Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landing Craft?

Default Landing Craft?

Just curious if there is anyone on here who has experience with landing craft type of vessels (more commercial like)? I am thinking it is a niche type of service but also would do well for those who are remote but on navigable rivers or being on a bay or the actual ocean, say an island.

I am asking because I am planning ahead so I can have the LC bring larger supplies I could not bring in myself in a small boat or plane.
    Life is to short, live life to the fullest

homerdave runs a water taxi/landing craft in Homer. Send him a note - he should be able to offer some guidance and/or service if you happen to need something in Kachemak Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by cressaar View Post
    Just curious if there is anyone on here who has experience with landing craft type of vessels (more commercial like)? I am thinking it is a niche type of service but also would do well for those who are remote but on navigable rivers or being on a bay or the actual ocean, say an island.

I am asking because I am planning ahead so I can have the LC bring larger supplies I could not bring in myself in a small boat or plane.
    Here are some guys that run LC type craft, freighting on a couple of Alaskan Rivers, you might talk to them and get some feed back.,
    They also haul freight by snow machine and freight sleds in the winter, so there's no telling when you might get ahold of them.

Larry Heater (907) 495-1285

John Little, Skwentna Freight (907) 230-7785

Ron Van Wavern, River Express Freighting (907) 354-7001

Some info on a location you'll need the LC for might help !

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Funny you should ask. Having one built that will be started in a few weeks. 24'x 84" bottom, tunnel hull for shallow river running w/ HJ212 and 300hp diesel. Should be here in AK by April.

Great feedback gentlemen. I guess letting you know where would have help. I am looking for land up the Yentna or Susitna maybe between 30-50 miles up. Will it be deep enough for most of the boats that I was given contact numbers for? I am thinking that it would be great to be able to fill up a conex box to be delivered.

I don't think there's any boats big enough to carry a conex box running the Yentna. Mr. Heater does allot of tranport service up there with props and I'm pretty sure he's not big enough to carry an conex. But I could be wrong. We rebuild all of his props each year and he goes through quite a few of them. He would definitely be a good resource to answer any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    Funny you should ask. Having one built that will be started in a few weeks. 24'x 84" bottom, tunnel hull for shallow river running w/ HJ212 and 300hp diesel. Should be here in AK by April.
    Hows the dependability of the FNM I hear that the Bold Eagle in Valdez can't keep a FNM running very long. Is that BS or not.

Cresaar,
    It is much easier to freight stuff in winter.
    Loading a boat at the landing is a pain, one piece at a time. In the winter, ride your sled to the drop point and unload, no ferrying it up a river bank one piece at a time to your building site.
    Plus a sled and good trailer are leaps and bounds more economical to haul a load with.

Keep in mind you will handle all the materials about 4-5 times before you finally use it.

Larry Heater is your man!
    BK

Old John thanks for the tips and the contact #s. I will be trying to get ahold of them soon. BK thanks for the advise. I will be up there soon to check out a few parcels and seeing the different ways to get supplies in.

The best way to deliver a connex to a remote location is a helicopter.

As much as I'd love a few acres and a cabin off the road system, I keep coming back to the time and expense in accessing such a property. When you factor in the cost of the vehicles, suddenly road accessible property is much less expensive than remote. There are also going to be several weeks during freezup and breakup where the only way in or out is aircraft.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The best way to deliver a connex to a remote location is a helicopter.

As much as I'd love a few acres and a cabin off the road system, I keep coming back to the time and expense in accessing such a property. When you factor in the cost of the vehicles, suddenly road accessible property is much less expensive than remote. There are also going to be several weeks during freezup and breakup where the only way in or out is aircraft.
    Paul, I was using a connex mostly as a reference to how much stuff I would liked delivered at a time, maybe even a couple times a summer. Plus I think about how guest might want to hire these services to be able to bring themselves and their supplies when visiting. Luckily I am a airplane and helicopter pilot (although I would not buy a helicopter) and can fly out when I want but do not necessarily want to be flying guest in and out.

Old John thanks for the tips and the contact #s. I will be trying to get ahold of them soon. BK thanks for the advise. I will be up there soon to check out a few parcels and seeing the different ways to get supplies in.

Cressaar
    If I was starting all over again, I'd go to an air service in Willow and pay for a flight seeing trip up the Yentna to look at the terrain and river, from the air, Then I'd go to Larry Heater and pay him to haul me to look at the properties from the River. Once I selected a property, I'd set down with pencil & paper and do some serious planning (thinking). At some point your not going to want to keep paying a transporter to haul you back and forth, so what mode of transportation are you going to invest in? Air or Water for Summer, and Snowmachine or Plane for winter. If your parcel needs some clearing prior to building do that in the summer. pencil in the plans for a cabin, shed, etc. and plan to freight all that in, in the winter - as others have said, handle it to load it, handle it to unload, don't make it harder than it has to be..
    and as for the river front property 30-50 miles up the Yentna... Bring lots and lots of $$$ Were you to settle for some property a mile or two back off the river you'd only need to bring $$. I tell you all of this because it's pretty much the exact opposite of how I went about it... I come from a very long line of very stubborn people, so I had to do it the hard way...

Do you have floats for your airplane? If not you would need to construct a runway. There will be times that the weather will determine if and when flying would be possible. I know someone who has some riverfront property up around the corner from the Yentna Station Roadhouse, I think he wants 40 grand for about 16 acres.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Old John, all over it. TearBear, both. I mostly wanted numbers of those who offer the type of service I was asking about. So far the preplanning has been going great.

Here’s a couple pictures of one we’re working on. Glen

Great pics Glen

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Here's mine, 3500# cargo capacity.

Dad & his boat 2.jpg

Paul, I was using a connex mostly as a reference to how much stuff I would liked delivered at a time, maybe even a couple times a summer. Plus I think about how guest might want to hire these services to be able to bring themselves and their supplies when visiting. Luckily I am a airplane and helicopter pilot (although I would not buy a helicopter) and can fly out when I want but do not necessarily want to be flying guest in and out.
    They call that 134 1/2, you won't get a 135 in this state in next ten yrs!! Unless you buy it from someone looking to get out, you and I think "remote living" totally different if your looking at several conexes a summer! I would be out in that equation

How big a place are you going to build ??? must be going to be a "business" ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast