Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go Pro on a down rigger ball legality question?

Default Go Pro on a down rigger ball legality question?

I had a guy tell me today that it is illegal to put any kind of camera on a downrigger. Is this true? I can't find anything on it in the regs. I just fabed up one and really want to go try it tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure he's full of it, but hopefully someone else will chime in. We want some cool video posts!!!
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

I've never seen anything like that. They camera system specifically for this purpose and they're used everywhere. Jeff over in Old Harbor has some sweet videos of kings with his Aqua Vu system.

I didn't see any mention of it being illegal in a quick search, but that would be something I would follow up with a call to ADF&G just to double check. The fishing regs are split up into multiple sections, so it wouldn't be hard to miss something mentioned in one of the "other" sections you might not have looked at. It could also be a specific limitation to one area or region or type of fishing that he is referring to that might not be applicable to what you are trying to do.

This BB includes a forum entitled "Ask an Alaskan Wildlife Trooper". Seems like your question is exactly what the forum was created to answer.

Give it a try. Can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cohoangler View Post
    This BB includes a forum entitled "Ask an Alaskan Wildlife Trooper". Seems like your question is exactly what the forum was created to answer.

Give it a try. Can't hurt.
    yeah except the op wanted to give it a try this decade, I think...

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakbound View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's full of it, but hopefully someone else will chime in. We want some cool video posts!!!
    Bingo, hit the nail on the head.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Never heard of such a thing. I wouldn't worry about it!

Glad there is not a reg on that, doesn't seem like any kind of fishing advantage. On the Ask a Trooper forum, only the troopers can ask questions and then answer them, that is why there is hardly any activity on that forum...

Hope you don't mind if I cut/paste your Q on the Alaska Trooper forum. I'd like to see what type of response there is, and how much time it takes to get an answer.

Yeah go for it Cohoangler. I think the guy is full of it also. I am going to try and get out tomorrow and do some trolling. I would think if it was illegal that the guys with charter companys wouldn't put up videos.

Toad-ja...only a Trooper can pose a question, perhaps you can convince them to pose this one though, I think you can submit ideas for their consideration, but you cannot start a new thread as on other forums. Go the the Ask a Trooper forum, you will see all are posed by Troopers, and only 2-3 have a response, others are all zero. GREAT QUESTION THOUGH! but with all the videos underwater that some charters and private folks put on this forum there can't be anything wrong with it...

Just another fish finder... its still up to the fish.

Take the treble hooks off and you'll be good to go!! hand over face.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Sounds ridiculous to me...of course I am trying to build one. Lol. Gopro won't give you any advantage anyways unless you can figure out a way to transmit wifi through water...working on that too but my solution so far might work at ice fishing depths but not deep enough for down rigging. The delay on gopro wifi even on land doesn't make it very useful.

They would ban the aqua view type real time cameras first I would think.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Whoever told you that is full of dookie. Ive heard all kinds of stories on the water. A guy told me I couldnt wear a head lamp while fishing at night, ok buddy yeah. As long as it doesn't have another hook tied to it whats the difference between running that down a down rigger or a bag of chum (except you camera doesnt smell like a bag of fish guts).
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I would ask the person who told you this to put up or shut up.lol
    If he can't show you in the regs where it says it is illegal then he is full of BS.
    I know people have been doing this for many years and am positive it is legal.
    What would the reasoning be for this to be illegal? It just doesn't make sense that it would be.
    Please post up some videos when you get some edited.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

How deep can a person put a GoPro that will not damage it? do they make a case for deep water?

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    How deep can a person put a GoPro that will not damage it? do they make a case for deep water?
    60 meters/ 180 ft in its basic case right out of the box. I've had it town to 100ft. The limiting factor becomes the lighting in its out of the box configuration.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

I sent the Q to the 'Ask an Alaska Trooper' forum. All Q's need to be submitted under Private Messages, so it does not show up on the forum. Questions submitted may or may not be answered, depending on the circumstances.

BTW - I find the AaAT forum quite "user hostile", to the point of being almost useless. I'm sure they're concerned about legal impllications, but the concerns seem to be overkill.

Nevertheless, I'm not optimistic an answer will be forthcoming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast