Thread: About that .348 Ackley Improved

Default About that .348 Ackley Improved

First my thanks to Bryan at WWG for re-chambering the barrel!

I ordered the RCBS dies from Midway. I fire-formed some brass with 45gr of H4895 and Hornady's 200gr interlock.
    Several rounds later I settled for this load: 58gr, H4895 and Woodleigh 250gr.
    FPS: 2443, 2425, 2458, 2441, 2456, 2453, 2451, 2457, 2438, 2420, 2447, 2431...
    Average FPS: 2443. FT/lbs: 3300

For curiosity I tried Hornady 200gr, 61gr H4895.
    FPS: 2665, 2668, 2709, 2698, 2652.

And also I tried 62gr H4895.
    FPS: 2711, 2732, 2720, 2721, 2731.
    There was one case separation and bolt mark on one shell.

I wasn't hunting this fall, since we have enough meat from last year's moose. So naturally, you see game everywhere. We had 500 caribou around the house for a few days, and came close to a couple of bull moose.

This rifle was superb the way it was, but now it's a jewel!
    Accuracy is okay for me at 2'' 100 yards, and 3'' at 150 yards.

I'll let you know what happens next fall.

I love lever guns and that ones a dandy. Same fps that I get with a 358 with like weight bullets.

It's practical, should make everything you point it at dead and it's just enough off the beaten path that I really like it!

Now ya just need to have Andy(ADFields) build you a sweet little critter levergun.... 92 Rossi .256 Winchester! It'd be a perfect and fun gun to get that little cutie your holding started!

Good on ya for only shootin what you can eat! That's the kind of stewardship that needs to spread. It's kinda how God intended it when he gave man dominion over the earth!

nice work they did on ur rifle! I remember your moose last year, a 250 grain woodleigh performed flawlessly with one bullet recovered weighing in excess of 90 percent of it's original weight. That bullet should do the trick again. Beware of those 200 grain interlocks though. I had destroyed an entire moose front quarter with a 358 handload that pushed the same velocities as your loads with a 200 grain interlock. With all that case capacity, you ever think about swaging down the 310 grain/.358 woodleigh? Nice style yah got there!

I bought my daughter a CZ550 FS,6.5x55.swarovski 2.5x42.
    Maybe in half dozen years from now she can get started.
    I fired few rounds last fall and possibly is my best shooting rifle.3/4''@ 100yds!
    I was concerned about that full stock but no worries.
    GB

What do you need in order to swag down a bullet?
    I think I might go for a 300gr Hawks...?
    To reduce pressure,is it possible that on a AI the distance to riflings lands is increased?
    There's quite a difference compare to a standard .348 shell and the Ackley's it seems.

when I was 14 yrs old, I was conducting a good push in the outhouse while reading an old handloading magazine. In there, was talk of swaging down 286 grainers for the .358 shooting times alaskan. these were 9.3 bullets! I tried myself with a lee swaging die many years later. I swaged down 9.3 bullets to .358. Worked like a charm, and no spring-back with bonded woodleighs. I shot those handloads, without a hitch.
    My reasoning, was that the 286 grain round nosed bullets were shorter, taking up very little space in the little .358 winchester case. My powder of choice was too hot though, so I eventually switched to the 275 grain spitzer woodleighs. Figured I'd have better velocity out at 300 yds for expansion.

BUT, for a .348 ackley improved, that's some serious powder capacity. 60+ grains aint no joke. You swage down a 310 grain woodleigh round nose, and you're going places. Mr-2000 would be a better powder due to the mild pressure curve. Even reloader 15 should "doer". Akheloce used the 310 grain woodliegh round nose out of the .35 whelen, which probably has less case capacity than your 348 AI. If you do this though, you will never recover a bullet again, unless it's a head-on shot. 250 grainers can occasionally be recovered, not the case with the heavier ones. I honestly envision 2250-2300 fps from that 310 grain woodliegh. I'm not too fond of north forks, nor hawks, they're not as good as bonded woodleighs.

Get some lee swaging dies. Swaging down one caliber won't hurt a thing, trust me. Make sure to check the final diameter for signs of springback, especially with non-bonded bullets, a micrometer is a better tool than calipers for this task. I bought a .348 swaging dies for a possible second swaging because I was scared of springback, didn't even need to use it to achieve .358 caliber bullets with woodleighs.

I used to file tips for tubular magazines, but lately, I've been putting them in a vice with a flat piece of steel. The tip is rendered flat, with no distortion. Cartridge Overall length might vary slightly, BUT....overall diameter won't vary much from the ogive, which is all that matters. Woodleigh 310 grainers have plenty of exposed lead, they will render flat.

You, Akheloce, and I are the only ones I've observed round here, using woodleighs for bull moose. Check out the canoe forum for some moose huntin lever "action"