Good Afternoon All,

I am currently looking in to the RG245 Port Valdez South goat hunt (Link to Map Below) and was wondering if anyone had any experience in that area and would be willing to share. I have hunted mountain goat before and have several miles of Chugach mountain experience under my belt - So am very well aware of the dangers goat hunting, especially winter goat hunting, present.

I am looking at traveling directly up either Sulphide Gulch or Abercrombie Gulch and glassing the windswept portions of the ridges and alpine zones. Hopefully I will not have to get way back in there to see anything!

Once again if anyone has any comments/suggestions I would greatly appreciate them!

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hu.../pdf/RG245.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Track1202 View Post
    Good Afternoon All,

I am currently looking in to the RG245 Port Valdez South goat hunt (Link to Map Below) and was wondering if anyone had any experience in that area and would be willing to share. I have hunted mountain goat before and have several miles of Chugach mountain experience under my belt - So am very well aware of the dangers goat hunting, especially winter goat hunting, present.

I am looking at traveling directly up either Sulphide Gulch or Abercrombie Gulch and glassing the windswept portions of the ridges and alpine zones. Hopefully I will not have to get way back in there to see anything!

Once again if anyone has any comments/suggestions I would greatly appreciate them!

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hu.../pdf/RG245.pdf
    Done that one a few times. Theres definitely goats and they are easy to spot. Getting them is a whole nother story. Just depends on where you find them so just hope they are in the right spot.

Are you going in on foot or a snow machine? Sulfide will get you up a little higher starting from the ROW. Try glassing from about 5 or 6 mile on the Richardson.
    You'll want to be aware of the avalanch conditions.

mtnclimber - Are we talking getting cliffed out/crossing large bodies of water, etc?

ALASKA RASTUS - We are planning on walking in. Also, forgive my ignorance - What is the ROW?

Once again, thank you both for helping me out!

mtnclimber - Are we talking getting cliffed out/crossing large bodies of water, etc?
    Can't say for sure what he meant as I don't know the area, but there might be a good chance he's just talking about there being too much snow? I've been on late season registration goats hunts (way earlier than this) before where we got to the area but there was no way of going after them just because there was too much snow.....and that was even with snow shoes. Also remember the areas where the goats are may be wind swept and looks to be not much snow, but getting up to that position may put you in serious avalanche danger as well. Keep that in mind as, from what I hear, the chance for this right now is very high.

If you do end up getting up to the goats, have you ever looked for them in deep snow? One thing I can tell you that is a good way to find them is, when using the spotting scope, look for shadow trails. Meaning, just look for darker lines cutting across the snow. These lines are the troughs they leave walking in deep snow and they will leave a shadow against a white hillside. When you find one just try and follow it one way or another till you find a goat. Sometimes it's a lot easier to look for these rather than a white animal on a white hillside. Of course they are more cream colored but still, dark horizontal lines on a mountain are easier to spot to start out with.

Oh and remember that goats will come a considerable distance down a mountain in the deep snow. So don't spend all your time looking for them all the way up on the tops.

Be careful and Good Luck...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Didn't even think about the horizontal lines trick - That makes a heck of a lot more sense then trying to spot a white animal in snow. Definitely have gotten the pucker factor from avalanche zones before... Watched several happen roughly over an hour time frame back by Eagle Peak in April. Very humbling.

I appreciate all the info!

ALASKA RASTUS - We are planning on walking in. Also, forgive my ignorance - What is the ROW?

You are only ignorant if you don't ask. ROW= Pipeline Right of Way.
    This might be a tough hunt for this time of year factoring in the short daylight hours, distance up to goat country on foot, and the snow depth. Also you would have to hit a good weather window as the snow / wind / low ceiling can sock in for days or weeks at a time.
    I don't mean to rain on your parade but you would have to hit everthing just right.
    Good Luck Be Safe!!

I understand completely. If we get socked in it'll just turn into a camping trip down to Valdez! As long as they serve beer I'll be just fine

What time of year are you planning on going? The devils clubs up there way where the worst I've ever dealt with and a lot of the area isn't real accessible. Depends on your climbing skill. I guess it presents a typical goat hunts dangers: Cliffs, devils clubs, rivers, and inaccessible mountains. You shouldn't have any trouble finding goats which is always nice. PM me and i can give you specifics

PM Sent!

If anyone has more tips/suggestions for winter goat hunting I would love to hear them! Already have plenty of solid information already contributed that doesn't jeopardize anyone's honey hole. Hope this can be used in the future for this little known registration hunt!

Has anyone had much success with this hunt off the road or pipeline system? The odds look pretty slim for most of 6D without a boat or airplane.